Australians Pay Sky High Prices For Digital Games

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009

IT companies seem to have very little interest in addressing consumer concerns.

So if you were to purchase, say, Dishonored digitally, and you live in Sydney, Australia, how much would you expect to pay? Maybe Steam has it for the US price, but if it doesn't, then what? Well, an 84% mark-up is what, as Australia is far and away the most expensive place on the planet for digital media. Mark-ups average a 50% premium for pretty much everything, from books, to music, to software, but games are among the most expensive products to buy digitally. "In some cases price disparities in relation to digitally delivered games are so large," reports the House of Representatives Committee inquiring into IT pricing,"that it can be substantially cheaper for Australian consumers to purchase a physical copy of new release games from a UK-based online store and have it shipped 15,000km to Australia." Or, y'know, pirate; not that anyone would ever do such a thing, of course [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123515-American-Ambassador-Lectures-Aussies-On-Game-of-Thrones-Theft].

So why should this be so? There's several different factors involved. Local costs of doing business, among other area-specific factors like statutory regulation, are cited by the Australian Information Industry Association as being of some importance. However the big issue is price discrimination by the suppliers, which high prices are then passed on to the public. "It is clear," says the Committee, "that international price discrimination is being practiced against some Australian retailers, to the detriment of Australian consumers." Distributors are trying to create what's described as "walled gardens", in which the ecosystem is locked up and controlled by a single retailer or supplier. It doesn't help that Australia's a small market for IT products - lots of people want them, there just aren't lots of people in Australia comparative to elsewhere - which means Australia lacks the leverage to get a better price deal. But games? Often those are played on US servers, and downloaded from a US portal. "We are buying a product from this company in exactly the same manner as a US citizen," says one consumer to the Committee, "yet we Australian consumers can pay up to double the price." No representatives from the gaming industry gave any testimony to the Committee.

The Committee wasn't very happy with the responses given it by the IT industry. Its submissions were "of limited benefit to the inquiry and in the Committee's view did very little to address consumers' concerns." Representatives from Apple, Adobe and Microsoft had to be issued summonses to appear and give evidence; polite invitations had been ignored. Meanwhile those industry groups that did testify - the Australian Home Entertainment Distributors Association, for one - cite piracy as being a major factor. "It is important for the Committee to recognize," says the AHEDA, "that Australia has some of the highest rates of online piracy infringements in the world." But the artificial barriers to content created by rights holders, as the Communications Alliance points out, is one of the main motivators for piracy; make content legal and affordable, and the problem solves itself. So long as geoblocking - using technology to enforce price discrimination against a particular region - is an issue in Australia, there will be piracy.

Naturally the suppliers have a different take on geoblocking. "You would need to take into account the impact that [relaxing geoblocking] would have," says Adobe, "on organizations globally being willing to invest in the country and run a local operation employing staff and building an ecosystem that delivers inputs and adds value to the economy."

Source: House of Representatives Committee [http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=ic/itpricing/report.htm]

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
This should have alluded to the actual inquiry in the article title. The mere fact that Australians pay through their noses for digital games is nothing new.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
oh your talking about the "fuck oceania tax"

you suggest steam as a alternative "BUZZ!!!" wrong, its as overpirced as reatil, becuase. infact reatil is often cheaper then steam

and before the defender of this pricing suggest its a internal tax, your wrong, their is no sales tax on purchases on digital goods in either Aus or NZ for the price you get games. and the game isn't taxed on the other end as well.

its simply a mark up because they can.

but i can use a VPN and pay russian prices, afterall if a publisher wants to fuck me, i'm not going to reward them by paying US prices, fuck them

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
oliver.begg said:
oh your talking about the "fuck oceania tax"

you suggest steam as a alternative "BUZZ!!!" wrong, its as overpirced as reatil, becuase. infact reatil is often cheaper then steam

and before the defender of this pricing suggest its a internal tax, your wrong, their is no sales tax on purchases on digital goods in either Aus or NZ for the price you get games. and the game isn't taxed on the other end as well.

its simply a mark up because they can.

but i can use a VPN and pay russian prices, afterall if a publisher wants to fuck me, i'm not going to reward them by paying US prices, fuck them
This is the reason valve were among the companies like microsoft and adobe in the summons.

OT: Hopefully we start seeing some price drops but I'm not too hopeful.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I wonder if there's a way that someone from North America can buy the game off Steam and then gift it to the Australian?

My family lives in Oz, and they'll be here in Canada in a couple weeks. I'll ask them if we should set something like that up.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Karloff said:

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Though i have to remark on the obviousness of the title, we have a fair number of Aussies on the forum who have sounded off about it, and we have been hearing about the Aussie government calling out software giants for overcharging in the past.

Also i recall hearing something during the Steam summer sales about a game that was on sale for 2 cents less than its usual price in Australia.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
Its illegal if Australia has any regulation, fees, or taxes that the US doesn't have. Steam can ban you for it. Its the reason an American was banned for selling games to foreigners without the taxes and fees associated with their countries. Its seen as tax dodging, and steam can't afford to have foreign countries accuse it of helping people avoid taxes.
Ah. Well, that sucks. I know Australians pay way more for loads of things as it is, it's not fair.

My cousins even contemplate buying a car while they're here, shipping it home and paying to have the steering wheel switched over to the other side. They said that's still cheaper than buying a car in Oz.

They always load up on things when they come here and ship it home. It's stupid how it's cheaper to pay for shipping home on top of purchase than to buy it there.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Aussies really need to push their government into mandating a price ceiling for software if this keeps happening - If there is one thing I'm certain that the business side will really hate, it's a government mandate that will force low prices and severely reduced profits. Seems to me that after Australia's government started asking questions on why Adobe and Autodesk products were so high in Australia compared to everyone else, nobody else but Adobe got the hint that perhaps the strength of the Australian Dollar isn't as weak as it used to be...

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Miyenne said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Its illegal if Australia has any regulation, fees, or taxes that the US doesn't have. Steam can ban you for it. Its the reason an American was banned for selling games to foreigners without the taxes and fees associated with their countries. Its seen as tax dodging, and steam can't afford to have foreign countries accuse it of helping people avoid taxes.
Ah. Well, that sucks. I know Australians pay way more for loads of things as it is, it's not fair.

My cousins even contemplate buying a car while they're here, shipping it home and paying to have the steering wheel switched over to the other side. They said that's still cheaper than buying a car in Oz.

They always load up on things when they come here and ship it home. It's stupid how it's cheaper to pay for shipping home on top of purchase than to buy it there.
Just buy it from either ozgameshop or greenman gaming or another half dozen sites then add it to your steam library as normal.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Bit of a chicken-egg situation here. People are complaining of high prices, then the main body for the industry is citing piracy as a reason for the high prices. Who goes first, the companies lowering prices to more affordable means, or the people showing their willingness to engage legally?

I say companies, personally. But it needs effort from both sides.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
This is why I said; 'fuck no' to Microsofts 'digital' future of the Xbox One (among other reasons). It's stupid that it's cheaper for me to have something physcially shipped than downloaded. We're proof that if you charge stupid prices then people are going to look for alternatives to aquire your product, it's gotten to the point that my computer illiterate sister illegally downloads Game of Thrones.

No wonder our locals games industry crashed a couple of years ago, we couldn't afford to keep it going.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
BigTuk said:
Keep in mind digital distributors don't set the prices of their goods. The publishers essentially set how much they want to get and steam deals with the rest. Astralia has historically had to pay higher prices and the thinking behind many board rooms is 'Well they've always paid more, why should they stop' in fact there's more incentive for suppliers to maintain this pricing,

Witgh a physical game there's a shipping cost but in a digital game well that cost goes away so the profit margin jumps. Remember the rules of pricing. A supplier will set the price as high as he can get away with. This is typically influenced by the price of the nearest competition. If all the suppliers however agree to keep their products within a price range then no supplier has any real incentive to lower prices.

Then you add in regional taxes/tarrifs that the government actually forces on the suppliers to keep them from undercutting local suppliers. You also have to remember that due to censorship more than a few games require post production modification. Which costs mony which is passed on to the consumer.

Want this to change...harder to do with digital. With physical goods the power is with the consumer since if they simply boycott the prices the supplier is forced to lower after all, the stuff is taking up valuable warecouse/shelf/inventory space. Digital, not so much. they can hold on to it from not to eternity at a given price.
\

except their are no taxes or tariffs on this stuff yet. they are trying to bring them in, but they currently don't exist

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
oliver.begg said:
Karloff said:
Maybe Steam has it for the US price, but if it doesn't, then what? Well, an 84% mark-up is what, as Australia is far and away the most expensive place on the planet for digital media. Mark-ups average a 50% premium for pretty much everything, from books, to music, to software, but games are among the most expensive products to buy digitally.
I'm pretty sure you didn't read this close enough. This article was written to specifically point out how crappy steam is over there.

I agree with Squilookle, though. Why is this news? I don't see any new information. Everything here has been covered countless times by Oceanic netizens like Yahtzee for several years now.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Griffolion said:
Bit of a chicken-egg situation here. People are complaining of high prices, then the main body for the industry is citing piracy as a reason for the high prices. Who goes first, the companies lowering prices to more affordable means, or the people showing their willingness to engage legally?

I say companies, personally. But it needs effort from both sides.
a lack of respect and active screwing over, means they can suck me off before i pay the prices they want.

we have lower purcahing power then the US yet get overcharged, so LOL to me supporting price gouging