Konami Confirms "No Chance" of Wii U Castlevania Sequel

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Konami Confirms "No Chance" of Wii U Castlevania Sequel

Lords of Shadow 2 will only release for PC, PS3, and 360.

If you've got to deliver bad news, sometimes the best way is to do is as quickly as possible, like tearing off a Band-Aid. When one hopeful fan contacted Konami to ask if Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 would make its way to the Wii U, the response he got was both terse and definitive: "no chance." Whatever other features the vampire-hunting sequel may boast, playing on Nintendo's unusual new console is not one of them.

Daniel Wayne, a web designer, contacted Konami via Twitter a few days ago about the matter. "Will the Wii U get some LOS 2 love?" he inquired, adding a #pleasesayyes hashtag for his desired response.

Dave Cox, the producer for the Lords of Shadow series, replied with a simple, "Sorry to disappoint you but no chance." Cox did not provide any further explanation, and further responses on Twitter have been fairly quiet. One commenter did call this action "unreasonable," but there's been little else in the way of either backlash or agreement.

Considering that Castlevania: Mirror of Fate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120979-Konami-Reveals-Castlevania-Mirror-of-Fate-Backstory] is still on track for a 3DS-exclusive release, Nintendo fans probably needn't worry that Konami is abandoning the franchise's roots. That said, if any Wii U owners want to experience Lords of Shadow 2 later this year, they should start saving up for an Xbox 360, PS3, or decent PC. These days, they're not too expensive.

Source: Eurogamer [https://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/288187288113008641]

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Nintendo makes weird ass system and fans get self righteous when developers decide to not port their games to a system that doesn't fit with their design. This should not surprise anyone.

People have to go out of their way to develop for Nintendo and its gimmicks, so it shouldn't shock anyone that conventional games aren't getting ported over. If anything it should surprise us that developers bother to try to apply conventional game design principles to an oddball system. Folks need to wise up already. Games do better when designed from the ground up for a particular platform.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Truthfully, I don't really care, XD. I wasn't jumping for the first one either, and there are many other games I'd rather get ported to Wii U first (Mass Effect trilogy, Fall of Cybertron).

Though, the Wii U would make another platform to sell it on, and they wouldn't really need to do much, just maybe a few ease-of-access touch menus like Assassin's Creed 3, usually I'm playing my games on the Gamepad anyways.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Kind of funny considering Castlevania was originally made popular by Nintendo.

I didn't find the first Lords of Shadow that great honestly. I was hoping for something like Symphony of The Night... but what we got was yet another God of War clone.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I expect them to do something Castlevania related for the WiiU by next year. Just because it's not Lords of Shadow 2 doesn't mean Castlevania won't be coming to the WiiU. Expect some sort of spin-off series for the WiiU by 2014.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Chaos James said:
Truthfully, I don't really care, XD. I wasn't jumping for the first one either, and there are many other games I'd rather get ported to Wii U first (Mass Effect trilogy, Fall of Cybertron).

Though, the Wii U would make another platform to sell it on, and they wouldn't really need to do much, just maybe a few ease-of-access touch menus like Assassin's Creed 3, usually I'm playing my games on the Gamepad anyways.
I was going to get AC3 for the WiiU but I want to play the online most and I kept hearing from many sites that the community is VERY small.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
GAunderrated said:
Chaos James said:

I was going to get AC3 for the WiiU but I want to play the online most and I kept hearing from many sites that the community is VERY small.
I haven't really dove into the multiplayer, but that seems to be the case, but the same issue seems to haunt the PC release as well (though I'm sure PC has a slightly bigger community). I'm guessing best bet would be to grab it on Xbawk or PS3, though I picked Wii U because I mainly wanted to the story AND I absolutely LOVE playing on the Gamepad while relaxing away from a TV.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Allow me to take a moment to care deeply about what platforms the next 3D Castlevania game will or will not be released on.
Okay, moment of caring is over. Back to not giving a shit about Konami's craptastic console Castlevania games. It's pretty bad when Castlevania 64 is the best they can manage.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Chaos James said:
GAunderrated said:
Chaos James said:

I haven't really dove into the multiplayer, but that seems to be the case, but the same issue seems to haunt the PC release as well (though I'm sure PC has a slightly bigger community). I'm guessing best bet would be to grab it on Xbawk or PS3, though I picked Wii U because I mainly wanted to the story AND I absolutely LOVE playing on the Gamepad while relaxing away from a TV.
That is my struggle I am having is that I want to play from my gamepad under the warm blankets but I don't know if I want that vs a thriving multiplayer experience. I played the SP on gamefly and I wasn't that impressed but I enjoyed the multiplayer heavily.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm glad everybody agrees that what nintendo should have done was that instead of looking for ways to expand their platform laterally, try to compete on the same level as microsoft and sony, and then get berated by both the third parties for not supporting them enough after they continue to pull support after first promising that they'll give support to nintendo, and by players for trying to to compete on the same level as microsoft and sony.

Yall are just shining beacons of logic.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Eh, I am not surprised. A game released for the PS3, 360 and PC is easy to port from one console to another. Different controllers, better graphics, that's seemingly easy. But to adapt one of those games so that it works with the gimmicky tablet controller from the WiiU sounds like a hassle. They would probably have to redo the whole game from scratch to maybe fit the items menu in there or add some touch screen controllers...

Now, if they were to made a Castlevania game specifically for the WiiU, it would be a completely different story.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I had no idea it was coming to the PC... I mean, that is awesome. I would prefer to play all of my games on my PC. But I also feel that is a typo.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
While this isn't so bad at least they'll still have Bayonetta 2 so this doesn't really affect me much at all.

Still this won't stop me from getting one and being able to play CV 2 on my 360 at the same time.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Baresark said:
I had no idea it was coming to the PC... I mean, that is awesome. I would prefer to play all of my games on my PC. But I also feel that is a typo.
It isn't a typo. So we can now all rejoice.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Wii U is a failure. And I can't say that I'm surprised.
It is? I haven't been keeping up with WiiU news but I figured people would just suck up anything Nintendo these days.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Baresark said:
It isn't a typo. So we can now all rejoice.
Well, that is really stupidly awesome. I literally just beat Lords of Shadow about two weeks ago. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "this looks pretty damn good for a console game, but the frame rates stutters a bit. I wish this was on the PC".