BioShock Infinite Hands-On Preview

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
BioShock Infinite Hands-On Preview

BioShock Infinite has big shoes to fill, but developer Irrational is embracing the challenge.

Read Full Article

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Hmm...Good to hear that the game is promising. Although, I would have waited for it even without "Bioshock" in its title.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
The money. All of the money. Take it, Irrational games.

Seriously, this is like music to my ears. My body is ready.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*ahem*

Sweeeeet.

Those words I just read? Yeah, I liked them.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm going to assume today's the day every gaming site is allowed to talk about Infinite then? =P Basically every site seems to be posting something about it today

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Sounds nice so far. Really curious about the friendlier NPCs that never existed in the original Bioshock. And Booker, whether or not his characterization will come through even though it's a game entirely in first person. He's got such a cool design, too. Did you get any impression about how different the enemies are? Bioshock only had a really small number, so I'm afraid the ones in the trailers are the only ones that exist.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I wasn't too keen on using active powers in the original Bioshock, so I hope the gunplay is just as good as ever. As for the NPCs, it sounds like Irrational's doing it right. Once I'm done playing AC3, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, and Spec Ops: the Line, I will definitely think about picking up this game. As you can see, though, I've fallen a bit behind in video games recently.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Though the threat of water always seemed like it was only a bulkhead or a window away in Bioshock, I quickly came to recognize that it would only ever be an actual threat in scripted sequences. Presumably, with the drops in Infinite, that won't be the case... And I'll be curious to see how the game handles that (hopefully it's something better than frequent quick-loads for the clumsy and unlucky).

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
I'm going to assume today's the day every gaming site is allowed to talk about Infinite then? =P Basically every site seems to be posting something about it today
http://irrationalgames.com/insider/the-world-is-about-to-change-for-bioshock-infinite-fans/

Irrational made a statement about it, actually. Also, the release date got pushed back. again.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
uncanny474 said:
Andy Shandy said:
http://irrationalgames.com/insider/the-world-is-about-to-change-for-bioshock-infinite-fans/

Irrational made a statement about it, actually. Also, the release date got pushed back. again.
Ah, fair enough then.

Also

Are Infinite.

[HEADING=1] YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!![/HEADING]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well my ultimate pre-order edition seems justified. Plus the bonus handyman damage should serve me well. Come on Infinte, I'm ready!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Is it actually possible to fall to your death, or does the game stop you wandering off edges with invisible walls? Also, if you can fall off, how far do you fall before the screen goes to black and the game reloads?

I need to actually be able to fall off things to be afraid of heights. The high spots in Minecraft, or Mirror's Edge scare the hell out of me, especially with Mirror's Edge's really unpleasant fall effects. If the screen just fades to black, a second after slipping off, it's boring. If I can't slip off at all, there is no peril.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
maninahat said:
Is it actually possible to fall to your death, or does the game stop you wandering off edges with invisible walls? Also, if you can fall off, how far do you fall before the screen goes to black and the game reloads?

I need to actually be able to fall off things to be afraid of heights. The high spots in Minecraft, or Mirror's Edge scare the hell out of me, especially with Mirror's Edge's really unpleasant fall effects. If the screen just fades to black, a second after slipping off, it's boring. If I can't slip off at all, there is no peril.
There's a give and take in the falling off thing though you have to consider, while it would add a much greater element of peril to the game it could also be infuriating to accidentally backpedal off the edge. Perhaps some kind of compromise between the two would be ideal. Like if combat mostly happened in doors. Or places with fences.

Wait.

Why would you build a floating city and NOT have some kind of safety railing in place? And mandatory fucking parachutes.
Edit: Want game now! Building a new PC mostly so I can play it on an up-to-date format >_O

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
SkarKrow said:
maninahat said:

There's a give and take in the falling off thing though you have to consider, while it would add a much greater element of peril to the game it could also be infuriating to accidentally backpedal off the edge. Perhaps some kind of compromise between the two would be ideal. Like if combat mostly happened in doors. Or places with fences.
It depends. I was always falling off of edges in Bastion, and I found it annoying instead of perilous. I think falling becomes frustrating when it happens far too easily or often. It just becomes a repetitive habit rather than an occasional risk.

You can get around it by setting combat in large areas, where one is less likely to fall off something whilst strafing/back pedalling. Also, you can put in a mechanic in which your character "sticks" to the edge for a moment, either with a stumble animation or invisible computer trickery - that way, a player can bring themselves back from the brink, and feel a lovely wash of relief. They had such a trick in Arkham Asylum, ensuring Batman would subtly gravitate towards the right landing spot (but still be able to screw it up, via carelessness).

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Wait.

Why would you build a floating city and NOT have some kind of safety railing in place? And mandatory fucking parachutes.
Yeah, Life Guard Paracutes that you can throw after the people who fell down...
Here... CATCH!

LMFAO!!!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
maninahat said:
SkarKrow said:
maninahat said:

It depends. I was always falling off of edges in Bastion, and I found it annoying instead of perilous. I think falling becomes frustrating when it happens far too easily or often. It just becomes a repetitive habit rather than an occasional risk.

You can get around it by setting combat in large areas, where one is less likely to fall off something whilst strafing/back pedalling. Also, you can put in a mechanic in which your character "sticks" to the edge for a moment, either with a stumble animation or invisible computer trickery - that way, a player can bring themselves back from the brink, and feel a lovely wash of relief. They had such a trick in Arkham Asylum, ensuring Batman would subtly gravitate towards the right landing spot (but still be able to screw it up, via carelessness).
Indeed, the biggest issue is really the first person perspective makes it A LOT easier to misjudge a backstep or sidestep and fall to your doom. Perhaps some kind of QTE would actually be acceptable in this situation, though if it was used too often it could become very tiring.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
BloodRed Pixel said:
SkarKrow said:
Wait.

Here... CATCH!

LMFAO!!!
I more meant people should just have to wear one at all times. I'd throw them a bungee rope.

Bungeeing would be awesome in that world.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
BloodRed Pixel said:
SkarKrow said:
Wait.

Here... CATCH!

LMFAO!!!
They should have those just for the inevitable pacifist challenge run. Main character running around with a backpack full of safety parachutes for all the poor guys he throws off the edge, remembering to put one on them as he does so.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I just hope that this game doesn't give the enemies so much health that the most basic, unarmored enemies can absorb more small arms fire than most armored vehicles. It would also be nice if modifications had some more versatility to them, so I could use them in more than the most specific circumstances.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Some guy I met said that he's not quite excited about the game because "the physics look off. I mean, all those railways."

I'm pretty sure the last thought of someone managing to jump and catch one of those railways just in time is: "Man, that just doesn't feel realistic enough."

But we'll soon find out. Falling tens of thousands of feet to my death or having my arm ripped off by sheer force wouldn't make for compelling gameplay. Or narrative structure.

Or could it...?