Wing Commander Creator Returns

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wing Commander Creator Returns

Chris Roberts, the man who made Wing Commander and Freelancer, would like to create a world for you.

Chris Roberts made Lord of War [http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-Inc-Commander-Kilrathi/dp/B00069IH32/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1347299059&sr=8-14&keywords=Wing+Commander+2], but for almost an entire decade he washed his hands clean of videogames.

Until now.

"I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision," Roberts wrote in a semi-hidden message at the Roberts Space Industries website. "I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back."

I say "semi-hidden" because the site boasts a countdown overlaid by an access code prompt, with no indication as to what the access code is - until you start entering random guesses or clicking the "go" button, at which point some very helpful clues pop up and the gate, assuming you're any kind of credible nerd, swings open. Roberts doesn't reveal exactly what he has in mind but says he's been working on it for nearly a year, and that it "embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level."

Roberts' cloudimperiumgames.com [http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=134684269] is somewhat more legitimately password-protected and not nearly as forthcoming with the hints. But the links at the bottom of the Roberts Space Industries page lead to pages which have a poll asking whether gamers preferred cockpits or chase views in Freelancer; and below that are links to Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Tumblr pages on which a couple of very Freelancer-like images can be found.

[gallery=894]

It's worth noting that in spite of his complaints about the technological limitations of the 90s, Wing Commander was a lot more than just a hot space shooter. It was a sweeping, epic space opera, with engaging characters and a unique and fascinating enemy, that wove storytelling into the action with a masterful and groundbreaking touch. The possibility of Roberts building that experience around contemporary technology is very exciting indeed.

The full reveal of Roberts' new project is set to happen at 10 am EST on October 10 - that's 10-10-10, for those of you with a thing for numbers. In the meantime, you can find out what there is to know (and sign up to learn a whole lot more, but I'm not going to spoil that for you) at robertsspaceindustries.com [http://robertsspaceindustries.com/].

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I liked Wing Commander a lot back in the 90s.

I want a return to a good space fighter game.
Xwing vs Tie Fighter was so much fun

Horton986

Lord Canada
Mar 16, 2009
@Tiamat666 the correct answer is 42 :p
Though I loved Wing Commander I really hope is more like Freelancer. Freelancer was by far the best game that he made and one of the only ones I still play to this day

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
So want a Freelancer sequel, or just a game set in the same kind of setting but vastly improved (things like a moving economy and random battleship encounters which ppl modded in)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Horton986 said:
Though I loved Wing Commander I really hope is more like Freelancer. Freelancer was by far the best game that he made and one of the only ones I still play to this day
I preferred Strike Commander (epic times) and Privateer to WC. I played through Freelancer and found it meh. It was far too linear and trade or exploration were pointless.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
"then in 2003 he killed it with Freelancer"
does that imply that Freelancer was bad? cause I loved Freelancer.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008

>Read article
>creator of Wing Commander returns
>making space themed game
>mfw

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Whoo! I loved space-sim games a decade ago, though for me it was X-Wing Alliance (and Descent, kinda) instead of Freelancer, and I've been long lamenting the fading of the genre. I'd love to see a new one.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
As long as you don't get jumped by pirates whenever you use the trade lanes. Every. Single. Bloody. Time. Even when you were friendly with the pirate factions they would still disrupt the trade lane. Or they jump you when you have an endgame ship and they have beginner's area ships. Why are you even bothering?

The rest of Freelancer was damn good. Might go see if I can find my copy...

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
This is great news! I shall be watching for more!

Funny thing is I was just about to play WC 1-4 back to back with my copies from GoG's. :) That should help get me in the mood.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I played a little Wing Commander (Heart of the Tiger, Privateer), and I quite liked StarLancer but Freelancer straight up sucked. No stick support in a space flight game? Is there a stupider decision that could have been made?

Tell you what, make it a great dog-fighting game with or without FMV of Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, and John Ryhs-Davies but WITH STICK SUPPORT and I'll buy it. Otherwise FreeSpace 2, Evonochron, and X are still going strong.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Devoneaux said:
Horton986 said:
@Tiamat666 the correct answer is 42 :p
Ehh, wouldn't say greatest.

A lot of the ideas in Freelancer always seemed to me as ideas that started off grand and epic but had to be cut down either due to lack of know-how, budget problems or a fast approaching deadline. This is why we got things like the completely static economy that offered no real gameplay for trading, or planets that never varied on the Z axis and were NOT large enough to really feel like planets.
In fact, that is exactly what happened. Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil and forced Freelancer through way, way before it was ready. You are essentially playing a half-finished game. Static economy, full-sized transports/capships, the cartoonishly bizarre scale, and everything else in between, are all products of The Evils of Publishers.

It also happens to be my favorite game of all time ever, and I used to make ships/run the Outcast faction for the Discovery mod. If Chris Roberts makes a Freelancer sequel I will die of happiness.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this. I always wondered why he just disappeared from the scene like he did.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Zakarath said:
Whoo! I loved space-sim games a decade ago, though for me it was X-Wing Alliance (and Descent, kinda) instead of Freelancer, and I've been long lamenting the fading of the genre. I'd love to see a new one.
Boy. You, me, and heaven knows how many others.

I just don't understand why Lucasarts doesn't re-visit Tie-Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, etc.

It made money for them didn't it?

*Dreams of Biowares focus on story in the Tie Fighter/X-Wing Alliance settings*

*sigh*