Sony Wants More Than Just Shooters on PlayStation 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Wants More Than Just Shooters on PlayStation 4

Sony wants the world to know that there are more ways to have fun with a PlayStation 4 than just shooting things in the face.

Let's begin by acknowledging that shooters are awesome, a point that I don't think too many gamers will be inclined to argue. But there's more to life than just murdering tons of dudes and Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios, said he doesn't want the upcoming PlayStation 4 console to be known for nothing but first-person virtual gunfire. Commitment to that principle, in fact, is why the cartoon-like platformer Knack was chosen as the first title to be shown at the February PS4 reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122266-Updated-First-PS4-Games-Shown-at-PlayStation-Meeting].

"It was pretty intentional," Yoshida told Edge. "We were like, yeah, we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic, you know, big-budget blockbuster games. And you know people like these games but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with."

Sony rolled out some very impressive footage of Killzone: Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs and several other big-budget titles at the reveal as well, but Yoshida emphasized that while the "core technology and performance of the hardware" is vital, the hardware itself isn't the primary focus. "When you look at the five key principles behind designing PS4, none of them are hardware related, actually," he said. "It's all about how people us and experience, enjoy games, realized by the system software features and network functions."

The PlayStation 4 does not yet have a hard release date but is expected to be out for the 2013 holiday season.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/shuhei-yoshida-doesnt-just-want-shooters-on-ps4-and-thats-why-knack-was-revealed-first/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Give me more platformers and I'll be happy. That's why I love my PS3 so much, there are actual platformer games on there and games of different variety that I can play. While when I played my Xbox all I could really ever see were FPS games which is boring to me.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I think there probably are quite a few gamers who would argue that shooters aren't awesome, and this website is one place where you're more likely to come across them than other places.

I personally don't dislike them as a concept though. Not my favourite, but I've thoroughly enjoyed many a shooter.

But regardless, it's good that Sony want to spread out in what they offer. It does get pretty tiring seeing all the big games being shooter after shooter. It's gotten to the point where often videogames = shooters to many people. Games have so much more to offer than that though, and I'm glad Sony want to show that off, instead of just trying to get the next big blockbuster shooter that everyone wants to play.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Hire Sonic Team to make some original titles. Their games used to be well known for being innovative, colourful, and original, without the need to be overtly violent.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good, I don't want just shooters either. To be fair, I don't want just platformers, just RPGs or just adventure games either.

Here's hoping there's a veritable smorgasbord of genres available on the PS4.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Has everyone already forgot about the WONDERBOOK?!

But yeah, I agree, we need more variety. If AAA falls, chances are we will finally see more than Shooty Gun Mc. Shooterson.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well I like first person shooters, and shoot em ups. I also like RPG's, RTS's, Dungeon crawlers, platformers, h ack n slash, spectacle fighters, karting games, etc.

Variety is the spice of life as it were, the PS3 wasn't bad for variety to be honest but it did have it's fair share of big budget shooters.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Let's begin by acknowledging that shooters are awesome, a point that I don't think too many gamers will be inclined to argue.
You must be new to the internet.

Sarcasm aside, it's nice to see some people pushing for a little variety in the game libraries. I never once considered picking up either Xbox because of their image as the console with all the FPS games, and I don't enjoy FPS games.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Offer free or low-cost localization. It's hard for the international gaming scene to develop if localization isn't affordable for small developers; for instance while there is still a Western interest in the Japanese gaming market, few actually know of the small development teams out there because they can't afford to get their games localized.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Sony is pretty good about getting a variety of games onto the console. Out of the big three last generation I think they probably had the most success with everything from Little Big Planet and Fat Princess to Uncharted and Killzone (and inFamous and Heavy Rain and Motorstorm and God of War and Gran Turismo!)

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
So, now, instead of an actual FPS, we'll get a lot of "Like an FPS, but..." type game designs? I'm not ragging on Sony, per se. My pithy comment is really aimed more generally at the triple-A developers/publishers who have become very inbred with their ideas.

yellowmage

Mar 2, 2011
Knack is definitely my favourite of the PS4 games seen so far. Plus, Level-5 is working on a PS4 game so the system's RPG cred will be off to a good start!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's good to hear, it's almost like Sony are listening to their customers and actually trying to bring about some innovation to console games. Not to say there isn't any already, but more would certainly be welcome.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
TheProfessor234 said:
Has everyone already forgot about the WONDERBOOK?!

But yeah, I agree, we need more variety. If AAA falls, chances are we will finally see more than Shooty Gun Mc. Shooterson.
Forgot? I didn't even know it was released until Dealzon pointed out that the PS Move-Wonderbook bundle was already being put on sale.

I agree on more variety, especially if that means we get -less- Uncharted and -more- Persona ports. Just managing that would make me happier than a Game of Thrones fan getting to read the unfinished draft of the next book.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Chalk this up as yet another reason why I'll probably get the PS4 rather than the Nextbox.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
Missive from Bros of the world -----> Sony

"Sony, bro.......you only need shooters and Madden, those are totally the only games that matter, other games are for nerds and losers"

*shudders*

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Variety is spice of life after all. Sony seems to be saying all the right things at the moment, can they deliver on it though is the real question.