Canadian University Bans Nintendo Zapper Image

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Canadian University Bans Nintendo Zapper Image

Saint Mary's University has deemed that Nintendo's Power Glove is far less offensive than its Zapper.

It's no joke running a student society, but the recently formed Saint Mary's University (Halifax) Gaming Society found itself in unanticipated hot water when its poster ran afoul of University guidelines. The Nintendo Zapper, plastic firearm of the 1980s, was the culprit; the concern was that the toy pistol's image, used by the society in advertising for a social event, could damage the reputation of the University.

The Zapper was swiftly replaced with a Power Glove, and peace was restored to the campus. "Any society on campus that ratifies agrees to follow certain SMUSA policies regarding conduct," the student newspaper notes, adding that "societies not following policy can be disciplined in a number of ways, including the loss of status with the student association."

Saint Mary's (Halifax) is a Roman Catholic founded University; What You Do, Do Well, is its motto. Presumably shooting fake ducks with a plastic light gun from the 1980s is something Saint Mary's would prefer its students didn't do well. Though to be fair to Saint Mary's, without the Zapper's cord in the picture someone who didn't know much about gaming - or firearms, for that matter - could come to the wrong conclusion.

Source: The Journal [http://www.smujournal.ca/2012/10/gun-image-not-welcome-on-campus-poster/#!prettyPhoto]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If this university's a private school I can sort of understand. I mean it's stupid, but there isn't much the students would be able to do about it. The Power Glove's way more offensive than the Lite Gun in any case. At least the Lite Gun fucking worked.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
I can't get worked up enough to manage much more than a facepalm. It's an iconic image, why shouldn't it be allowed?

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
My brain doesn't even work anymore when I read any of these completely preposterous issues of political correctness. This and the MW2 muslim thing (and of course, burning embassies because of that one shitty movie amateur video).

I just go: Oh for fuck's sake...
Aye.

I go the same way when I hear about American Politics and Mitt Romney wondering why airplane's windows "don't open in this day and age."; except I might go "What. The. Fuck!" more than "Oh for fuck's sake."

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Psh, what the dicks? The zapper worked and is iconic whereas the power glove is offensive for not just being a throw-away peripheral, but it was also so bad.

Also, we already have alcohol and a phallic joystick so what's a little sci-fi blaster going to do?

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
So this was done so that if a person had been living in a cave from the 1980s, no knowledge of guns at all and was also stupid enough to freak out, then it could be a problem? Everyone on that college should walk out the door because the people leading it are morons.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah, because plastic toy guns are the worst possible thing a Catholic school could ever be associated with -_-
Fappy said:
If this university's a private school I can sort of understand. I mean it's stupid, but there isn't much the students would be able to do about it. The Power Glove's way more offensive than the Lite Gun in any case. At least the Lite Gun fucking worked.
That glove! It's so bad!
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19484/757929-wizard1989_super.jpg
That movie made the power glove what it is today XD

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It is nice to see it being handled in a fairly level headed manner. I'm sure there are places in the world (probably here in the UK, knowing the UK) where such a thing would be met with full scale panic and/or disciplinary measures.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
People here seem to be living in a vacuum. The zapper is iconic only in video gaming culture or even some of pop culture. Most parents and especially school officials would be hard-pressed to identify it firstly as a video-game accessory and not a toy gun.

The school asked them to change it and they changed it. Everyone was happy.

The school did not overreact.
As is usually the case, people on the internet are overreacting.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Oh, well this is interesting. Apparently the image they wanted to use was made by someone else for other reasons. So I guess this makes everyone involved an asshole.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/951947596/the-8-bit-bar-st-louiss-geek-bar?ref=live

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Because looking at a gun, real or plastic, or even an IMAGE - no, even THINKING about guns, has the power to turn a completely normal, law-abiding citizen into a dangerous domestic terrorist!

That is seriously the reasoning. Looking at the image of a gun will get people thinking about guns, and before you know it, this one glance at an image will cause one kid to steal his dad's ruger and shoot up his school. Because nothing else would ever set off someone that unstable.

Sure, private school, they can do whatever they want, yadda yadda. I don't care about the legal implications, the plain reality of it is absolutely absurd.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Except it's Canada; we don't get many school shootings around here. And that university was in Halifax, of all places (it's one of those places where the "Canadians are nice/polite" thing might come from).
Ha Edited to hide my ignorance!

Duly noted, sorry about that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Karloff said:
Though to be fair to Saint Mary's, without the Zapper's cord in the picture someone who didn't know much about gaming - or firearms, for that matter - could come to the wrong conclusion.
...and was drunk and had been hit in the head a few times...

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I look at this the same way one might look at the lawncare rules of a gated community. I just shake my head and walk away.