Connecticut Ponders Two More Videogame Laws

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Connecticut Ponders Two More Videogame Laws

Connecticut legislators have introduced two more bills aimed at protecting children from the dangers of violent videogames.

It turns out that Connecticut isn't just looking at slapping an extra tax [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121926-Connecticut-Considers-Violent-Videogame-Tax] on the sale of M-rated videogames. State Senator Toni Nathaniel Harp introduced a bill of her own that would limit access to videogames, not in the home, but in public arcades. The proposed bill, SB-328, is entitled "An Act Concerning Minors and Violent Point-and-Shoot Videogames," and would "prohibit a for profit business from allowing a person under the age of eighteen from operating a violent point-and-shoot video simulator on the premises of such business."

The "point-and-shoot" descriptor presumably means games that use light guns, like Time Crisis, Virtua Cop and my personal favorite of the sub-genre, Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I have no idea how popular these things are anymore - in my day, arcade machines had a stick, one button and, if you were lucky, an ashtray - but Time Crisis is one of the games recently removed from rest stops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121471-Massachusetts-Town-Announces-Videogame-Exchange-Program] by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.

Connecticut State Senators Scott Frantz and Andrea Stillman have also introduced a bill, SB-260, calling for the creation of a task for to "explore and identify any links between violent videogames and violent behavior in youths." The makeup of the task force and its mandate beyond that vague statement will presumably be determined if and when the bill is passed.

The Sandy Hook shootings make Connecticut's videogame angst understandable but a law banning under-18s on light gun games would almost certainly be as "constitutionally problematic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121796-Anti-Censorship-Group-Decries-Arcade-Machine-Removals]" as the removal of the machines from Massachusetts rest stops.

More information about the bills can be found at the Connecticut General Assembly: SB-260 [http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=328&which_year=2013&SUBMIT1.x=7&SUBMIT1.y=8].

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2013/02/06/connecticut-state-senator-pushes-bill-prohibit-use-point-and-shoot-video-games-minors#.URKvymf5djM]

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
So we're attacking arcades now? I wasn't aware arcades were still a thing.

I'm so ashamed of my government.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
I thought California was the only state with politicians trying to regulate fake weapons more. I guess I'm wrong. Well at least I will never live in Connecticut so it's silly representatives won't have any affect on me

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Chalk said:
...and my personal favorite of the sub-genre, Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
FUCK YES! We are now best friends Andy. I hope you're okay with this.

OT: Hooray! More wasted tax dollars on fear-fueled policies that have no hope of making it anywhere! Our politicians really need to get a grip and stop giving into all the paranoia.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
The Sandy Hook shootings make Connecticut's videogame angst understandable
The only way it is understandable is if you accept people prefer scapegoating to solving the actual problem.

Anyway, just glad I live in England. At least I would be were it not for some things.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Oh, Connecticut, please go roll over and die in a fire. You've gone well over your allowed quota of trying to get stupid shit passed into law for this year. And it's only the beginning of February.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
This just goes to show just how out of touch the people proposing these bills actually are. I live in CT and barely know about two different arcades, and one of them doesn't even have any M rated games to play. Second of all, these games are no worse than seeing the average summer blockbuster, with only a few of them really pushing to gore factor. At most people play them for a few minutes at a time. I can understand the bill to restrict access to M rated home games (ALTHOUGH I CERTAINLY DON"T AGREE WITH IT) because the people can play those games for hours at a time.

The people who are proposing this bill are a bunch of old people who still think the gaming scene is the same as in the 1980s. All this bill will do is force already struggling arcades to make expensive changes and restrict access to revenue that they need.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Time Crisis? They're banning Time Crisis!? When I was younger, Time Crisis was the shit! I lost count of how many quarters I burnt through to beat 3. Kids need to know about the unstoppable, unkillable force of nature that is Wild Dog.

And violent? Do you know how people die in that game? There is a red/blue shockwave on their chest, they fall over and then disappear. I DON'T THINK THAT'LL TRAUMATIZE ANYONE!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Blablahb said:
So America, you've reached the point where letting children handle and fire dangerous firearms designed for murder is legal, but letting them hold a plastic gun at an arcade is illegal.

Congrats, Japan is decisively beaten by this. The US is officially the weirdest country on the planet.
One state out of fifty does not a weird country make.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
I'm going to say this:

As much as a tragedy that was Sandy Hook, it's over so move the **** on! Stop wasting taxpayer money on things that have little to no correlation to the situation. This is the exact reason why our government is going broke, and that's idiot ideas creating a cesspool of Big Brother-like mentalities. Just stop.

How many police officers could be hired for the millions wasted on these bills?

How many firemen?

How many roads built?

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Nobody should have a problem with either of these bills. The first is so ridiculously out-of-date in it's perception of videogames that it won't really effect anyone in the slightest. Silly and pointless? Absolutely. But hey, it's not actually hurting anyone either. The second bill is just a call for more research into the subject, and we can never have enough of that (especially since these studies usually come out in favor of videogames).
soren7550 said:
Oh, Connecticut, please go roll over and die in a fire. You've gone well over your allowed quota of trying to get stupid shit passed into law for this year. And it's only the beginning of February.
I'm just quoting you to make sure you see my post. I think it's...relevant. Good to know your reflexes are strong though. Because of your ridiculous, knee-jerk overreaction. Get it?

PS: The next time someone baselessly accuses your favorite past time of being responsible for turning people into mindless, violent lunatics, you might consider calmly informing them of the ample evidence to the contrary. Or you can just tell them to go "die in a fire". That'll show 'em, right?

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
...*sigh* well if they really want to make their state less appealing to the younger generation, the next thing up is going to be a total ban

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
6th And Silver said:
The second bill is just a call for more research into the subject, and we can never have enough of that (especially since these studies usually come out in favor of videogames).
While more research is never a bad thing in and of itself, this particular call for research is almost certainly driven by a particular agenda rather than an open-minded search for truth.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
6th And Silver said:
PS: The next time someone baselessly accuses your favorite past time of being responsible for turning people into mindless, violent lunatics, you might consider calmly informing them of the ample evidence to the contrary. Or you can just tell them to go "die in a fire". That'll show 'em, right?
I never said that they should did in a fire because they wanted to pass a law that restricts my favorite pastime, I said they should die in a fire because they've set out to make so many dumbass laws in such a short space of time.

And I don't believe they should die in a fire because 'grr I are violent', its that people so out of touch with reality shouldn't be dictating how everyone else can go about their lives. That and they make the rest of the country look bad.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I can't wait til all this lunacy blows over and I don't have to hear about the stupid laws people wan't past in this country.

Captcha: Mad Hatter - Yeah, that's how it feels right about now.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
"point-and-shoot video simulator"

Couldn't even be bothered to look up the name First Person Shooter... wish I was surprised...