The Witcher 3 Shows What It Means To Kill Monsters

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Witcher 3 Shows What It Means To Kill Monsters

Get a taste of The Wild Hunt's mood.

What does it mean to kill monsters? Let The Witcher 3's Geralt of Rivia show you. He's had a long day, and it's about to get longer. But the real question is, what do you do when faced with a choice between two evils? This one's about as cheerful as a sack full of drowned clowns, but it does go a long way to showing you the kind of world Geralt lives in: morals be damned, live by the sword, and try not to add to the cruelty, if you can.

"A good plot should not mimic reality in the sense that you can finish each quest in a million different ways," said CD Projekt RED's John Mamais recently [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126429-Witcher-3-Dev-Storytelling-Not-About-Number-of-Outcomes]. "It's about unexpected twists or the feelings it evokes and not the sheer number of outcomes." Seldom has a trailer come so close to the vision. This will be an open world epic with a tightly crafted storyline, a difficult trick to pull off. But then, CD Projekt RED knows that believable situations are the key to a good story, and situations like the one depicted in the trailer are certainly believable.

No word on a precise launch date, beyond 2014, but when it does launch it will be for PC and next generation consoles.

Source: CD Projekt [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs&feature=player_embedded]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
And then the woman betrays you a few hours later, making you fail a quest. Business as usual.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
So basically they want to be Game of Thrones now. Because real art is brooding and always depressing!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow that was fun, I am really looking forward to this game.

EDIT: I'm also always amused by the amount of hate the witcher gets.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Not guilty by reason of vagina.
As I see it, it was only after they decided to do other stuff to her that he acted, not the hanging itself.
Twenty Ninjas said:
Who's the real monster, Geralt? Oh that's right, you didn't smile while cruelly murdering those men, which indicates that you didn't like it therefore it's totally okay.
Well that was the way of the Samurai in form of Zen Budhissim, kill with an empty mind/conscience and it was ok. So it's not something "cliché" about him specifially.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Imre Csete said:
And then the woman betrays you a few hours later, making you fail a quest. Business as usual.
This. That elven ***** in the forest in Witcher 2 totally ruined my day. As for the other commenters, Grimdark as the Witcher is, The characters were at least more viable and interesting than most other games.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Yup... that wont bight anyone in the ass about two hours down the road. I was honestly expecting the woman to pullout a knife and start cutting the guys flesh off and easting it. But no...

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, this really isn't anything new to the series. Abigail from The Witcher 1. Malena from The Witcher 2. Woman accosted by men. Choose which to side with.

Rarely is the matter as straight-forward as this little Pre-rendered cutscene. In Abigail's case, she was a witch, and even tried to bribe you with sex. Still, there was evidence that the town's people were actually the ones responsible for what she was accused of.

In Malena's case, she was a straight up *****. If you side with her, she leads you into an ambush, and if you investigate her story, you find she actually did what they say she did.

Really, this vid probably isn't the best representation of the game.

1. Prerendered cutscene.
2. Just a scaled down version of stuff we've already seen.

Still excited about the game, though.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, is it cool to hate on The Witcher games nowadays, or what am i missing.
It's a small trailer, that shows how the protagonist rescues a woman from some bad guys.
Sure it's generic, but i don't see any other game justify the heroic action of it's protagonist more, so what's the problem with the Witcher.
Btw. She accused of "Murder of the Wounded", so since the world is in war i would guess she's a nurse or something, that simply failed to some wounded soldier.

Edit: I think this trailer is mostly there to show of Geralt's definition of Monsters. It reminds me of a scene in the books. He's sort of training a young witcher and that young witcher asks him why he has a steel sword, too if he's only supposed to kill monsters. He then goes on to tell the young witcher how he killed his first monsters after becoming a witcher, some bandits that burned down a farmer's house and were raping his daughter.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
grey_space said:
This. That elven ***** in the forest in Witcher 2 totally ruined my day. As for the other commenters, Grimdark as the Witcher is, The characters were at least more viable and interesting than most other games.
Being grimdark and depressing doesn't mean the story is automatically good.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
AxelxGabriel said:
grey_space said:
Being grimdark and depressing doesn't mean the story is automatically good.
Doesn't mean it's automatically hackneyed and bad either. The characters in 2 were in my view better realised than those in 1 and so far I see no reason to doubt that the storytelling in 3 will not be better than 2.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Looking good, can't wait to see if they pull off the non-linear open world aspect without sacrificing on storytelling.

AxelxGabriel said:
So basically they want to be Game of Thrones now. Because real art is brooding and always depressing!
The Witcher games have been around longer than GoT and have always been like this and the books were released at around the same time the ASOIAF books were.

Not really sure what you're trying to do here but you could at least put a bit of effort into it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
AxelxGabriel said:
Have you read the books? The Witcher has always been dark and depressing and was published 3 years before Game of Thrones.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
YouTube comment by TheBladeEdge(not me)
"You have to look at the overall context of war in such times.

1. Murder of wounded - likely enemy solders, invaders in her land.

2. Looting - taking possessions of those you or others have slain. Likely looting the battlefield for something that might be sold for food.

3. Cannibalism - happens occasionally during exhausting wars, sieges etc. People often resort to it if the other choice is death."

Didn't just want to paraphrase it just so it would be my comment :p
And I want to add that even if she was guilty, that wouldn't make what they did any less evil.

The guys from CD Projekt RED sure know how to make awesome trailers (♥◡♥)

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Ickorus said:
Not really sure what you're trying to do here but you could at least put a bit of effort into it.
I'm just sick and tired of this trend for the past decade of how only good stories for TV shows, movies and yes, video games have to be dark, depressing, moody and basically acts like it needs Prozac badly. I think Yahtzee said it best in one of his episodes about how all Fantasy games have to be dark and moody just to even be considered fantasy these days. I forget which episode that was though.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Not guilty by reason of vagina.

But seriously, hanging someone for cannibalism and looting in a no mans land during a massive war, is like hanging someone for surviving.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
grey_space said:
Imre Csete said:
That ambush really required bombs on higher difficulties. Elves are really good at melee, even more so when there's a group of them

AxelxGabriel said:
How adorable

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Fine then, I'll admit I didn't know that Game of Thrones came after. What still strikes me as odd is how apparently stories that make you want to kill yourself are considered "good".