Dark Knight Rises Cinematographer Bashes The Avengers

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dark Knight Rises Cinematographer Bashes The Avengers

Cinematographer Smash!

Do you remember when The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers were still lurking on the blockbuster horizon, and the constant bickering between the films' acolytes became so unbearably obnoxious that you began to hate both films and, indeed, the very concept of cinema itself? You do? Great, because chances are it's all going to kick-off yet again thanks to some harsh criticism of The Avengers courtesy of The Dark Knight Rises cinematographer, Wally Pfister.

"What's really important is storytelling. None of it matters if it doesn't support the story," he said when describing the art of cinematography in an interview with the Sarasota Herald Tribune. "I thought The Avengers was an appalling film. They'd shoot from some odd angle and I'd think, why is the camera there? Oh, I see, because they spent half a million on the set and they have to show it off. It took me completely out of the movie. I was driven bonkers by that illogical form of storytelling."

Now it seems to me that Pfister's comment is limited to the film's cinematography, but it's difficult to tell now that the Sarasota Herald has cut the quote from its interview. While we journos love the delicious taste of industry drama, ragging on another movie, particularly a rival movie, is considered unprofessional by many. The quote may have been dropped for PR reasons, but now it's just floating around the internet, devoid of context.

In Pfister's defense, he does know what he's talking about when it comes to cinematography. Known for his work on Christopher Nolan's films, Pfister has been nominated for four Academy awards and won one for his work on Inception. He's currently working on his directorial debut, an unnamed, present-day sci-fi flick, with Nolan acting as executive producer.

Source: Sarasota Herald Tribune [http://arts.heraldtribune.com/2012-10-16/section/home/q-a-with-oscar-winning-cinematographer-wally-pfister/]

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Rough translation: "We didn't like how The Avengers beat us at the box office, but it obviously wasn't OUR faults, such as dragging on far longer than it needed to, or having the villain be as uninspiring as possible, or our plot twist being pointless for comic fans and devoid of originality for non comic fans."

Plus, after the confusing at best angles Inception had, I don't think he has room to talk.
Going with this guy, this looks like a half-arsed excuse made up to try and maintain investor confidence than an actual critique of another's work.

Then again, without context, it's really hard to pass judgement either way, I think I'll file this under "Don't really care, may revisit if it actually becomes a thing."

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Look I'm sorry if any of you have that name, and I know it is a perfectly normal name and probably has a long and distinguished history and everything but...I really like how his name sounds like he is a professionally derider...pffft you Pfister you...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, but in terms of style both movies are going for a totally different tone. So it seems a bit weird for this guy to start critisizing another movie on this point.

I'll admit that The Avengers wasn't shot in any real imaginative way, but it's meant to be a straight up lighthearted action flick for the whole family, not a dark and moody slow burn.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
The Avengers was great, and The Dark Knight Rises was great. Go see them both or get the Bluray/DVD.
There, problem solved. Nothing to see here people! Show's over!

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Small question, did anyone here feel they couldn't bring themselves to enjoy The Avengers because of poor camera angles?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So is he going to get troll on just like that woman who think the film wasn't good before the film was release?

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
octafish said:
Look I'm sorry if any of you have that name, and I know it is a perfectly normal name and probably has a long and distinguished history and everything but...I really like how his name sounds like he is a professionally derider...pffft you Pfister you...
Actually a lot of people will use a silent P on that, meaning they would pronounce his name "Fister," I see only bright futures for a child with -that- last name.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I didn't notice odd camera angles in The Avengers... I was too busy wishing I hadn't chosen to watch in in 3D because the 3D effects were so shit.

Mind you, I remember thinking during The Dark Knight Rises, "Hmm, for a Batman film, a hell of a lot of this is being shot in broad daylight. Why?

Oh, that's right, because they were so scared The Avengers was going to squash them they had to make everything BIGGER AND BETTER than The Dark Knight, for the purposes of showing off, rather than actually serving the story.

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
I still thought The Avengers was good, but I agree with Pfister. To me it felt like really, really, really high budget tv.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the story of The Avengers. I can't really go into detail about it right now due to it being very late at night but the two things that bugged me were that, firstly, the plot felt like it just went in a circle and, secondly, the final battle just bored me. It wasn't dramatic or exciting to me in the slightest. This is because the bad guy mooks, who I knew absolutely nothing about, were not there as entities with personalities but rather as punching bags to show off the special effects.

Loki, however, averts this. My favourite scene in the movie, bar none, is when Hulk picks him up and throws him about like a rag doll when he's in the middle of talking about him being a god and the Hulk should obey him. I love it so much. :D

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Rough translation: "We didn't like how The Avengers beat us at the box office, but it obviously wasn't OUR faults, such as dragging on far longer than it needed to, or having the villain be as uninspiring as possible, or our plot twist being pointless for comic fans and devoid of originality for non comic fans."

Plus, after the confusing at best angles Inception had, I don't think he has room to talk.
Yeah, a slightly more accurate translation would be, "How the fuck does that incompetent hack, Whedon, keep getting work?" To be fair, a lot of people have been asking that question for over a decade.