Heart of the Swarm Moves 1.1 Million Units In 2 Days

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Heart of the Swarm Moves 1.1 Million Units In 2 Days

Blizzard also boasts that 1.1 million viewers tuned in to see the Heart of the Swarm tournament at the MLG Winter Championship in Dallas.

Heart of the Swarm is the first expansion pack to Blizzard's sci-fi RTS StarCraft II. It was released the other week and sold a lot of copies. Blizzard boasts "around 1.1 million" copies of both digital and retail versions of the game were sold within the first two days. As well as this, they claim that 1.1 million viewers tuned in to the Heart of the Swarm tournament at Major League Gaming's most recent event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122820-2-6-Million-Tune-in-to-MLGs-Latest-Esports-Event].

While the sales figures include both physical retail copies and digital downloads, Blizzard did not provide a breakdown of the percentage each made up. In August 2010, Blizzard announced that the original StarCraft II game had sold more than 1 million copies in its first day on sale, and went on to sell around 1.5 million copies in its first two days.

"We want to thank the global StarCraft community for the incredible passion and support they've shown for Heart of the Swarm," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment. "In addition to a brand-new single-player campaign, we added a ton of enhancements with this expansion to make StarCraft II even more fun to play, and more exciting to watch. We're pleased to see gamers and eSports fans around the world enjoying Heart of the Swarm."

"StarCraft II has been a premier game at Major League Gaming events since Wings of Liberty was released," said Sundance DiGiovanni, CEO of Major League Gaming. "Heart of the Swarm has generated even more excitement, and we're all looking forward to what the future brings for StarCraft II eSports." Heart of the Swarm reached a peak concurrent viewership of more than 157,000 viewers during the event.

Little is known of Legacy of the Void, the upcoming expansion and finale in the StarCraft II trilogy, except that it will feature the Protoss.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
The surprise is there wasn't some horrible calamity or controversy over its release. It came out, it worked, and that was that.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Good for you, Blizzard. Is there any chance you're gonna use all your money to get some real writers to replace Hack Metzen? No? Okay.
Of course not. The writing's never been great, but it does amuse me at times. I think Metzen keeps his job security by keeping it all in his head, and just rewriting things when he forgets what he was doing.

He also seems to really like turning women evil, but I don't want to think too much on the implications of that.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
You guys realize this is a poke at SimCity? 1.1 Million units in 2 days rather than 2 weeks?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Uratoh said:
Hammeroj said:
Good for you, Blizzard. Is there any chance you're gonna use all your money to get some real writers to replace Hack Metzen? No? Okay.
Of course not. The writing's never been great, but it does amuse me at times. I think Metzen keeps his job security by keeping it all in his head, and just rewriting things when he forgets what he was doing.

He also seems to really like turning women evil, but I don't want to think too much on the implications of that.
To be TOTALLY fair, I thought the whole Diablo being a lady thing was kind of neat. And I mean, SC1 already had Kerrigan and all that jazz.

OT: Yeah, well, good. Continue making Legacy of the Void :D

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Blizzard also boasts that 1.1 million viewers tuned in to see the Heart of the Swarm tournament at the MLG Winter Championship in Dallas.
I needed to correct you MLG Winter 2013 was not a "torunament", it was a crime scene in which Life went on a raping spree.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
2clueless said:
You guys realize this is a poke at SimCity? 1.1 Million units in 2 days rather than 2 weeks?
yes, thats the first thing that crossed my mind. it outsold sim city 7 times faster.\

Capcha: How about that!
well, you finish my comments......

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Halyah said:
Uratoh said:
Hammeroj said:

Not really evil so much as complete batshit fucking stupid(looking at you Paletress). He's pretty much just as much a hack as George Lucas is for more or less the same reasons. 'course it doesn't help that blizzards writing team is about on par with Rob Liefeld and other infamous comic writers.
Are you using Paletress as an example of bad writing or an evil character? I agree that blizzards writing tends to be pretty bad, but I think Paletress is a bad example of an evil(or stupid I guess) character, if that is what you are getting at(if not then please excuse this post). If so though, how exactly is she stupid? I cannot remember much about her, it has been a long time since I have been around the tourny.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The news is not a surprise actually that they've managed to reach 1.1 in 2 days.

I knew this game would be a great game as I've enjoyed it myself when I played the campaign. Not gonna touch the multiplayer and I will probably replay the story again once I finish reading all the novels & mangas regarding the StarCraft universe.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Halyah said:
Broderick said:
Halyah said:
Uratoh said:
Hammeroj said:

Not really evil so much as complete batshit fucking stupid(looking at you Paletress). He's pretty much just as much a hack as George Lucas is for more or less the same reasons. 'course it doesn't help that blizzards writing team is about on par with Rob Liefeld and other infamous comic writers.
Are you using Paletress as an example of bad writing or an evil character? I agree that blizzards writing tends to be pretty bad, but I think Paletress is a bad example of an evil(or stupid I guess) character, if that is what you are getting at(if not then please excuse this post). If so though, how exactly is she stupid? I cannot remember much about her, it has been a long time since I have been around the tourny.
Example of a complete moron, not evil. I call her that for the blatant idiocy of not taking corpses and turning them to ash to prevent them from being raised into undeath when they are basically in the place that is the scourges capital area. She might as well have put up a big poster saying "FREE TROOPS HERE! 8D"(she's creditet as being the person responsible for corpses not being put on a pyre to begin with). If you want an example of evil, I'd point towards Sylvanas instead who's pretty much turning into a saturday morning cartoon villain.
Ah yes makes sense. I was not sure if you were talking about the boss fight with her or just in general. It is damn stupid that in the center of the enemies power, they did not do all they could to prevent such things from happening. I think that was just one of the many instances of lack of foresight from blizzard however, and her character suffered for it. Granted she didnt have much of a character to begin with really. I mean her name is basically a joke, referring to whitemane(pale is white ish, and a "tress" is a lock of hair, so whitemane=paletress).

As for Sylvanas, I used to like her quite a lot as a character, but they really shot her in the knees with EVIL. I mean there is almost no reason for her to go as far as she does with some of the acts she has committed. I suppose you could blame that on her not having an outlet for her anger anymore now that the Lich King is neutralized. The one thing she dedicated her life to end is now gone, so I figure she is taking it out on everyone else. That...or I am giving blizzards writers way too much credit, and they are setting her up to be a raid boss like Garrosh.

Dessembrae

Feb 27, 2008
Tanakh said:
I needed to correct you MLG Winter 2013 was not a "torunament", it was a crime scene in which Life went on a raping spree.
I actually lol:ed when I read that...It's also true ;D

OT: well yeah it's a blizz game, I pre-ordered it in nov. And now I have to wait for legacy of the void -_-

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Just gonna make a prediction here, Legacy of the Void will also sell extremely well. I had Heart of the Swarm pre-ordered so yay, I contributed. Maybe now Blizzard can build a big badass hyrdalisk statue to compliment their orc riding a wolf statue.