The Elder Scrolls Online Preview - Mud Crabs & Joe DiMaggio

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Elder Scrolls Online Preview - Mud Crabs & Joe DiMaggio

Feels like The Elder Scrolls, right down to the mud crabs and nirnroot.

Read Full Article

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I have a couple of friends with their eyes on TESO, and the thing that's keeping them on the fence is whether or not there's a subscription fee, or if it opts for the Guild Wars 2 business model, i.e., pay for the game at a base price rather than a monthly subscription fee.
I don't suppose they've let slip what they're planning on doing in that regard, have they?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
I was just a dubious, and I've never really been one for MMO. But pop down to the hardware store, pick out the biggest tin of 'interested' colour paint they have and bring it here. I need to cover myself in interested.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
King of Asgaard said:
I have a couple of friends with their eyes on TESO, and the thing that's keeping them on the fence is whether or not there's a subscription fee, or if it opts for the Guild Wars 2 business model, i.e., pay for the game at a base price rather than a monthly subscription fee.
I don't suppose they've let slip what they're planning on doing in that regard, have they?
Oh, very much not. I've rarely seen a "We're not talking about that" come out of a dev's mouth faster than when the ESO guys were asked that question.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Was the combat as static and stiff looking as it seemed in the early gameplay demos?

Like was there a ton of standing still and cycling off abilities? Or is movement encouraged?

That was the biggest thing that turned me off this game. That and the fact it's following a long line of MMORPG's that promised so much and delivered so little -_-

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
What was the combat actually like? It sounds like you have some pretty cool moves but how did it actually play out? Still point and click style or did it take more from other TES games?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
So many games I want to play are hopefully coming out soon...

TESO
0x10c
Age of Empires II HD
War for The Overworld

I might not even have enough time to play them all as much as I want...

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah no, I still have the same worries that I had when it was announced, and some of them are kinda confirmed in this preview

First: the approach of "The story where YOU are the hero" again. Why do mmos keep needing to do this ? I play in a world with THOUSAND of other people, I don't WANT to be considered the centerpiece of the game, even more when other players are considered the same. Not only that, but let me chose my OWN story to freaking play, please. What if I just want to play some lonewolf who just spends my time happily hunting the wildlife in the mountains and taking bounties ? Of course the game won't entirely stop me from doing that, but I know as hell it won't reward me as much than following their cookie-cutter main plot.

It kinda forebodes the same problem that the other mmos who took the same approach had: once you're finished with the main story, you just have the same repetitive tasks at hand, and whatever deity helps you if the pvp is sub-par or unbalanced, because then you have a dead weight on your hard drive.

My second gripe is just that it doesn't seem to be taking anything from what makes the original elder scrolls series good: as in a sandbox approach and freedom. The fact that it's a "classic" mmo and not a sandbox pretty much cuts all the things I would want to do in a TES mmo: breaking into people's houses or guild halls, stealing from their pockets, establishing my own little guild with houses, even maybe a little stronghold that other players could attack later on, finding that magic artifact which will make me a target for every bounty hunter in the world.

As much as TES and the other mmos alike are trying to make me feel special with an epic storyline, it just makes me feel even more like the average schmuck who will be doing the exact same thing as me, for the exact same reasons.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ugh, the more I hear about this game the harder it is to keep my expectations in check. From a hypothetical standpoint this game sounded like a failure right out the gate, but... I really, really want it to be good and this definitely makes me feel that it may be after all.

Don't fail me TESO!

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
Does it really matter if it comes out with a subscription? Judging by basically every other big budget MMO since WoW launched, it will probably be free to play within a week anyway.

OT: This game looks pretty good, this preview has piqued my interest. I'm playing Guild Wars 2 at the moment, and quite enjoying that, definitely seems more fun than when I used to play WoW, but that might just be because I play GW with my best mate, rather than on my own. Not that I'm all that far into GW, since I'm a level 33 or so, out of 80.

Essentially, I just don't dedicate enough time to MMO's, or any one game, so if it does have a subscription fee, I definitely won't get it till it goes F2P.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
A free to play style of payment would be really great, but failing that I would also accept a Guild Wars 2 model, but a subscription based game is not for me.
I hope the bigwigs up at Bethesda make the right call.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I've been sitting here with my Bond-Villain chair in wait to see what tricks this pony performs as well.

My Beta Entry has been handed in and I wait, as all MMO enthusiasts do, with cautious optimism.

They have the ability and the following to topple WoW. StarWars fans aren't necessarily gamers, GuildWars only had their following from the last game, FinalFantasy has this horrible tumour called Square Enix they need to wrestle with before making a good game. All of this combined with word of mouth and doing things both better, as good as, and fresher than WoW will be the only way. So far these all seem like nice ideas and good approaches, but it's always got to be bigger, louder, newer and all inclusive of the features that worked in the formula combined with the new ones.

They have the ingredients.
Will they breed the magic gold egg laying chicken? Who is to say. Odds are both simultaneously IN their favor and yet stacked against them.

But this contender has my eye at least. It's a start. GuildWars 2 Didn't even get that courtesy from me, and I'm pretty picky in my MMO fare.

Also I think they're rushing development of this MMO. Personally. This is my qualm with it.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Guild Wars 2 has set the bar really high and nothing I've seen about ESO makes me think they're up to the challenge.

The Elder Scrolls series does not lend itself to MMO gameplay. This is a massive misstep.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I have such a hard time believing that you forgot you were playing a mmo. The preview looks good but it is so easy to get good press prior to a games release. Lets see what happens when it is actually out.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
razer17 said:
King of Asgaard said:
Does it really matter if it comes out with a subscription? Judging by basically every other big budget MMO since WoW launched, it will probably be free to play within a week anyway.

OT: This game looks pretty good, this preview has piqued my interest. I'm playing Guild Wars 2 at the moment, and quite enjoying that, definitely seems more fun than when I used to play WoW, but that might just be because I play GW with my best mate, rather than on my own. Not that I'm all that far into GW, since I'm a level 33 or so, out of 80.

Essentially, I just don't dedicate enough time to MMO's, or any one game, so if it does have a subscription fee, I definitely won't get it till it goes F2P.
It doesn't matter to me, as I won't be playing it, but it matters to my buddies because we're still students, so a steady income doesn't exist as of yet, and one of these friends already had an account with WoW for a couple of years before he closed it, and it ate hundreds of Euro. Basically, it's an expense they can't afford for a game they want to get into on day 1.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
A lot of what I am reading here addresses issues I have with other MMO's. The screenies look pretty good and not cartoony. I'm looking forward to seeing what they release and hope that it's going to live up to expectations.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
So it isn't a WoW clone.

It's a GW2 clone! Just with shittier combat. Great, it'll probably be dead within 2 years. Free to play within 1.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Very much looking forward to this, especially seeing that it won't be a generic MMO quest format.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
This is addressing my main problem with the main Elder Scrolls games which is how empty they feel. I love em but it really makes you feel alone in the world, even with companions, and seeing other adventurers will make it much more interesting. Hopefully this turns out well.