Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells Over A Million Copies

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells Over A Million Copies

To celebrate, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has received a new update with a comprehensive customization system.

While the "Modern Warfare" franchise is a blog post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126543-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Preorders-Coming-Slower-Than-Usual]. To celebrate, a new update for the game has now gone live, which includes a comprehensive customization system. You'll be able to customize your character with new helmets, tabard patterns, colors and emblems.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, the Steam powered PC-exclusive, has been slowly been building up a user base since its October 2012 launch. Being featured in the recent Steam sale no doubt had a hand in its explosive expansion, with Torn Banner announcing that the game's peak concurrent users during the nine months since its launch was 23,233 (presumably at some point during the sale itself).

Americans are the biggest purchasers of the game, with almost half a million copies sold coming from the USA. The UK, Canada, Germany and Russia followed with around 100,000 copies sold each.

A helpful here [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39489438/Media/promo_poster2.jpg].

This is great news for the indie title that dared to do things differently. Who would have thought a first-person medieval warfare game could be so fun? I picked the game up during the Steam sale and have been having a blast with it. You can buy the game direct from Torn Banner Studios for $24.99 [http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/buy-from-us].

Source: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/archives/1882]

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
It's really nice that is getting popular, this game is tons of fun. We have modern pew pew pew weapons but there's nothing like decapitating someone or smashing his head with a hammer.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
...the hell is this game? I keep seeing it around but never anything on what it's about. And google is hard. <.<

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
LetalisK said:
...the hell is this game? I keep seeing it around but never anything on what it's about. And google is hard. <.<
It's a multiplayer first person slasher. You play as knights and stuff and stab each other with pikes and swords and axes and what have you.

It's actually a lot of good fun, there's ballista and trebuchets and things too, with bunches of objective modes. Well worth grabbibg a copy on sale, or even a 4 pack on sale to share with your friends.

There's also a 1 vs 1 duel mode.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SkarKrow said:
LetalisK said:
It's a multiplayer first person slasher. You play as knights and stuff and stab each other with pikes and swords and axes and what have you.

It's actually a lot of good fun, there's ballista and trebuchets and things too, with bunches of objective modes. Well worth grabbibg a copy on sale, or even a 4 pack on sale to share with your friends.

So basically someone took the Mount and Blade multiplayer and said "Hey, let's make it fun"? XD

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
I've really enjoyed my time with this game. I would have rather they ripped off Warband's melee system, but what they have is fun and intuitive. I'll probably be spending some more time with it now.

LetalisK said:
SkarKrow said:
LetalisK said:

So basically someone took the Mount and Blade multiplayer and said "Hey, let's make it fun"? XD
You shut your mouth! Warband is still the best melee system out there, in depth, realism, and fun, even in multiplayer, and even with all the shirtless Swabians running around spamming two handers, and even with being almost dead and all!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
LetalisK said:
SkarKrow said:
LetalisK said:

Pretty much yeah.

When I tried playing a few months ago it was tricky to get a good full server though, and if people just run around like idiots it's not very fun because you'll just get ganged up on and bludgeoned to death, but it's definately worth a pickup in a sale on Green Man Gaming or Steam or your retailer of choice. As I recall GReen Man was selling a pack of 4 steam keys for around £12...

Sniping Archery is hilarious good fun when you get it down, it's mostly a crapshot whether you can ever kill a man but it's oh so fun to do so.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Pretty much yeah.

When I tried playing a few months ago it was tricky to get a good full server though, and if people just run around like idiots it's not very fun because you'll just get ganged up on and bludgeoned to death, but it's definately worth a pickup in a sale on Green Man Gaming or Steam or your retailer of choice. As I recall GReen Man was selling a pack of 4 steam keys for around £12...

Sniping Archery is hilarious good fun when you get it down, it's mostly a crapshot whether you can ever kill a man but it's oh so fun to do so.
Does it have some sort of VS bots option? There's no way I'd pick it up and just drop into a server without trying to get some practice in first.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
You shut your mouth! Warband is still the best melee system out there, in depth, realism, and fun, even in multiplayer, and even with all the shirtless Swabians running around spamming two handers, and even with being almost dead and all!
Oh please, Warband sucked at everything it did. It just did everything, so it was good. :D

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
LetalisK said:
SkarKrow said:
Pretty much yeah.

Does it have some sort of VS bots option? There's no way I'd pick it up and just drop into a server without trying to get some practice in first.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
Oh please, Warband sucked at everything it did. It just did everything, so it was good. :D
I wouldn't call proving that first and third person melee combat mixed with troop management can be really, really, good "sucking". Only sucking is Swabian for "one of the best games ever made".

You shouldn't argue with me on this. It's painful enough to break free from my fanboy chains long enough to give you this warning. Warband is my absolute favorite game and I wish people ripped it off more. I will defend it to my grave.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
LetalisK said:
SkarKrow said:
Pretty much yeah.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
Ummm, no I don't think it has a bots mode, though it does have a fairly comprehensive tutorial set teaching you how to use each class effectively and what to do in close combat, how to block, dodge, counter, etc.

Edit: I stand corrected, it does have bots by creating a local game and populating it with bots. I've never saught out bots so I was unaware. Apologies.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
warband has the best multi.. you just need to play the mod cRPG. granted the average skill level in cRPG is so high now that it is a bit daunting for new players but it is hands down the best melee game out there... even with all them jerks on horses or using ranged weps!

St3rY

Mar 28, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Ummm, no I don't think it has a bots mode, though it does have a fairly comprehensive tutorial set teaching you how to use each class effectively and what to do in close combat, how to block, dodge, counter, etc.
In fact it does. Selecting "Create Game" in the main client will drop you in a local game after selecting the map, game mode and the amount of bots you want to play with.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I can't help but assume part of this games success owes itself to the multitude of let's plays of this on YouTube. I remember watching one a while ago and I VERY nearly picked it up because it simply looked like a lot of fun. [sub]Sadly it wasn't for me because I was dreadful at it.[/sub]

Saying that though, this game was a refreshing concept for a great deal of people I'll bet, props to them for pulling it off.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I played it. Keep in mind it's great if your into the pvp scene, but if not stay AWAY. I regret buying this game as its only pvp based and I hate pvp.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
LetalisK said:
SkarKrow said:
Actually it does, but it's not a straightforward offline mode. You have to host a game and set the bot count so that it is full.

Bots are pretty retarded though, but it can help you get familiar with maps and weapons (not sure if you can unlock weapons against bots though).

Also as Skar said, it has a decent tutorial for basics... but I recommend you read the wikia too since there are somer intermediate and advanced techniques that really step up your ability to fight around defences.

http://chivalry.wikia.com/wiki/Strategy

The game has a relatively large learning curve, so your best off picking a class that you like and getting comfortable with that and experiment with other classes from time to time.

Archers get good practice in objective mode, since enemies will be preoccupied with objectives giving you opportunities to hone your shots (but people often give out about archers in game), Knights are great for beginners in Free for alls and Team Deathmatches since their high HP lets you get familiar with fight dynamics where Man-At-Arms and Vanguards die too quickly for beginners to fully comprehend why and how things happen.

And just as a quick breakdown.

Knights are the heaviest unit. High HP and high damage but slow.

Vanguards are similar to Knights. They can wield long ranged Melee weapons like Pikes and Claymores, but don't have the tanking ability like a Knight or the Speed of an MAA. They do have, however a sprint attack that can be pretty devastating if you can pull it off on a group of unguarded enemies (though it leaves you vulnerable if you miss).

MMA (Man-At-Arms) is the lightest of Melee units. They rely on speed to stay alive and have an evasive ability which lets you leap out of harms way or around defences. Really low HP though and a good archer is hell for MAA.

Archers are the only Ranged unit available. They use Bows, Crossbows and Throwing spears. They aren't very fast, have low HP and their melee ability is limited (though advanced players can still be dangerous with them). Obviously their strength is ranged attacks. You'll find a lot of games will have archers fighting each other, since the biggest threat to an archer is another archer. A lot of people say that archers break the game, but they are a whiny minority.