Get a Glimpse of Hearthfire's Buildings

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Get a Glimpse of Hearthfire's Buildings

You can start building your own house in Skyrim today.

The joy of Skyrim was always feeling like you embodied a living world. The single-player nature of the RPG felt different than an MMO, but there were systems in place that modeled a simulation of a fantasy economy which I really dug. The latest DLC from Bethesda expands the investment idea by allowing you to design and build your own space within Skyrim, which will ultimately feel more personal than the choice of player homes in the major cities. That you'll get to move in with you spouse and even adopt a few kids is just gravy. Hearthfire is out today, so, if you have time, throw down 400 Microsoft points and set your Xbox to download the DLC so you can start building your home as soon as you get, ahem, home.

[gallery=888]

The screenshots Bethesda released today give us a little taste of what's in store. I especially like the drafting desk in the middle of the wilderness. I could totally see my dragonborn - An elf from the Thalmor. What? I like playing against type. Sue me. - tinkering with the plans while a huge blood dragon flies overhead. I can't be bothered to kill you silly dragon, I have a house to build!

I am looking forward to playing with all of the new stuff Hearthfire has to offer, more so than the vampire-killing in Dawnguard. Now if only Bethesda would get that PC version out there soon. Given that it took more than month for the last DLC, I'll be moving into my new domain sometime in October.

Source: Hearthfire [http://bethsoft.com/en-us/games/hearthfire]

Nepenthe87

Apr 28, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]Can you build anything that isn't a boring hunting lodge of some sort?
I hope so. It would be cool if there were blueprints from all the different countries/races of Tamriel and not just Nord Architecture.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Fr said:
Exactly what I was thinking. I was hoping to put together my own tower or keep perched on a mountain top somewhere. Then again, I haven't looked to see if there are any mods that would already let me do that out on the steam workshop...

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
You get to pick between three buildings and you cant pick the location yourself....

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Still no word on a PS3 version, I see. It's not like I want it for any other reason than to put up statues in garish places, but hey.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
So when you build something do you just throw money at it or does chopping wood have a new purpose?

Also,their releasing a DLC about building stuff while they've failed (yes,after this long it is contractually a failure.) to release the 1st DLC to all 3 marketed platforms. I find it a bit ironic.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I feel bad for console gamers who have to buy dlc to be able to do stuff like this.
No wait I don't, its nice to see non pc gamers getting the shaft for once

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I am so going to get this.

The most fun I ever had with my dad was building a barn.
Sure it was hard work, but I never had so much fun with my dad.

Shame it seems so limited.

gopher_666

Jan 11, 2010
Must be a different council running skyrim on the 360 as on the ps3 my home is still stuck at the planning permission phase. I bet it was that damn Thalmor holding things up just cos I dumped 100 pumpkins on his lawn.

gopher_666

Jan 11, 2010
Must be a different council running skyrim on the 360 as on the ps3 my home is still stuck at the planning permission phase. I bet it was that damn Thalmor holding things up just cos I dumped 100 pumpkins on his lawn.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Fr said:
Three different types of houses I believe. Even if you don't find one you want I'm sure some modders will take the DLC's framework and use it for some more varied offerings.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah for it to really be worth the money, I would want to be able to build with stone, wood and to dig under ground.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
What I'm wondering is if you get to choose between different city styles, this one is obviously Whiterun, can you also get Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth etc style houses?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Lucane said:
So when you build something do you just throw money at it or does chopping wood have a new purpose?

Also,their releasing a DLC about building stuff while they've failed (yes,after this long it is contractually a failure.) to release the 1st DLC to all 3 marketed platforms. I find it a bit ironic.
Dawnguard already added a use for firewood, with Arrow crafting. But beyond that, I don't know.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
This is an old mod.. Oh, you get to pay for it now... I guess that is the backside of having such a talented modding community.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
KingsGambit said:
Everyone is looking forward to a mod that a player already made almost 3 months ago [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18480].
plainlake said:
This is an old mod.. Oh, you get to pay for it now... I guess that is the backside of having such a talented modding community.
Consoles don't have mods. Stop being elitist and choosing to ignore such things, just because your happy with your platform of choice doesn't mean you have to be smug bastards about it.

OT: I'll wait for the wiki entry to see how extensive it is before contemplating buying it, after all it is pretty cheap.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
plainlake said:
Actually, that's the thing I'm fuzzy on, and I'd actually like to hear from someone who actually picked up the DLC...

The mod is a specific place, you go there, and you build a specific player home a piece at a time, with a few alternate options...

The impression I get from Hearthfire is that you've got multiple build sites, and you can configure the house somewhat. But I don't know if it's more flexibility than just, "you can build these specific upgrades in these specific places."

EDIT: I checked, and the game adds three different build plots, all of which can be purchased, so yes, we're already ahead of the Skyrim mod, if not the Real Time Settler mod for Fallout 3.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Finally, I get to make a house. A real home for myself. No more breaking into dunmer sorority houses and slitting all the residents' throats and dumping their bodies in the desert just because they live in a house with two floors.

Some of us didn't know about the Morrowind Editor, okay?