114: Midgar is Burning

Oct 7, 2007
It's a pity people consider this article something resembling journalism, when the author spends most of the time perpetuating a series of rumors she herself has been strongly involved in creating and spreading, and lack any basis in reality. As someone already pointed out, no research was done for this. She simply wrote a fluff peice around her own resentment and fustrations, while at the same time declining to mention her own attempts at belonging to the same community. I say attempts, because as hard as she tried...she was never really accepted by anyone. Too many people wanted nothing to do with her relentless obsession with her own proported 'beauty', and her tales of what she did in airport restrooms.

And yes, some of us did find it somewhat perplexing that despite her supposed 'True Love' and 'Committed Relationship' with Joe (aka, Trent Mercy), she spent a great deal of time cybering random people under RP guises.

Oct 8, 2007
I was a 'veteran' of this vicarious society, and I feel its important to say that FFRP is something in my life that I regret participating in. My time could have been spent pursuing more rewarding ventures than sitting in a chatroom.

As for the article; half of it is informative, half is gossip, but I suppose that is what drives FFRP in the first place.

Oct 9, 2007
Yo. I am Zack Forrester, also commonly known as Ryan. Just to clarify something, I did know Leigh but no, that was not her character in which I had a love scene with. While Zack did have romps with various Tifa's over the years, Leigh's was not one of them. I didn't think she even had a Tifa? Oh well.

Interesting fact: 'Forrester' - a last name to give Zack more of an "identity" I made in 1998, spawned across the internet and many believed that for a long time to be Zack's actual last name. I had many 'clones' over time on AOL, even arguing this with -me-, the person who made up that last name, on the subject. Even going so far as to say Squarenix officially stated that to be a fact... Google "Zack Forrester" sometime, you'll still see results from cosplayers that have, or still do, use that name as well as forum trolls and the like. I lol'ed.

But anyways, I liked the article despite the shortened length, very well done for only having three pages to sum up FFRPs history. We all know it could've gone on for dozens and dozens, but the facts were hit and I had a good laugh. I feel nostalgic as well, because yes, we did spend arguably way too much time and effort on this. But I still have good friends that I'm closer with online moreso than real-life. It's funny how that works out. I don't look at it like we were doing anything 'bad' to ourselves in the slightest. For a long time it was all about creativity and letting it flow -- I know that seems contradictory as we were using Square's mammoth creations as a basis -- but disregarding that, it made many good and bad memories. I wouldn't change any of it.

Oct 9, 2007
Excellent read, Leigh. Thanks for that.

I'd also like to add (and I'm sure this will blow your freaking mind like it did mine) that since FFRP is now basically dead as far as AOL is concerned, it is now being revived on a game called "Second Life."

It's pathetic how involved people are with FFRP x years later. While some of us (and when I say 'some', I mean <10%) are busy with real-life endeavors such as work and school, you have these idiots still stuck in thier fantasy world.

Hit me up sometime, chick. Let me know how you've been.

AIM: Krizzy

Oct 10, 2007
Tiffles said:
Excellent read, Leigh. Thanks for that.

I'd also like to add (and I'm sure this will blow your freaking mind like it did mine) that since FFRP is now basically dead as far as AOL is concerned, it is now being revived on a game called "Second Life."

It's pathetic how involved people are with FFRP x years later. While some of us (and when I say 'some', I mean <10%) are busy with real-life endeavors such as work and school, you have these idiots still stuck in thier fantasy world.

Hit me up sometime, chick. Let me know how you've been.

AIM: Krizzy
I've never understood why people make fun of those that participate in activities that they themselves used to be absorbed in. As a user of second life, I can tell you that the majority of people on there do not limit themselves to just one SIM. Also, as someone in my last year of college, I can attest that those people that still delve into the RP scene are not all sitting in their parents' basements typing away in a dark corner. You say <10%, which is a highly ignorant statement even with the pretense that it is an exaggeration. Everyone has their enjoyable hobbies, which you and most of the people that have commented here, have enjoyed as well. So while you're lol'ing at what people still do today, can I ask what you've achieved in your life that has given you the authority to turn around in a hypocritical fashion and giggle? You're still replying to articles about FFRP, dear, we all are. Doesn't make anyone less of a person or mean their life is any less significant.

As for the article at hand, it's merely written from a tunnel vision view of what the author saw. Things that were important in her view were hardly important to other onlookers. That was the thing about FFRP though, it was all about your own fan fic, not about the whole picture. Besides, if you looked at the whole picture you'd see that final fantasy play was simply a small section of the AOL RP scene.

Oct 10, 2007
I have to agree with LivinginThePresent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a hobby, as long as it doesn't involve sleeping around with people you've met through the FFRP universe, or flashing nude photos to other role players. If showing pictures of your body to other players is a good hobby, then I suppose I am missing out. Sad Christmas.

Also, you -claim- that all people who FFRP think they are a particular character, when this is not true at all. I for one, never believed once that I was my character. A few other people I know use AOL RP just as a form of being creative.

As for Nina Lang. I remember her quite well--In fact, I do remember her coming to me on several occassions about Roleplaying in one of the AOL groups, as well as getting into the Turk unit. Interesting, very interesting.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i want to say this is quite a good article, i used to roleplay a bit in mmos but never something like this, honestly i wish to play a game that makes me feel something for want to participate in this kind of stuff.

Jun 15, 2008
This world isn't gone. The room "Junon" consistently ranks high on the list. And after a five year hiatus, I've returned to my roots on AOL RP, enjoying a really great SNK vs. Capcom SL.