EA Saving New IPs for Next Hardware Cycle

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA Saving New IPs for Next Hardware Cycle

"The market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle," says EA's Frank Gibeau.

The next twelve months are looking sequel-heavy for EA. With the release of new installments in the Dead Space, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed and Army of Two franchises, as well as the usual yearly sports title updates, things are looking a bit bleak on the creativity front. According to EA Labels president, Frank Gibeau, it's going to stay that way until Sony and Microsoft get around to releasing new consoles, as EA is saving all its shiny new ideas for the next hardware cycle.

"If you look at the market dynamics: as much as there's a desire for new IP, the market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle; they end up doing okay, but not really breaking through," he told GamesIndustry International. "We have to shepherd the time that our developers spend, as well as the money that we spend on development in a positive way, so we're focused on bringing out a bunch of new IPs around the next generation of hardware."

The company has "three to five" new IPs in line for next-gen. That is, next-gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft. The Wii U doesn't seem to count. Aside from ports of Mass Effect 3, FIFA 13 and Madden NFL 13 the publisher hasn't announced much of anything for Nintendo's upcoming console.

"The time to launch an IP is at the front-end of the hardware cycle," Gibeau argued. "If you look historically the majority of new IPs are introduced within the first 24 months of each cycle of hardware platforms,"

Gibeau's comments echo those of Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.382969-Ubisoft-New-Consoles-Help-Creativity] who earlier this year argued that companies are being "penalized by the lack of new consoles" and that "at the end of a console generation, [customers] want new stuff, but they don't buy new stuff as much."

Much like Guillemot, Gibeau believes the industry is overdue a new generation of consoles, pointing out that the current hardware cycle has been the longest he's seen.

This argument hasn't stopped the likes of Bethesda, Square Enix, Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog from announcing and releasing new IPs during the twilight years of this generation.

Source: GamesIndustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-03-frank-gibeau-order-chaos-and-a-new-golden-age-of-gaming]

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, who wants to start a new IP with old consoles that already have a dedicated userbase and is guaranteed to have a larger potential audience then a brand new console? Not us, that's who!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Xbox 720/PS4 comes out early 2013: "EA announces new, innovative FPS franchise! Modern Conflict 1: Duty Calls. Set in narrow corridors filled with camping 13-year-old's screaming '******!' into headsets, the ultra-realistic military simulator will be released November 11, 2013. Not many big corporations will take risks on such shockingly new and refreshing ideas, a round of applause for EA, please. In other news, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 is slated to release November 11, 2013."

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
1) The WiiU is here, meaning the next generation of consoles is already here.
2) Saving new IP's for the next Microsoft and Sony consoles is basically saying they aren't comfortable with these IP's and want to release them at a time where it doesn't matter if they release crap.
3) Why abandon cash cows?

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Where...

What...

How...

Why...

SERIOUSLY? EA, please, for your own sake. Complete media silence. Save what is left of your company. Shut the fuck up.

Apr 28, 2008
EA, when you say new IP's, do you mean titles that actually innovate, or titles that are just more shooters aimed at the largest market but have a name without a number at the end of it?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
By new IP's I assume they mean titles without numbers at the end and buffed up graphics and maybe some funny at first gimmicks.

Does make sense though, in a business sense.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Slayer_2 said:
Xbox 720/PS4 comes out early 2013: "EA announces new, innovative FPS franchise! Modern Conflict 1: Duty Calls. Set in narrow corridors filled with camping 13-year-old's screaming '******!' into headsets, the ultra-realistic military simulator will be released November 11, 2013. Not many big corporations will take risks on such shockingly new and refreshing ideas, a round of applause for EA, please. In other news, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 is slated to release November 11, 2013."
Getting it day one.

OT: I don't think Battlefield 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 counts as a new IP.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
EA, as far as I'm concerned, you've already dug yourself a 12 ft. grave and are surviving purely on the stupidity and ignorance of your consumer base. If I were you (and by "you" I mean a decision making position within the company) I wouldn't be holding anything back at this point, or at the very least I wouldn't go announcing that I'm holding things back. Seriously, some people just shouldn't be allowed to speak in public.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Dumb EA morons. Their plan is probably to save those new IPs and then rely almost entirely on them for the entire next-gen.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
What's that EA? You don't actually have any new IPs so you're telling us that you're waiting for the next console generation?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/312/563/05d.jpg

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Vault Citizen said:
If memory serves wasn't the fist Gid if War game released quite late in the Ps2's life span?
I believe it was released in 2005 (the year the 360 came out) with the sequel coming out in 2007. It goes without saying that both were extremely commercially successful.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
To be fair the PS2 was/is an AMAZING system.

The Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox weren't really a 'threat' to the PS2 given it's runaway success.

Right now there's a GOOD reason to make 'equal' games for both the 360 and PS3...maybe even the WiiU.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know what EA, as much as I disagree with your statement, if it means that we get a Mirror's Edge 2 sharpish then I won't particularly care that all your trying to say is that you're going to milk these new IPs dry next-gen. At least in the short term anyway.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Makes sense to me. For every God of War that came out late in a console generation there were several Psychonauts that ended up dead in the water. Sure Psychonauts may have failed if released earlier in the generations life cycle, but God Of War may have suceeded earlier in the life cycle too.

When people are looking at new hardware, they are more likely to think new content.

choclatechocobo

Mar 5, 2012
Makes sense, force people into new franchises at the start of a new generation, because they have the money to get the games out for release.

Also the wii-u? barely scrapes by current generation standards. Not surprised they are waiting for sony/microsoft.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Irridium said:
EA, when you say new IP's, do you mean titles that actually innovate
No, of course they don't.

My predictions:
- At least one of the new IP is going to be a new Bioware RPG franchise, no surprise there.
- Expect a 3rd person sci-fi bro-shooter. Possibly set in the mass effect universe.
- A new survival horror FPS that totally forgets the 'survival' half of the equation.
- A sandbox crime game
- A MOBA title.