Australians Pay Sky High Prices For Digital Games

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Ah, back to blaming piracy for everything. Once again, companies simply fail to realize that when you give people the option of buying something legitimately and being ripped/screwed over by DRM or w/e, or pirating something and getting the real deal with no added bullshit for free, it's your own bloody fault when they turn to the pirates. You can't expect people to put up with that nonsense just because 'it's da law' or 'it's for da industry'.

Admit it: if piracy went down and you were suddenly in the 'position' where you could 'afford' to lower the cost of games... You still fucking wouldn't. We all know that, despite your claims that piracy and used games sales are the bane of the gaming industry, you wouldn't lower the prices if such things disappeared overnight, simply because you're happy to continue charging people the prices they are already paying for. Why else would Games for Windows still be selling AAA games that are years old without every reducing the price by a significant margin?

Plus, the whole 'well the minority is ruining it for the majority' excuse really is quite pathetic. What does it matter that people from my country pirate the games more than anyone else, when it costs you just as much to send the game over a server to my country as it does to any other country?

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
So they won't bring down prices because people are already getting it for free? Australia and New Zealand should refuse to extradite people to the US for copyright infringement.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I.Muir said:
So they won't bring down prices because people are already getting it for free? Australia and New Zealand should refuse to extradite people to the US for copyright infringement.
Well yes. This is one of the reasons I was unhappy with our government going after Kim Dotcom.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Go here and look at the prices for games on the next gen consoles: https://www.ebgames.com.au/

Looking at the PS4 specifically, the console itself costs $550
Controller $99
PS Eye $88

This is nothing new for Australia though. I remember paying around $120 for ps3 games, getting $100 ps2 games for my birthday.

Wrath89

Aug 5, 2013
It's not just video games and consoles either. Most electronics cost more, laptops and cameras have $200-400 markups on mid range models. Even MTG cards cost more, WotC banned the selling of sealed cards, packs and boxes so they could continue to geoblock the Australian market and make it impossible to buy from anyone but them. Then there's the stuff we don't even get offered, there are so many games that don't get a PAL release, which is just ridiculous.

It's gotten to the point where I buy physical games in the US, have them sent to my brother in New York and have him send them out twice a year at Christmas and on my birthday because otherwise I can't afford them.