Ubisoft: Triple-A Costs Will "Stifle" Innovation

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ubisoft: Triple-A Costs Will "Stifle" Innovation

Ubisoft Toronto's Jade Raymond believes triple-A development costs will limit videogames if new approaches to limit costs aren't explored.

With some of the talk that's come out of Ubisoft recently it'd be hard to blame gamers for viewing the company as one committed to working inside current industry's business models, many of which emphasize sequels and increasingly expensive triple-A games. After all, it is the publisher that openly declared its intention to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123044-Ubisoft-Says-to-Expect-More-Annual-Sequels>release annual sequels to its prominent properties while also halting investment in anything it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125997-Ubisoft-No-New-Games-Unless-They-Can-Be-Made-Into-Franchises>can't turn into a long running franchise. That being the case, the current state of the industry isn't something everyone inside the company is committed too. Going forward, some see change as a necessity.

Speaking recently on the subject of big-budget titles, Ubisoft Toronto head Jade Raymond expressed concerns that the rising costs of triple-A development could stifle innovation. "I think it's hard to say [there's no innovation] when you see games like Watch Dogs and The Division being announced, which I think are big triple-As and I think are innovating," said Raymond. "I think the big question to me, as the expectations of these big triple-As keep on growing and the consoles become more powerful and teams get bigger, is how do we keep the costs in line?" According to Raymond the industry is growing closer and closer to a future where the sheer investment required to make a triple-A title will severely limit what publishers are willing to make. "That's for sure one of the things that is going to stifle innovation eventually. Anytime you want to make a big triple-A, you're spending, let's say $100 million, you're not going to want to take a chance."

The key to combating this trend is, in her opinion, multifaceted. At the most basic level studios and publishers need to "find more ways to make money" while also lessening the costs of development. "I think we have to invest in tools to make people more efficient, to perhaps make ten times the amount of content that we were making before with the same amount of effort," she said. Even then, she believes that "the industry is changing" and that the future might require embracing other growing trends like free-to-play and micro-transactions to help engage gamers and increase revenues. "You have to be careful how you do it though," she added, warning against the haphazard integration of these features which, in turn, could drive away the same customers the company wants to attract.

Source: <a href=http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a503631/jade-raymond-triple-a-must-find-new-ways-to-make-money-for-innovation.html>Digital Spy

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Holy carp, Ubisoft! You've gone from my "Worst Game Producers Evar" to "One of the Betters" in, like, four months.

Now, take a few cues from CD Projekt, who made The Witcher (2? I think it was the second one) for $8 million.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Well heres an idea, start trimming the fat like celebrity voice overs. Theres plenty of voice actors that would gladly do the work a lot cheaper. Or how about all games do not have to be triple AAA. Why not just make an AA game and if interest warrants a big budget then let it have it.

Also Miss Raymond, you are tasty.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont waste money. Dont pay for celeb voices you dont need. Dont waste money on stuff that isnt important to the core game. Dont add a multiplayer element to a game that doesnt need it (looking at you Tomb Raider). If you want to save money then pay for another companies game engine.

Thing is ive never connected innovation with AAA titles. The real innovation is done by developers with low budgets and create an experience that sells the game better than graphics can. AAA is just games made for the sake of making money, like Cod and MW games. They dont innovate, they remake the previous game every year with a few addition, like every sports game out their. Innovation comes when you have limited budget and have to make the hard choices on what to spend it on. You cant innovate when you have a huge budget because then you end up like Fable 3 - where you change things for the sake of it without fixing the things that needed fixing.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So maybe you can save on money by not seemingly start and stop the sequel most wanted by your fans.
Or maybe just not make those teasers for a game you don't plan on ever finishing.

No, I'm not bitter about BG&E2. not at all.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The biggest problem are the publishers that are holding back the creative freedom of their development teams because they don't want to risk anything. They want to rely on old and proven instead. As long as Ubisoft keeps making new things like Blood Dragon and Watch Dogs, they have nothing to fear. I've seen the gameplay video of The Crew and I was blown away despite my lack of interest in racing games. Keep doing things like that and you'll be fine.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Everyone seems to quote CD Projekt as a good example of cost-effectiveness. Which is especially true when the country they work in has near zilch labour laws. So all AAA companies should move to Poland! Ya, that makes sense.

On a sidenote with much less sarcasm, she is really, really pretty. And apparently she thinks a lot. That's coming from her quotes. She says "I think" often. Sheesh, did I have to explain it?

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
solution: less bloated budgets and more medium sized AAA projects will give publishers more money and us more pleasure. The only downside is that this requires innovation, a part publishers haven't felt good about in many years.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Jade Raymond has now become Mr.Pachter - captain obvious. Quick! someone give her a crystal ball.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Maybe you should start by not having each and every last person on however many various teams you have work on every bloody game.

Would cut down on the ridiculously long and boring credit sequences too.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ciasteczkowyp said:
solution: less bloated budgets and more medium sized AAA projects will give publishers more money and us more pleasure. The only downside is that this requires innovation, a part publishers haven't felt good about in many years.
That and the fact that developers would have to focus on actual design over just playing smoke and mirrors. Good game design is HARD as there are no tricks to getting there. Having to do more with less is something that scares most devs because that would expose most of them as the mediocre hacks that they are.