Rumor: PS4 50% More Powerful Than Xbox 720

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Rumor: PS4 50% More Powerful Than Xbox 720

Conflicting reports from developer sources may reveal next-gen console specs.

With reported E3 2013 announcements and holiday season releases [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116541-Rumor-Next-PlayStation-Coming-in-Late-2013], rumors about the successors to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have been flying fast and loose for months. The latest report comes from VG247, which claims that it learned of some next-gen technical information from "developer sources" after CES. According to the sources, the PS4, also supposedly codenamed Orbis, will have a run-capability of 1.84 teraflops, while the Durango, also referred to unofficially as the Xbox 720, will be capable of 1.23 teraflops. If true, this means that the PS4 will have a 50% "raw, computational power advantage" over Microsoft's next console.

The PS4 won't have every technical advantage, however; the sources state that Sony's next-gen console will have 4GB RAM, of which 3GB will be used for games. On the other hand, the Xbox 720 will feature 8GB RAM, with 4-5GB reserved for gaming. Both consoles will be able to read 100GB Blu-rays discs.

This isn't the first time VG247 has leaked rumors about the unannounced next-gen consoles; the site previously reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120454-Rumor-Very-Affordable-PS4-Based-on-AMDs-A10-APU] that the PS4 would be based on AMD's A10 APU and would be "very affordable." If even half of the rumors about these consoles are true, they're the worst-kept secrets in the gaming industry. Stay tuned for more rumors as we get closer and closer to the supposed announcements of the Durango and Orbis.

Update: Then again, Now Gamer is reporting [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html] that the Xbox 720 will be more powerful than the PS4, so you can choose which rumors to believe based on your console preference. Or, just make up your own specs, but choose carefully; as we all know, the console war is always won by the system that's most technically powerful.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/showtime-ps4-rumoured-at-1-84tf-xbox-720-at-1-23tf/]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Oh my god the imaginary ps4 has more flops than the nonexistant xbox 720 that means it must be better because if history told us anything then it is that consoles with higher specs always do better than weaker ones.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
By that measurement, my PC is 200% faster than the Xbox.
More RAM memory doesn't make any machine more "powerful".

Ridiculous

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Consoles are almost as good as my 2008 rig. Only a few more generations of low quality PC ports.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
OH WOW! Yeah still not buying either of these damn things until they have been out at LEAST a year. Why? RROD or BLOD, or look a shinier one for cheaper came out a year later. I will stick to the current gen and my PC in the meantime.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm hoping the rumors that the ps4 will be cheaper than the ps3 are true. I heard one saying it would be around $400. Logically, Sony will be like "remember when we launched the ps3 at $600 and no one bought it? Lets not do that."

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I have said this time and again: I will start caring about the next generation after the consoles have been officially announced. All these rumours and speculations are backed by nothing more than 'industry insiders,' which, less face it, aren't particularly dependable sources.

Do I doubt the next-gen is on its way? Not at all.
Is it necessary to engage in wild speculation before we have any concrete facts? It is not.
Let's give Sony and Microsoft time to prep their systems for reveal before we start commenting on specs. Until the veil has been lifted, changes can always be made. Hell, they can be made even after the reveal, so setting anything in store by what some secret source whispers now is just kind of silly.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
All this quipple won't really matter for me.

What will matter for me is the rate of failing and overheating consoles of either company.
I know current consoles are much more complex then the old ones.
Still there is no justification why NES and SNES still run and many a gamer had their third current gen console.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
You know what isn't a rumor? Sony is patenting a means of eliminating second hand games. So i'm not buying anything from Sony no matter how much "better" it is.

Are we allowed to urge boycotts on this site? If so I am. If not, I kind of suggest that maybe, possibly, not buying a Sony product again could be um... a good idea... Oh and buy anything from CDProjekt, they're completely anti-DRM and they rock. Just sayin.

tredien

Oct 17, 2008
It the current trend stays the same on the "next gen" it only matters which machine is the slowest,
since games will be developed for that system and then ported to the rest.

Here's to hoping they start doing it the other way around.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Well... Since all Bethesda games are unplayable on PS3, because their engine can't split assets on the PS3's 256+256 Ram/Vram architecture as opposed to the 360's 512 Ram..imagine what will happen when they ACTUALLY have half the memory to work with. /popcorn

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I wish we had some real info than all these constant rumors...

We will have to see, a new console generation is on the horizon, but we have yet to see what it will do.
Real info would be nice. To me this sounds like the PS3 has blast processing though.

Either way I'ma go buy me a Wii U for now. Maybe if Microsoft release hardware that isn't designed and engineered by idiots with no understanding of cooling and has some exclusives I'll consider their product briefly before being put off by the paid-online and adverts.

Sony will have a RAM deficiency from the rumours so Bethesda games that bleed memory will be shit on Sony hardware as ever. But raw speed can be a beneficial thing...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Ah we're going to enter this stage of the console cycle now. It's all a lie people until the console actually gets released =D

I really hope they're similar power to be honest. The games are going to be cross platform anyway and if one is substantially more powerful it'll just be more expensive. If the PS4 has free online and the 360 doesn't, then barring some major problem, I'll go for the PS4. If the PS4 has backwards compatibility, I'll stick with it then too because of all the PS3 games.

If they both charge for online and Sony doesn't have backwards compat. and MS does, I'm not sure which direction I'll go. Most of my faovurite exclusives were Sony ones, but that doesn't really mean much in these days. My sisters are Little Big Planet geniuses though, so that might be a reason to stick with Sony

Nimzabaat said:
You know what isn't a rumor? Sony is patenting a means of eliminating second hand games. So i'm not buying anything from Sony no matter how much "better" it is.

Are we allowed to urge boycotts on this site? If so I am. If not, I kind of suggest that maybe, possibly, not buying a Sony product again could be um... a good idea... Oh and buy anything from CDProjekt, they're completely anti-DRM and they rock. Just sayin.
You know Valve already sells this DRM to Pc companies right? You can't resell Empire: Total War for example because Valve lock it to one Steam account only. It's been happening for years.

And they only patented it, they also patented a type of demo that degrades over time years ago which hasn't been used either

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I really don't care to be a part of the console wars, but as someone who has spent a great deal of time using supercomputers, I feel a need to point out that flops are an almost universally useless benchmark.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
My decision will be easy.

If the next Xbox has free online, I will probably eventually get it once it becomes cheaper and I see an exclusive I will like. Otherwise there is no chance in hell.

The PS4, if it has backwards compatibility then I will probably trade in my PS3 for it if there is a good deal going. Otherwise there is no chance in hell.

Assuming neither of these things happen, I will just finally bring myself to getting a top end PC capable of playing the next few years of games at the highest settings.

Nimzabaat said:
Are we allowed to urge boycotts on this site? If so I am.
Boycotting and advocating boycotting is perfectly allowed, as you don't advocate anything illegal such as pirating or stealing then you're okay.