Mega Man X Coming to Wii U Virtual Console

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
GAunderrated said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:
If they started putting SNES games on 3DS they couldn't get my money fast enough. What little I have anyways.

Imagine SMB RPG, Secret of Mana, MMX 1-3 etc.
It would be great if they released those 6 games in less than 3 years. Sadly they have a bad habit of spreading the lineup too thin to the point where by the time they release it I don't care anymore. :/
Surely part of the problem there lies with publishers. Secret of Mana is a Square game, and Mega Man X is Capcom's. Nintendo can't just take those old games and start charging for them on the Virtual Console, they'd have to work out a deal with those publishers first. Which is why I imagine some games aren't coming onto the system as quick as many people would like. Nintendo doesn't own all the classic games on their systems, not even close. Licensing and curation deals can be a huge pain in the ass I imagine.
That is indeed a major problem, publishers are not in the slightest bit co-operative with re-releases of old games. Particularly once regional licencing comes in. It took 7 years for the EU PlayStation store to get Symphony of the Night for example.

I think another issue with the Virtual Console is pricing, it could definately stand to be a couple of pounds cheaper. £2 for an NES/Master System/Game Gear/TurboGrafX game, £3.50 for a SNES/Mega Drive/GBA, £6 for N64/Saturn, since the cost of reproduction is cheaper the lowe prices would make it much more impulse friendly and much more appealling as a way of amassing the digital library. It could also really benefit from being account bound and not system bound.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
Capcom seems to be giving a lot of Megaman love to Nintendo. Maybe they could do the greatest thing and resume Megaman Legends 3!
I can dream can't I?
Dream on humming swordsman, dream on! For one day it may come true. :)

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I don't own a Wii U, but Mega Man X was already present on the Wii's Virtual Console, and since it is possible to transfer Wii VC games to the Wii U I assume this means that the Wii U does not have the same titles available as the Wii does?

If so, this would mean that Wii U owners that also own a Wii (or know someone that does) have a far greater selection of VC games available than those who don't: you just have to buy the game in the Wii store first and then transfer it. A bit weird, really.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Aardvark Soup said:
I don't own a Wii U, but Mega Man X was already present on the Wii's Virtual Console, and since it is possible to transfer Wii VC games to the Wii U I assume this means that the Wii U does not have the same titles available as the Wii does?

If so, this would mean that Wii U owners that also own a Wii (or know someone that does) have a far greater selection of VC games available than those who don't: you just have to buy the game in the Wii store first and then transfer it. A bit weird, really.
The difference between the Wii and the Wii U's Virtual console is that Wii U games have an overlay that enables savestates and tablet play, whereas the Wii was just straight-up emulation with no extra features. People who pay that extra fee to transfer the VC games from the Wii version to the Wii U version are getting a version with slight feature improvements. Not every game from the Wii's VC have been fitted with the improvements, though.

The 3DS also features the overlay for its NES and GB/GBC games, making up for poor/non-existent save features in those games. You can also exit to the Home menu without quitting the game outright. However, the free GBA games and some of the NES games given away to Ambassadors did not get the same treatment, have no savestates (regular saves are still present), and you must exit the game to go back to Home.