Feast Your Eyes On the Glorious Scenery of Grand Theft Auto V

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Feast Your Eyes On the Glorious Scenery of Grand Theft Auto V

Up in the air and under the sea, we have ten new Grand Theft Auto V screens for you to see.

Grand Theft Auto screenshot extravaganzas are a tricky business. They're always gorgeous, but what can you really say about them? They're like another person's vacation photos: Here's somebody scuba diving, here's somebody skydiving, here's somebody chewing up the neighborhood with a minigun. Pretty, but empty.

[gallery=1239]

I suppose, though, that we already know all we need to know about the next GTA game, and that these shots are simply meant to inform us (in case we'd forgotten) that the environments in V will be eye-burningly beautiful and ridiculously varied, and that if you want to take some time to explore the majesty of the undersea world, you can. And if you want to blow a helicopter out of the sky with Ol' Painless, well, that's okay too.

Grand Theft Auto V [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXKU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364397473&sr=8-1&keywords=Grand+Theft+Auto+V] is currently scheduled to launch on September 17 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Whoa, wait, PC? Did I miss something? Last I heard they weren't planning to (not that I expected them not to). I didn't see anything on here about it, which I actually would have thought I would here first of all places...oh well, maybe I just missed it. If that's true, then color me excited. I thought I was going to have to settle on my PS3 to crank out the visuals of this game...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
It looks kind of... exactly like GTA 4. Which I really disliked.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Whoa, wait, PC? Did I miss something?
Nope, you are correct. A PC release is being considered (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120710-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-for-PC-and-Wii-U-Up-For-Consideration [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120710-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-for-PC-and-Wii-U-Up-For-Consideration]) but I'm afraid I jumped the gun a bit there. Sorry if I got you all wound up. :)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Man, unless they discovered some secret programming technique or something for the consoles, the framerate is going to suck all kinds of dick.
Probably.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Man, unless they discovered some secret programming technique or something for the consoles, the framerate is going to suck all kinds of dick.
Probably.
Yep it is called PS4 and 720. I for one am sceptical that the screens shown here are current gen tech. Much like Watchdogs was never really a current gen game, I have a feeling we are seeing the next gen pics but being told it will appear on the current systems too. NONE of the talk from the developer has said these are screen shots from a specific system.

I may just not trust publishers after this shit happened. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines] Hell I could be completely wrong too and they do have magic code now.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
looks good. that fourth one could be straight out of skyrim. well except for the bridge that is.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
AC10 said:
Yea, I'm betting that the story will be a pretentious bore with some "important" character (probably one of the protagonists) getting killed off in the climax. I'm not psychic, I've just played all R*'s other games from this gen...except for the ping pong game. Did the man with the paddle or his coach die in that?

Then again, the minigun is back. If it shreds shit up on a spree like it did in San Andreas, I'm sold. I'll probably only play the story long enough to unlock it (and the whole map of course); at that point I will be too busy shredding everything in sight with a minigun. Of course if they nerfed it like they did the attack chopper (if that's what you can call it) in gta4, I will be very disappointed.

As for the beauty, R* could've figured something out. Remember San Andreas? I couldn't believe how much game they crammed onto a DVD. Mind you, that was a really glitchy game, not Bethesda bad but pretty bad.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
GonzoGamer said:
Then again, the minigun is back. If it shreds shit up on a spree like it did in San Andreas, I'm sold. I'll probably only play the story long enough to unlock it (and the whole map of course); at that point I will be too busy shredding everything in sight with a minigun. Of course if they nerfed it like they did the attack chopper (if that's what you can call it) in gta4, I will be very disappointed.

As for the beauty, R* could've figured something out. Remember San Andreas? I couldn't believe how much game they crammed onto a DVD. Mind you, that was a really glitchy game, not Bethesda bad but pretty bad.
The entire map is unlocked from the beginning of the game, and if they're not lying is bigger than several of their previous games combined. I'm fucking pumped to fly a Hydra around that.

And that minigun screenshot made me very happy, I cannot wait to rampage with that thing if it's anything approaching its sheer power in San Andreas.

ArmorKingBaneGief

Mar 19, 2012
Personally, I'm hoping for customization. More Carl Johnson and less Niko, please. If I want my guy to run around in his underwear, a hockey mask and a pink mohawk, that's my business.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I some how don't think those screens are from the 360/ps3 generation. If they are, it'd be cool if they could share their tech with bethesda so the next Skyrim could look better than a reskinned version of Doom3D har har har har.

seriously though, i doubt those screens are from the current generation.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
AC10 said:
How so? GTA 4's graphics were a major improvement over San Andraes (Since SA looked like crap, even when it first came out). I can understand people not liking the setting and the atmosphere of the game (Each to their own) but the screen shots just look....well..pretty. And better than GTA 4.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Reaper195 said:
AC10 said:
How so? GTA 4's graphics were a major improvement over San Andraes (Since SA looked like crap, even when it first came out). I can understand people not liking the setting and the atmosphere of the game (Each to their own) but the screen shots just look....well..pretty. And better than GTA 4.
They look just like GTA4 on the PC to me. I didn't like the game because the series started taking itself way, way too seriously. When I grew up, GTA was this:
and it was great. It was silly, it was fun, the story was ludicrous and the point of the game was really to just run amok. Contrast that to GTA4 where everything is so damn serious, and the whole game just has that... "rockstar" feel to it. I know it's an intangible thing, but I just don't like rockstar games very much.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
AC10 said:
Hah, exactly what I thought AC10 :D

And I haven't played GTA 4 yet; although it looks a lot like GTA 4 with ENB mods.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Until I hear the word that the Car Driving/Handling will be actually fun and not hurr hurr its realistic you'll get used to it, then No Sale for me.

nexus

May 30, 2012
You poor souls can go ahead and complain all you want. This is a Day 1 for me. Also, I want to know what planet people live on where they think "GTA 4 was too serious", it took on a more down to earth tone, but the entire game was a satire.
Darks63 said:
Until I hear the word that the Car Driving/Handling will be actually fun and not hurr hurr its realistic you'll get used to it, then No Sale for me.
I thought the driving was immensely fun. The driving in Saints Row 3 is trash to me, all you do is press a button and go forward. Yay, so interesting and compelling.