Developer Apologizes for Accidentally Threatening Kittens

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Developer Apologizes for Accidentally Threatening Kittens

A marketing stunt for a game on Greenlight has backfired terribly.

Edge of Space is a 2D, open-world sandbox game with a focus on resource collection, building and survival. It's been described as "Terraria with mechs." That sounds like a dead cert for Greenlight success to me. Unfortunately, the game's publisher, Reverb, may have shot itself in the foot with a stunt designed to net the title more votes.

The publisher offered to donate $5000 to the Humane Society to rescue homeless kittens if the game got approved on Greenlight by the 15th of October. While that may or may not be against Valve's terms of service, banking on the internet's love for all things feline is rarely a bad idea. What didn't sit well with gamers, however, was the way Reverb phrased the promotion.

"If the game doesn't get approval, that money will disappear, like a puff of smoke in the uncaring wind, leaving poor kitties to survive in the harsh elements, be placed in harm's way and possibly scheduled for euthanasia," read a message from the publisher. "The challenge is out there, and for a simple 'yes' vote on Steam's Greenlight consumers can actively take a role in saving the lives of kitties."

Despite the internet's fondness for dark humor, it was judged that Reverb had apparently crossed a line. Edge of Space's Greenlight page was flooded with negative comments, some expressing outrage that a company would "blackmail" users, others condemning the publisher for making jokes about animal cruelty. Some threatened to change their votes. The sad thing is, Reverb is only acting as the game's publisher. It's developer, Handyman, has nothing to do with the promotion.

Reverb has since apologized for the joke.

"This was meant in fun, if anything, Reverb's intent was to add a bonus; if we can make it to the top 10 by the 15th, we will help out a worthy cause," it told Eurogamer. "Understand that there is some dark humor in the game and they wanted to play off of that. We love cats! That's why we have them in our game to begin with!"

"Even before the promotion was approved Reverb had decided to make a donation of $5,000 to the Humane Society today, this was just a fun way of drumming up some attention for the game. The release was meant to grab attention and call readers to action, but we regret if we made anyone uncomfortable or angry with its content. Millions of stray cats enter shelters each year, with the yearly cost of humane shelters resting in the billions. Our wording may have been muddled, but our intentions are good."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-reverb-regrets-pr-stunt-that-threatened-to-leave-homeless-kittens-euthanised]

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
bah, all this political correctness lately is eating away at my stomach..

please people, when did we stop having any sort of backbone or sense of humor? in the slightest? i mean it's clear as day that it is some light humor and for a good cause.

If it was legitimately about the abuse of kittens or such, then yes, point taken clearly, but it is not at all.

plus, blackmail? Really? Was someone forcing you to do something against your will?

Hell no. cut that shit out.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
While I get that they didn't really mean any kind of harm in what they said and that they were playing off the dark humor in the game,...yeah...that kind of guilting always pisses me off in advertising.

Not surprised they pissed other people off too.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Mygaffer said:
Why is everyone such an easily defended puss these days?
That's what I was thinking, it's not like he was treating kittens anyway just the threat of taking something away that they never had to begin with and it was a joke and he donated it anyway.

People need to stop getting offended by every little thing, seriously how do these people manage to even walk outside.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Forehead. Table. "Why hello dear friend, yes it has been nary 6 hours since we were last united." "That's right my dear, someone on the internet tried to mount the zeitgeist and the zeitgeist spun around and ripped them a new one."

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
disgruntledgamer said:
Mygaffer said:
Why is everyone such an easily defended puss these days?
That's what I was thinking, it's not like he was treating kittens anyway just the threat of taking something away that they never had to begin with and it was a joke and he donated it anyway.

People need to stop getting offended by every little thing, seriously how do these people manage to even walk outside.
This. People honestly just need to get a slap in the face and shut the fuck up. So tired of people going crazy over what is a joke. I don't care what the joke is, just shut up.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
Stupid cats always getting what they want....
Yes we do.

What is with the lack of good PR departments in this industry? For real.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Another successful example of Troll Marketing. Threaten to kill kittens, word it so that it'll piss people off, then say "Oh, we didn't mean that" and pretend you're sorry. Perfect way to generate hype.

Downvoted for egregious and vile marketing ploys.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
uncanny474 said:
Another successful example of Troll Marketing. Threaten to kill kittens, word it so that it'll piss people off, then say "Oh, we didn't mean that" and pretend you're sorry. Perfect way to generate hype.

Downvoted for egregious and vile marketing ploys.
I'm sorry but did you actually read what they said?
Saying you won't donate cash to a cause if your goal isn't met isn't threatening to kill kittens. Not helping someone doesn't make you responsible for their misfortune. It's a poor expression/dark humor, but in no way is it a threat that they are going to go out and kill kittens.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Rednog said:
Saying you won't donate cash to a cause if your goal isn't met isn't threatening to kill kittens. Not helping someone doesn't make you responsible for their misfortune. It's a poor expression/dark humor, but in no way is it a threat that they are going to go out and kill kittens.
My point is not what they said. My point is that they said it to be deliberately inflammatory with the intention of feigning ignorance later, in order to get news stories like this one written, which in turn generates (free) publicity for the game.

jon_sf

Nov 12, 2010
"Jeez, people shouldn't be offended by stuff on the internet, and post negative comments to websites about it. I'm going to go post a negative comment on some website about how I think people are whiny."

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
I think that that joke did cross the line, but it wasn't intended to. No harm no foul. And didn't they donate the money anyway? In a way, these complaints helped kitties.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Weird but I guess the steam community has different joke standards than the rest of the internet.

Side note: If this game has a publisher, why the hell is it on Green Light? That kind of undermines the point, doesn't it?
Being Greenlight is diferent then being Kickstarted, there is no money involved, its just a way to make your game available on Steam.

OT: I guess I now must be offended by that guy from the Serious Sam developers

uncanny474 said:
Rednog said:
My point is not what they said. My point is that they said it to be deliberately inflammatory with the intention of feigning ignorance later, in order to get news stories like this one written, which in turn generates (free) publicity for the game.
Its a fucking joke about going over the top with dark humor, there is nothing wrong with that and it has nothing to do with being "deliberately inflammatory with the intention of feigning ignorance later, in order to get news stories like this one written, which in turn generates (free) publicity for the game".

Go watch some Ricky Gervais stand up or something and see why dark humor is funny

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Sadly, I bet this rage would not have been encountered if it was to, say, a soup kitchen or Red Cross the money was going to. Kittens dying = horrible, people dying = whatever. The internet is full of great people.