BioWare Defends DLC Business Strategy

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I've always been rather easy-going (by that I mean lazy)...too much so to get REALLY pissed off about any of this crap. But then again, I didn't run into the woods and maul a deer in pure rage at the original ending to ME 3 either. Yes, it's taking advantage of the fanbase to wave stuff like "Oooooooo, look! Shiny Keys and a Prothean squadmate!" in front of them and charge them $10 for it......knowing full well that most will likely say "fuck you" as the fork over the cash. I know I certainly did, also bought this new Firefight pack because damnit, I wanted to blow shit up with the Krysae in single player (that gun totally breaks the game, btw).

But, in comedian Lewis Black's words, "don't pull down your pants and shit on my head." Or more plainly, don't piss in my face and tell me it's raining. "Oh our fans LOVE paying for all this little bullshit we force-feed them! See how much they keep buying it? Clearly they're using this stuff to masturbate!"

Dr.Panties said:
Ah, the sweet scent of corporate spin. Breathe deep, fellow consumers.
*sniff* Smells like burning ass-fat.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
edos63 said:
blalien said:
I'm sorry people. I think a lot of you have legitimate points to make, but when your argument boils down to "I don't want to pay money for things," it becomes physically painful to read. Paid DLC and preorder bonuses aren't going away, for the simple reason that things cost money to make and the profit margin for video games is stretched razor thin. We might as well find a way that we'll be happy with it.
Yeah, keep eating Bioware's bullshit. After reading that article about CDProject Red last week, it's hardly surprising that people are complaining about what this Fernando Melo is saying.
I swear to God, the last three times I said anything on a thread about Mass Effect, the response involved eating feces. What the hell?

UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I am not happy. My friend paid $60 but I guess only one of us can enjoy the game to the fullest extent.
There's a solution to this. You have to leave your house, walk into another building, and hand a guy some green pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on them.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I'm happy to pay extra?
Fuck off BioWare. Please don't fully become EA. I want to like you. But this is asinine

DLC is fine. Overpriced DLC is annoying. Day One DLC is absolute bullshit.
Online passes can get bent

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
I still haven't bought ME3, and this is pretty much the reason. I remember that me2 was good, but felt that it had parts cut out (no real weapon choice outside of dlc) so this just gives me more reason to keep on waiting for a GOTY edition. I know it's a good game but I don't want to buy into this business model.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Oh, I'm happy to pay for DLC all the time, am I?
Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea!
I was sure I hated it, but I guess I was wrong.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
day one "DLC" is inexcusable when it is already on the disk then it is just simply labeled locking features that were meant to be in the game anyway but we are going to gouge people to get the stuff. EA had done this with many games over the years all of which i never bought.

but i got the special edition of me2 got the online pass, got the dlc included in the price etc because me 1 was a amazing game with a great story and i wanted the most out of me2 especially when bioware decided not to farm out the dlc for others to do for 2 like they did for the wholly meh dlc for 1.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm done supporting this developer after Dragon Age 3. They'll probably go the way of Westwood anyway.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Redhawkmillenium said:
Mass Effect 3's "From Ashes" DLC was NOT on the disc.
It wasn't on the disc, it was in the game. By using a savegame editor, one can have Javik recruited, and the game will proceed as if you have the DLC. "From Ashes" only includes the mission to get him.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i seem to recall that alot of it was on the disk, that the "dl" was just art assets and whatnot, might be wrong on that but i have had plenty of other games over the years that had day one dlc where dl was not involved in any way.

i just hate the whole practice of day one dlc, sell us the whole game or not, you want to create new content after the fact for it and charge us for it fine, but do not try to sell me that the "from ashes" dlc was optional or was never part of the game because he had a major and i mean major part in the story he was a key character in the game he was none of the other scrub dlc characters that got a mission or two and a few lines of canned dialogue like kasume and whats his name.

his and shepherds interactions shed alot of light on some things and make the character think about his motivations for doing all this, from ashes should have been on the disk to start period.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
Doom972 said:
Redhawkmillenium said:
Mass Effect 3's "From Ashes" DLC was NOT on the disc.
It wasn't on the disc, it was in the game. By using a savegame editor, one can have Javik recruited, and the game will proceed as if you have the DLC. "From Ashes" only includes the mission to get him.
Which is still not on the disc or in the game out of the box.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
There's still no excuse for day one DLC that doesn't make you seem like a money-grubbing douche.

Excessive DLC is actually a reason I avoid buying games, I don't consider it an incentive to spend a bunch of money for a game then have to spend the same amount or more just to get the 'full experience'.

When the DLC actually racks up to be more expensive that the game itself, that is unacceptable.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
Offering real-money transactions for convenience or in-game money for time and patience offers the best of both worlds, according to Melo. "Gamers are actually happier, as they are able to spend money when they want."
Yes, we're happier because we have too much money and nowhere to spend it. That is some sensible logic you got there.

Nov 28, 2007
Let me sum up my position.

1) Day one DLC can go fuck off. If it's not ready when production is locked down, fine. But don't expect me to shell out for it on day one. That sets a bad precedent.

2) The microtransitions in ME3 are not a big deal. Yes, you CAN spend Microsoft points to get more weapons, more classes, more races, etc. But the beauty of it is, you don't have to. You can earn credits in-game to do the same thing. It just takes a bit longer.

3) Yes, Bioware likes to make money. They are a business. Businesses tend to be fond of green papers. Or magenta, if you are in Australia. Do they still care about the customer? Yeah. Just look at what they did with the EC. That was beyond what most companies do, and shows that Bioware does care about the fans. But complaining because Bioware is greedy is like complaining that you got your shirt wet when you fell in the lake. It's a company. It needs money to survive. Ergo, more money is a good thing to them. You don't like it? That's fine. You don't have to buy the DLC. But don't act like Bioware is a total jerk who abandoned their fanbase because they put in the OPTION for microtransactions.

If they had truly abandoned their fanbase, they would have said "You don't like the ending? Well, too bad. That's the ending you get. Deal with it." Instead, they went above and beyond to fix the ending to please gamers, without completely changing their vision. And what thanks do they get? A bunch of people complaining that the ending still sucks, that they didn't really fix it, and that EA is killing them, and has been killing them since DA2.

Captcha: want more? Hell yeah. I still love Bioware.

Edit: And if you think that them doing the EC was no big deal, consider this. They had to have the art directors come in to make new scenes. They had to have the main cast of voice actors, including Lance Henriksen, come back in to do new lines. And they swallowed however much that cost to give it to the fans for free. In this day and age, that is an amazing amount of effort to reconnect with the fanbase.