Dead Space 3 Producer Promises "Disturbing" New Content

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 3 Producer Promises "Disturbing" New Content

Dead Space 3 Executive Producer Steve Papoutsis says the development team is working on some "top secret" content that will be unveiled in a few weeks.

You don't like day-one DLC? No problem! Let's talk about week-two-or-three-ish DLC instead. Dead Space 3 will be out next week, and it turns out that we won't have to wait long for the add-on content to arrive.

"The team is hard at work on a top secret additional story that will be coming in a few weeks," Papoutsis said in a new Dead Space blog post. "We're not saying much, yet - but think 'disturbing' to get your imaginations going."

You could reasonably argue that a week before launch is still pretty early in the game to be talking about DLC but as Papoutsis explains, the nature of the business makes the pre-launch weeks an ideal time for the development team to work on new material. "A lot of folks don't know that when a game 'finishes,' it's actually out of our hands for a few weeks while it goes through manufacturing. So what does the Dead Space team do during that time? Well, we play the game a LOT," he wrote.

"But we also continue to make kick-ass content, so DS3 can be as awesome as it can be on launch day! You've probably seen some of the rad suits we've been making. Like the N7 suit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121623-EA-Brings-Free-Mass-Effect-Armor-to-Dead-Space-3]: if you've played Mass Effect 3, this cool armor will automatically unlock for both Isaac and Carver," he continued. "And like we did for DS2, we'll also have some Day 1 DLC suits, like the Marauder, Sharpshooter, and Tundra Recon suits, that you might choose to pick up."

Okay, so there's some day-one DLC in there too. Sorry about that. Papoutsis also talked about the scavenger bot and "ration seals," and revealed that four unlockable game modes will become available after the game is beaten: New Game+, Classic, Pure Survival and Hardcore, which gives you just a single life for the entire game.

Dead Space 3 comes out on February 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Dead Space 3 Dev Blog [http://www.deadspace.com/news/article/dev-blog-executive-producer-steve-papoutsis]

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So this game now has a $60 price tag, day one DLC, more DLC out a couple of weeks after release and micro transactions? Turning out to be quite expensive this.

On the plus side the extra game modes seem to keep alive the survival horror aspects of the series from the sound of it.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
At this rate, EA will be getting the equivalent of shipping 5 million copies of this game with all the DLC

I won't judge anything until it's out, but color me suspicious as of now

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
So this game now has a $60 price tag, day one DLC, more DLC out a couple of weeks after release and micro transactions? Turning out to be quite expensive this.

On the plus side the extra game modes seem to keep alive the survival horror aspects of the series from the sound of it.
You don't have to buy any of it unless you want to you know...the impossible mode in DS2 was pretty tough with only 3 saves but this one is just one life...challenge accepted.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
At this rate, EA will be getting the equivalent of shipping 5 million copies of this game with all the DLC

And the people who actually made the game won't be seeing any reward for it unless it gets an 8/10 or better from Metacritic.
Where did you hear that?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

And the people who actually made the game won't be seeing any reward for it unless it gets an 8/10 or better from Metacritic.
Where did you hear that?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSChpKoOltNfYwCzmXhgLd_S12MzVsOtHnsec-0r4Tvhz3B5lO9
Then it was not a good one.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Where did you hear that?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSChpKoOltNfYwCzmXhgLd_S12MzVsOtHnsec-0r4Tvhz3B5lO9
Edit: Sorry Fucking Captcha distracted me before I finished.
Fallout 3 devs got stiffed on a bonus because the game only received a 7.9 out of 10.
That was the New Vegas Devs, Obsidian.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116343-Obsidian-Lost-Bonus-for-Fallout-New-Vegas-by-One-Metacritic-Point

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot. There are libraries full of ways people have tripped over themselves.

But with this DlC tease from EA ladies and gentlemen, we have just encountered a whole new breed of self-destructive stupidity.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
oh well, I don't really see why people are so up in arms over DLC whether its day 1 or not. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Where did you hear that?
Then it was not a good one.
And of course you just had to respond before I could edit in my explanation.
FUCK.
I was aware of the jokes source, and i still think it doesnt make for good joking material.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I agree with him I've become so disturbed I'm not buying it. That Microtransaction crafting system is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen... too intense for me guys. Adding in the notice of Day #1 DLC, that's bad too, but once you've already been so terrifying it kind of loses it's impact. The N7 armor after how great ME3 and it's franchise destroying ending was definatly added a lot of "class" onto that package. The gall stone cherry on top of a steaming pile of EA money gouging poo. A reminder of how EA can ruin even the best franchise, and to show us that Dead Space is now alone in falling, even if the causes are differant others have fallen before. :)

That bit of slamming aside, perhaps someone will find a way to derive enjoyment from it. Personally I'm waiting to hear stories about how much people spent playing the game. Not the inevitable "I beat it without spending a dime" the guy who says "I spent $200 on microtransaction currency, I bought everything... the Necromorphs worship my Issac as the second coming of Mau'dib, his name has become a killing word, and he even constructed his own sandworm to ride around the planet on for only $50 of that money!".

Oh wait, that was another slam... I should say something nice.

Well Issac still has a nice armor design that is positively awesome.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
As long as they start working on launch day DLC after the game ships to gold, then I'm cool with it.

Also, this Steve Papoutsis guy seems to be "the guy" this time around. You know, "the guy". If the fans hate DS3, guess who's head will be chased to the mantle?

EDIT: Also, those unlockable modes sound sweet. I'm excited to unlock those.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Therumancer said:
I agree with him I've become so disturbed I'm not buying it. That Microtransaction crafting system is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen... too intense for me guys. Adding in the notice of Day #1 DLC, that's bad too, but once you've already been so terrifying it kind of loses it's impact. The N7 armor after how great ME3 and it's franchise destroying ending was definatly added a lot of "class" onto that package. The gall stone cherry on top of a steaming pile of EA money gouging poo. A reminder of how EA can ruin even the best franchise, and to show us that Dead Space is now alone in falling, even if the causes are differant others have fallen before. :)

That bit of slamming aside, perhaps someone will find a way to derive enjoyment from it. Personally I'm waiting to hear stories about how much people spent playing the game. Not the inevitable "I beat it without spending a dime" the guy who says "I spent $200 on microtransaction currency, I bought everything... the Necromorphs worship my Issac as the second coming of Mau'dib, his name has become a killing word, and he even constructed his own sandworm to ride around the planet on for only $50 of that money!".

Oh wait, that was another slam... I should say something nice.

Well Issac still has a nice armor design that is positively awesome.
I thought the armor in this one looks kinda shit compared to the last one. He looks like a big ole grizzly bear... if you know what I mean.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
At this rate, I'll be purchasing this game the same way I did the last two Dead Space(s)... a year-or-so after the fact for $5 on Steam.
Oh wait... Origin. [Insert cursing at EA here].

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Ed130 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Where did you hear that?
Edit: Sorry Fucking Captcha distracted me before I finished.
Fallout 3 devs got stiffed on a bonus because the game only received a 7.9 out of 10.
That was the New Vegas Devs, Obsidian.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116343-Obsidian-Lost-Bonus-for-Fallout-New-Vegas-by-One-Metacritic-Point
Thanks, I would have done a proper search but I panicked when I realized I had posted a picture without the text.
Happens to everyone, don't worry.

Now back on topic.
Full said:
As long as they start working on launch day DLC after the game ships to gold, then I'm cool with it.

Also, this Steve Papoutsis guy seems to be "the guy" this time around. You know, "the guy". If the fans hate DS3, guess who's head will be chased to the mantle?
Correct. We'll see how big the DLC download is before jumping to any conclusions, unfortunately EA and the Devs it owns loves proving those assumptions right.

On the bright side, they are learning (somewhat). Perhaps...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121761-Dead-Space-3-PC-Wont-Be-Different-From-Console

Dammit. Whoever thought that news release would ender the game to the PC crowd should do something more suited to their talents, like garbage disposal.