Pentagon Bringing Back the Blimp

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Pentagon Bringing Back the Blimp

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's ... an experimental military stealth blimp!

Airships don't exactly have the best history. Most often than not, whenever someone mentions blimps, we either think of a giant Goodyear airship floating around outside a sports stadium or the horrific Hindenburg disaster from way back in the late 1930s. And while airplanes are more or less the go-to way to travel around the world, a new Pentagon-backed project looks to bring airships back into style.

Meet the Pelican, a 230 foot long prototype airship developed by Aeroscraft [http://www.aeroscraft.com/#/aeroscraft/4567337667], and the first of what may be a new fleet of blimps designed to transport several tons of cargo across long distances using far less fuel than your typical airplane. Using a system that pumps helium from "lifting-gas cells" to pressurized tanks, the Pelican is capable of flying vertically and controlling its own buoyancy much easier than other types of airships, which usually require runways to get airborne and require extra ballast to stay grounded.

The Pelican is still in the testing phase, and hasn't seen much travel outside of its California-based hangar. Provided future tests go well, Aeroscraft is hoping to build a much larger, 450 foot long airship capable of hauling over 60 tons of cargo. Along with ferrying supplies around, the Pentagon is already thinking of how it could be used for surveillance missions, albeit one has to wonder how inconspicuous a giant floating balloon might look overhead in a warzone.

Source: AviationWeek [http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:119fbb0b-5c10-4b47-86d9-848a10cc6032]

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
You know, this looks kinda like Thunderbird 2... Maybe that means the US are gonna stick a tiny submarine in the middle of it then?

Anyway, this is cool, I guess? They should definitely try and bring back the blimp though. We're one more step closer to steampunk style worlds where every gentleman has their own personal airship!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
If that doesn't call for dozens of UFO sightings I don't know what will. It's even green and shiny.

And stealth always makes things better, not for nothing is Gilette now selling modern cloaking and energy production devices with <url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillette-Fusion-Stealth-Power-Razor/dp/B00159JVL4>built-in razor.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
If there's been one thing that I've consistently wondered about and cautiously wished for it's a second age of airships.

I'm hoping this really takes off. Pun unintentional but wonderfully relevant.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I originally thought the headline was "Bringing Back The Bling"

I am now overwhelmingly disappointed.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm not sure a flying watermelon is that much more stealthy.
It's also a lot more dangerous. Just look what happened the last time they tried to launch a watermelon!

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
And then the conspiracy theorists run out of nowhere claiming they have proof its using ET tech.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
The idea is to park the blimp at an altitude most planes (and by extent SAM's) can't reach. Not exactly stealthy, but than again there is not much the other side can do about it.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
doggie015 said:
An airship that pumps helium into compressed tanks to control it's altitude... Not a bad idea until one of the tanks bursts...
They've been storing compressed helium in tanks for decades in the space program. I'm pretty sure the storage technology is proven.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
doggie015 said:
An airship that pumps helium into compressed tanks to control it's altitude... Not a bad idea until one of the tanks bursts...
Why would this be a problem?

Helium is inert.. It doesn't burn.. the worst thing to happen would be some potentially hilarious mayday messages sent by chipmonks.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
doggie015 said:
ascorbius said:
doggie015 said:
Why would this be a problem?

Helium is inert.. It doesn't burn.. the worst thing to happen would be some potentially hilarious mayday messages sent by chipmonks.
If this airship operates at anywhere near the altitudes of modern day airliners then it's a long way down...
True, 35,000 feet is very very high and very very cold and the air is thin and there isn't as much pressure.
However it only goes to 12000 feet according to their site. Still, if such a disaster were to happen I do feel that 2 things would happen.

First of all, there would likely be multiple tanks so they'd be able to vent the escaping helium in time so they'd go down instead of up in order to get the blimp on the ground at a safe speed.. it's also hardly very aero dynamic, it's quite light and has a semi rigid structure so while level so it wouldn't have much of a falling speed anyway due to drag as long as they could keep it level. It wouldn't pop like a balloon and go flying off like in cartoons.

and Secondly, the chip monk effect could last for longer so even if the everyone on board was doomed, they'd have a laugh about it.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
EscapeGoat said:
You know, this looks kinda like Thunderbird 2... Maybe that means the US are gonna stick a tiny submarine in the middle of it then?

Anyway, this is cool, I guess? They should definitely try and bring back the blimp though. We're one more step closer to steampunk style worlds where every gentleman has their own personal airship!
Dammit, that was exactly the humourous comparison I was planning on making:

Weren't blimps phased out because they were too slow, although that information comes from the zeppelin episode of Archer, so I don't know how reliable it is:

Oh, also I thought we don't need stealth spyplanes anymore, thanks to satellites we can film and photograph people anywhere in the world at any time without any risk of being shot out of the sky, that's why the SR-71 Blackbird retired.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
That was immediately what came to mind when I saw it.
Get out of my head, you stealing thought-stealer!

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
This is relevant to my interests. (I work in logistics/freight)

I'd be fascinated as well to see what we could do with tall ships. Take modern engineering and materials, and apply the shipping techniques of pre-steam vessels. It'd be slower, but you'd have practically zero emissions (presuming we use solar power and small wind turbines). It'd increase the cost of international freight, as you'd require more crew, but that may well be a good thing.

The ease of transport internationally makes manufacturing and construction overseas cheaper and faster than producing locally. This is exactly the sort of shit that would put the ball back in the West's court. Our physical worlds would become smaller again (international travel would again become the realm of the rich and powerful), but it'd be fantastic for local economies.

And I also just imagined an airship shipping dozens of cows through the sky ... rollin' rollin' rollin', keep those airships rollin', rawhide!