THQ Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

The beleaguered publisher has entered into an asset purchase agreement with Clearlake Capital Group.

After a long and ugly struggle against insolvency, THQ announced today that it has entered into an agreement with a "stalking horse bidder," Clearlake Capital Group, to acquire all of its assets, including the four studios it owns and the games it currently has in development. The publisher has voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as part of the effort to "shed certain legacy obligations and emerge with the strong financial backing of a new owner."

"The sale and filing are necessary next steps to complete THQ's transformation and position the company for the future, as we remain confident in our existing pipeline of games, the strength of our studios and THQ's deep bench of talent," THQ Chairman and CEO Brian Farrell said in a statement. "We are grateful to our outstanding team of employees, partners and suppliers who have worked with us through this transition."

As a "stalking horse bidder," Clearlake is offering approximately $60 million for THQ's assets, which includes $10 million to cover the company's creditors, but other interested parties may come forward with competing offers during the sale process. The Section 363 sales process, as explained by Financier Worldwide [http://www.financierworldwide.com/article.php?id=5041], allows THQ to establish a minimum bid that other bidders will have to beat. "In exchange for coming forward and negotiating the initial APA with the seller/debtor, the bankruptcy court often grants the stalking horse certain bidding protections, such as expense reimbursement, and break-up fees in the event its bid is exceeded," the site says.

The good news is that THQ will continue to operate, its studios will remain open and all current game development will continue. "Consumers and retailers should see no changes while the company completes a sale," THQ said in a statement. "The new financing will support business operations throughout the period. THQ does not intend to reduce its workforce as a result of the filing, and employees will continue to work their usual schedules and receive normal compensation and benefits, pending customary Court approval."

THQ expects the sale to be completed in roughly 30 days.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I wonder how helpful the humble bundle was for THQ. Can't have been that much if this occurred just a week later.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
At least the worst case scenario didn't happen. Good to know I can still look forward to Stick of Truth.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Lucky Godzilla said:
I think we all saw this coming.
Still doesn't make it any less terrible.
I feel bad for the employees who are innocent and will get laid off. I don't feel sorry for the executives who thought starting the trend of online passes was a good idea. I honestly feel vindicated about that little injustice.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
THQ have got me to actually like them, I can hardly believe it, but I'm enjoying Saints Row 3, I hope everything works out

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
I wonder how helpful the humble bundle was for THQ. Can't have been that much if this occurred just a week later.
The bundle earned 5 million in total. Obviously, a significant chunk of that went to charity, so I'd guess they pulled somewhere between 1 and 3 million.

Which is nice, but clearly not enough to keep them afloat.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
bah why couldn't this happen after stick of truth was released? Then the retailers would put deep discounts on it and I could get it for a song.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I'm sure most of us pretty much expected this to happen.

At least it isn't the worst case scenario, and they can continue for the moment. I quite like THQ, and some of their series.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I feel bad for Volition. But they'll be snapped up like a hot proverbial. the guys who made Space Marine and Darksiders? Yeahhhh, not feeling even remotely sorry.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
ResonanceSD said:
I feel bad for Volition. But they'll be snapped up like a hot proverbial. the guys who made Space Marine and Darksiders? Yeahhhh, not feeling even remotely sorry.
OK, I don't know about Darksiders, I have not played it yet since I bought it in the bundle. Space Marine, while bland, was not really that bad of a game.
Personally Relic Entertainment's list of incredible RTS games more then makes up for the Space Marine misstep. The Homeworld, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes series have all been excellent.

Well Chapter 11 was probably the best THQ could hope for, hopefully their restructuring goes well. They've made mistakes in the past, but I'll back them before Activision and EA any day.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
CrossLOPER said:
ResonanceSD said:
OK. Be honest. Did THQ run over your dog? Did they beat you up and take your lunch money?
As soon as I can get my money back for their shittier games, I'll be much happier.

And you picked the one post where I was talking about their situation, rather than their crap games to complain about my stance towards THQ? Really?

Apr 28, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:
ResonanceSD said:
The bundle earned 5 million in total. Obviously, a significant chunk of that went to charity, so I'd guess they pulled somewhere between 1 and 3 million.

Which is nice, but clearly not enough to keep them afloat.
$5 million wouldn't have been enough either.

With the budgets for their games (I'm willing to bet $20-$50 each, since that's more or less the standard these days), and other operating expenses, $5 million is a pretty paltry amount of money. To say nothing of the amount they actually earned from the bundle.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Nevermind the guys who made Space Marine also made the Dawn of War series, and that was their first foray into TPS territory.

THEY DESERVE TO BURN.
Oh wait. They also gave us CoH and Dawn of War.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Stalking horse?

Yeah, that seems about right...<.<

But sersiously... I hope THQ comes out of this okay... or rather, I hope they last long enough for Metro Last Light to be released... than they can go as far under as they want...<.<

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
GamerMage said:
ASan83 said:
At least the worst case scenario didn't happen. Good to know I can still look forward to Stick of Truth.
We can,huh? Well,that's a relief. Started to panic there for a minute.
That's a relief. I hope they get a good company buying them, I've liked most of their big titles.

Frostbite3789 said:
ResonanceSD said:
Nevermind the guys who made Space Marine also made the Dawn of War series, and that was their first foray into TPS territory.

THEY DESERVE TO BURN.
Oh wait. They also gave us CoH and Dawn of War.
Yeah, this person seems to have an axe to grind for some reason. I found Space Marine okay, especially for their first go at a game like that, I've played Dawn of War since Day one and just got into Company of Heroes thanks to their bundle and have been enjoying it.

Also, Darksiders isn't that bad, have yet to play the sequel. People ramble about how it's a Zelda/God of War rip off like it's the only game to ever use similar mechanics. After all, no other game then Zelda can have a form of hook shot multi target weapon like its boomerang, because they belong to that series /sarcasm. It was a new IP and had some cool ideas, I hope it sticks around.

As for Space Marine, room for improvement yes, but it was good enough to deserve a sequel that they can make better in my opinion.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
CrossLOPER said:
ResonanceSD said:
OK. Be honest. Did THQ run over your dog? Did they beat you up and take your lunch money?
As soon as I can get my money back for their shittier games, I'll be much happier.

And you picked the one post where I was talking about their situation, rather than their crap games to complain about my stance towards THQ? Really?
So you're mad at them because you're a bad consumer?