Mega Man X Coming to Wii U Virtual Console

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mega Man X Coming to Wii U Virtual Console

The classic SNES game will join the Wii U's Virtual Console service on May 30th.

The 3DS has been getting a lot of Mega Man love lately. In addition to releasing a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123649-Capcom-Releasing-Mega-Man-25th-Anniversary-3DS-Cases>snazzy limited edition protective case to commemorate the series' quarter century of existence, Capcom has been steadily re-releasing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121139-First-Six-Mega-Man-Titles-Hitting-3DS-eShop>the first six Mega Man games to the 3DS's Virtual Console section on the eShop. <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/18/4342924/mega-man-5-launches-for-nintendo-3ds-soundtrack-available-to-download>Mega Man 5 became available for purchase a little over a week ago and now, Nintendo has revealed that even more retro Mega Man is on the way, this time for the Wii U.

Mega Man X will soon be joining the Wii U's Virtual Console. A spin-off of the main Mega Man series, it was originally released in 1993 and followed the exploits of the titular X, a robot on mission to stop the evil Mavericks and their leader Sigma. It would launch a long-running series of games that would see releases on the SNES, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, PlayStation 2, GameCube and PC. Many of the entries within the X series would go on to sell well and earn critical acclaim, making the May 30th release of the Wii U port something to look forward to.

The addition of Mega Man X is certainly a boon to the Wii U's Virtual Console service, which is set to see other high profile releases in the future, including the <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123363-EarthBound-Is-Coming-to-Wii-Us-Virtual-Console>well-loved RPG Earthbound. In the least, it will give Mega Man devotees and fans of the X series something new (or old depending on how you look at it) to do on the Wii U. Even so, with Wii U sales still moving forward at the pace of a robot snail (I'm sure there's robot snails in Mega Man somewhere), one has to wonder if perhaps Mega Man X might have been more successful on the 3DS. Although for that to happen Nintendo would need to start releasing SNES games to the 3DS Virtual Console, which it hasn't been doing for some strange reason.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/25/4365662/mega-man-x-launching-for-wii-u-virtual-console-may-30>Polygon

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I'm still not a hundred per cent sure why all of these SNES games aren't available on the 3DS as well. Anyone know why Nintendo aren't making them both console or handheld? Seems like a no-brainer really.

Wait. Hang on, is it a push to drive up WiiU sales?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Mega Man X2, Crystal Snail, so yes, there is a robot snail in the mega man verse, and its a boss.

Anyway, I find it odd as well they haven't been release SNES games for the 3DS as well, not like they couldn't. rather have SNES games on the go if I'm a get em off the Nintendo store

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Capcom seems to be giving a lot of Megaman love to Nintendo. Maybe they could do the greatest thing and resume Megaman Legends 3!
I can dream can't I?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
I'm still not a hundred per cent sure why all of these SNES games aren't available on the 3DS as well. Anyone know why Nintendo aren't making them both console or handheld? Seems like a no-brainer really.

Wait. Hang on, is it a push to drive up WiiU sales?
I was just about to ask the same thing actually. I'd love to be able to play Super Metroid or something on the go. I really don't understand why they haven't done it, it's not as if the 3DS can't run them.

Same goes for GBA games. That really does baffle me.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Oh, good...I mean, yeah, I like Megaman X, I guess...don't bother giving me a release date for Earthbound, though; that would be too much for me to handle.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
SNES and GBA games aren't available for download yet because they'll cut into the sales of NES and GB/GBC games.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Rossco64 said:
SNES and GBA games aren't available for download yet because they'll cut into the sales of NES and GB/GBC games.
I truly hope that isn't Nintendo's rationale, because that makes no sense.
What difference does it make? They're *all* quite old.
Or is there some magical, non-arbitrary, statue of limitations on what counts as "retro"?

Retro games have appeal on a case-by-case basis; and anyone who wants them for nostalgic reasons are going to want them regardless of how many there are.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Aw, I really wanted to try this game at some point in my life. Just break down and sell it for the 3DS already. I am not buying a Wii U for an SNES game.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
They better release all 3 SNES games for the Wii U, and Sony better get to talking with Capcom about releasing the 4-6 PS1 versions on PSN. Or they could just re-release the X Collection on PSN, just either way I WANT MY DAMN MEGA MAN X COLLECTION. I never played 3 and 4.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
RUMOR TIME: Because of all the Mega man coming to Nintendo Consoles, one can only assume Mega Man will become the next Nintendo Exclusive Series (After Bayonetta and Sonic the Hedgehog). Not only that, Mega Man will be a part of Super Smash Bros U!

OT: I've heard good things about this game. I might get it.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I loved the heck out of this game, and can beat it with my eyes closed, but I can't help but think WiiU owners got a raw deal. No X2 and X3 (same system)? No Maverick Hunter X with the remastered graphics, VAs, cinematics, and ability to play as Vile?
Read my mind. Sadly nintendo isn't being very progressive with their VC. They are making very boring moves which is sad because their catalog they have to work with is freaking amazing and I would throw money to play my SNES or the maverick hunter x on my wiiU or 3DS.

I hope they don't do what they did with the Wii and take like 5 years to get 30% of their classics out.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
If they started putting SNES games on 3DS they couldn't get my money fast enough. What little I have anyways.

Imagine SMB RPG, Secret of Mana, MMX 1-3 etc.

Considering they already did some ports to DS of Breath of Fire, Yoshi's Island, and Chrono Trigger I have to assume that the various companies involved are reserving them for full retail rereleases....no I can't believe that.

They just don't enjoy making buckets of cash on games they have already got lying around collecting dust, which people would like to play again.

I may still have a working SNES packed away, as far as I know anyways, and there are emulators out there. I would just rather have these games all on my 3DS.

I already have Mega Man 2 on it, and portable Mega Man is something everyone should experience.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Hey guys, remember the days when you could buy collections packs of games? Like the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3 that came with 49 games. Why did that stop? Why can Capcom just put all of the Megaman X games in a $50 pack and sell that?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
KoudelkaMorgan said:
If they started putting SNES games on 3DS they couldn't get my money fast enough. What little I have anyways.

Imagine SMB RPG, Secret of Mana, MMX 1-3 etc.
It would be great if they released those 6 games in less than 3 years. Sadly they have a bad habit of spreading the lineup too thin to the point where by the time they release it I don't care anymore. :/

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Seeing how I still have my original cart I'll pass, on top of Nintendos strange policy of selling Wii/WiiU/3DS games 100% separate vs everyone else.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I loved the heck out of this game, and can beat it with my eyes closed, but I can't help but think WiiU owners got a raw deal. No X2 and X3 (same system)? No Maverick Hunter X with the remastered graphics, VAs, cinematics, and ability to play as Vile?
I've played the remakes of X2 and X3, and frankly, I think we should just stick with the first one.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
weirdguy said:
I've played the remakes of X2 and X3, and frankly, I think we should just stick with the first one.
What remakes of X2 and X3? I've not heard of those.
Basically the "xtreme" collection on the gbc, which while not EXACTLY like the originals, cribs the stages and music from them, and I wasn't particularly impressed.