Nintendo Outlines DLC for New Super Mario Bros. 2

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Nintendo Outlines DLC for New Super Mario Bros. 2

Three new content packs focus on challenge and coinage.

Nintendo has traditionally been cooler towards DLC than its Microsoft and Sony counterparts, but it's apparently time for the Big N to warm up. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is the company's latest release starring its mustachioed mascot, and while its reviews generally agree [http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/new-super-mario-bros-2] that it doesn't tread a lot of new ground, Nintendo believes that its fans want even more Mario. Three DLC packs will arrive in Japan on October 2, all of them aimed at Mario veterans who want a bit more challenge out of his recent 3DS adventure.

The first pack, "Gold Mario Go! Go!" focuses on the game's Coin Rush mode, and will feature three stages whose riches total 30,000 shiny bits of currency. "Challenge the Record" provides players with three timed levels that encourage players to go for a high score. Nintendo will post the best scores on its website, so leaderboard aficionados should take note. Finally, "Survival Panic" will include some of the most difficult levels that Nintendo has devised for New Super Mario Bros. 2. Each one will retail for approximately $2.50.

As there is no Western release date for these packs yet, it's anyone's guess as to whether they will make it across the Pacific. Nintendo has generally been good about releasing big-name titles in all regions, but DLC for its mainstay properties is still a fairly new concept. If Japanese Nintendo fans can get behind shelling out another $7.50 for Mario (and they probably can), the rest of the world should get its chance soon enough.

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/27/3421300/new-super-mario-bros-2-getting-three-downloadable-add-on-packs]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm not quite sure how to take this.

$2.50 is a bit much, but then again I don't know exactly how many levels there are per pack. Considering they seem to be for Coin Rush, it stands to reason that's 3 levels a pack. That's certain for one of them. If it is just 3 per pack for all three, that's doesn't seem fair, considering it's about 83 cents a level, but then there's the fact that just because it's about that much in changing yen to dollars doesn't mean it'll actually cost $2.50.

On a more positive note, I always prefer the idea of getting DLC in smaller chunks, just so I can choose what I want (Hard levels? Yes please!) and the ones I don't (Based around scoring and coins? Pass.) Plus, having played the game, I did feel I got a full game from it. It doesn't feel like levels were cut out just to get DLC ready, unlike some companies.

So overall: Not a shining example of what DLC should be, but it's far from the worst. Guess it's just a great big "meh". I'd like to know details about a western release (I know Nintendo has a tendency to not localize stuff, but this is DLC, not a game. There shouldn't be a reason it doesn't come stateside.), just a few more details about the content itself. But not bad.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.0

i though Nintendo was already doing DLC with those Pokemon giveaways /joke

anyway, be interesting to see how this gose

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Quick! Let's get one of the million Yahtzee wannabes on this site in here to ignorantly twist this into reason #342,534,569 why Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining gaming for everyone.

... Facetiousness aside, I'm still not a fan of paid DLC no matter who it comes from. And considering these are Coin Rush packs, which work on StreetPass (which relies on both players owning the content) it smacks of "missing the point" somewhat.

gamerguy20097

Jun 14, 2011
Ah a Nintendo article! How I look forward to everyone to bashing nintendo even though they are the least malicious of the big three. So what did E.A, I mean nintendo (like there is any difference to you) do this time? Put out another mario game that is generally fun even if it isn't ground breaking? Set your house on fire and replace your cereal with spiders?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I don't know what to make of this. When Nintendo fans said they wanted better online service I'm pretty sure this isn't what they meant.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
gamerguy20097 said:
Ah a Nintendo article! How I look forward to everyone to bashing nintendo even though they are the least malicious of the big three. So what did E.A, I mean nintendo (like there is any difference to you) do this time? Put out another mario game that is generally fun even if it isn't ground breaking? Set your house on fire and replace your cereal with spiders?

VinLAURiA said:
Quick! Let's get one of the million Yahtzee wannabes on this site in here to ignorantly twist this into reason #342,534,569 why Nintendo is totally going in the wrong direction and ruining gaming for everyone.

Sounds like you 2 are trying to pick fights in a passive aggressive manner.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
I do not see where there would be a big deal or even a fight. Nintendo clearly stated that they wanted to experiment with dlc for their games. DLC that would only be add-ons to a complete game, not expansions to the story or on disc dlc that should already be available. You'd think fans would be pleased, but the minute they see it costs a few dollars they start crying...and here Nintendo was trying to listen to what its fans wanted.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
I don't know about the other guy, but I were to try to pick a fight, I'd just cut to the chase and do something like call your screenname pretentious and your avatar generic. I'm just being a prick and calling "inb4" without actually invoking it by name because I don't want to cramp my incredible style with memes.

Like I said, I'm still not a fan of this decision but if there's one thing I believe it's that people on the internet (besides myself, of course) are 100% predicable 100% of the time. For example, in your next post you're going to dare me to try and back up that last statement even though we both know it's clearly hyperbolic and that I'm deliberately being insufferable to try and get a rise out of you, having already proven myself right by means of intentionally-vague, obfuscatory circular logic and inconsequential self-fulfilling prophecies [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic] (with a dash of big words thrown in for good measure) and that I'll eventually win the argument by irritating you to the point where you give up for the sake of your blood pressure.

Either that or you simply won't respond out of an attempt to prove that last paragraph wrong. Now someone bring me more poison, this well isn't going to fill itself.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
gamerguy20097 said:
Ah a Nintendo article! How I look forward to everyone to bashing nintendo even though they are the least malicious of the big three.
If we don't see much Yahtzee-mimicking, blind Nintendo bashing in this thread I may have hope that the community here has changed in a good way and may consider coming back here more than once in a blue moon. I may even begin posting more often again.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
DLC for a Mario Game?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg
How is it any different or worse than DLC for any other game? Give me 1 good reason and I swear I will eat my face off my very head.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
DLC for a Mario Game?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg
Why?
DLC's should work the best with games like Mario. Instead of selling you weapons and texture packs, they will sell you new maps and challenges. Actual gameplay.

here you can see some maps. The "hard" maps look like a lot of fun.

AzrealMaximillion said:
I don't know what ti make of this. When Nintendo fans said they wanted better online service I'm pretty sure this isn't what they meant.
I was actually hoping for Mario DLC's. They would give even more replay value to a game that has a lot of it. It takes nothing away from the game, but adds a lot to it if done right. DLC's aren't inherently bad.

llaffer

Apr 16, 2008
Why are people surprised that this exists. It was announced MONTHS ago that paid DLC would exist for this game, containing levels that are not part of the core game.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I see Nintendo is fully embracing the new era of gaming what with the DLCs and better online playing options. I mean, I would have never guessed good ol' Mario would require DLC and stuff but...hey, like I said, a new era.

Good for them?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:
They are just using projection to try and invalidate the opinions of others that they feel are shallow.

It is really childish.

The DLC for NSMB 2 is the least of its problems, personally, it feels like the games have lost any sort of direction or charisma.

They are the perfect bottled products of the perfect nostalgic reminders and emphasis on the least interesting aspects of Mario.

Basically Nintendo is producing games like Apple produces phones, perfectly acceptable but sadly so much less than they could be and that is where the disappointment comes from.

At least for me I get sad because Nintendo could be so much more, I've seen it.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Personally, I see this as nothing but a good thing. I can't count the amount of times I lamented at the lack of DLC for SSBB. I mean, I wanted more downloadable characters and maps, bundles and extra things to do to keep the game fresh and fun, but it never happened. Thanks to the better internet capabilities of the WiiU, I'm really hoping if we'll see Nintendo look into DLC and Online Multiplayer, and at the very least make sure it runs smoothly for other companies who want to (I'll gladly pay for extra unique missions in Monster Hunter for example), and some Multiplayer Zelda (with DLC custom costumes for such characters) would be a blast.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
VinLAURiA said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I don't know about the other guy, but I were to try to pick a fight, I'd just cut to the chase and do something like call your screenname pretentious and your avatar generic. I'm just being a prick and calling "inb4" without actually invoking it by name because I don't want to cramp my incredible style with memes.

Like I said, I'm still not a fan of this decision but if there's one thing I believe it's that people on the internet (besides myself, of course) are 100% predicable 100% of the time. For example, in your next post you're going to dare me to try and back up that last statement even though we both know it's clearly hyperbolic and that I'm deliberately being insufferable to try and get a rise out of you, having already proven myself right by means of intentionally-vague, obfuscatory circular logic and inconsequential self-fulfilling prophecies [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic] (with a dash of big words thrown in for good measure) and that I'll eventually win the argument by irritating you to the point where you give up for the sake of your blood pressure.

Either that or you simply won't respond out of an attempt to prove that last paragraph wrong. Now someone bring me more poison, this well isn't going to fill itself.
you do realize that attempting to justify your own point through giving two distinctly opposite potential outcomes basically means that you are doubling down on a reductdo-ad-absurdum which by all levels of logic (even the product of a delusional mind) is simply a contradiction as even if you are right you are wrong at the same time, so at best your only at the level of 50% which isn't that spectacular if this were football (either kind) you would be traded as soon as possible. also just because you clearly state that you are using a "standard" trope does not make you any less pretentious, or even less right, or wrong, and at the end of the discussion at least you could be slightly commended for thinking outside the box, but you know who else thinks outside the box cereal killers, and politicians.

good job.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
Except you proved his point by responding to a completely benign point with a paragraph long post about how you totally aren't trying to pick a fight, while calling him out in an argumentative manner.

But y'know. "Logic" what's that?