Microsoft Rep: Importing Xbox One an Option

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft Rep: Importing Xbox One an Option

Microsoft's Albert Penello has affirmed the Xbox One to be import capable and region free.

There were some who probably thought Microsoft was making a mistake when it originally announced the Xbox One would only be launching in not being able to play its own game on account of its native Poland being one of the countries excluded. Making matters arguably worse, Microsoft revealed yesterday that it was scaling back the console's launch even further, reducing the 21 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126850-Xbox-One-Will-Launch-In-Just-13-Countries>to a sparse 13.

That being the case, according to Microsoft's Albert Penello, if gamers around the world are truly intent on getting an Xbox One, importing is always an option. "All games are [world wide] signed," he said, replying to a <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76585023#post76585023>NeoGaf forum thread. "The console will work everywhere." He would elaborate that, despite the console's limited launch, users around the world would still have access to its various digital stores. "You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries." Even with this is as an option however, he suggested gamers "[wait] for the official supported launch in affected markets for the best experience."

Penello also offered further clarification about the cause of the diminished launch, assuring people that "launch volumes" weren't an issue. "This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch." So the question now, is what do you all think? If you live in a country being skipped over by the Xbox One's initial launch would you consider importing it? Will you wait? Or do you perhaps see this as a reason to give the PS4 a try?

Source: <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76585023#post76585023>NeoGaf via <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-16-microsoft-imported-xbox-ones-will-work>GamesIndustry International

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Ooh ooh, hire me MS, I have a solution to your problem with languages at launch...

Launch it in English initially, then... update it with language options when the translation work is done?
Damn I need a break now, that thinking lark is hard work.

Do these executives really think their pitiful excuses are really working with anyone?
The real reason is you dont want to make too many units initially until you have a chance to work out how well the product is received then adjust your supply to meet the demand, no one wants a repeat of the Atari ET cartridge fiasco... sooo many carts and no buyers.
The reason the number of countries is limited is that the market graphs indicate those are the most lucrative countries, so supply your most lucrative markets first and then trickle feed the 'lesser' markets.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Buh?

I'm just... What?

After ALL that fucking time you spent blathering about how awesome the Kinect was going to be, and how wonderful voice recognition and whatnot was going to be, YOU DIDN'T THINK ABOUT IMPLEMENTING MULTIPLE LANGUAGES AHEAD OF TIME?

And now you claim that people can just import an Xbone, even though you think that not being able recognize any language other than a select few is reason enough to cut off local supplies anyway?

Wow. This voice support thing will need to be practically futuristic to excuse this nonsense... Oh wait, it still wouldn't:
ASnogarD said:
Ooh ooh, hire me MS, I have a solution to your problem with languages at launch...

Launch it in English initially, then... update it with language options when the translation work is done?

Do these executives really think their pitiful excuses are really working with anyone?
The real reason is you dont want to make too many units initially until you have a chance to work out how well the product is received then adjust your supply to meet the demand, no one wants a repeat of the Atari ET cartridge fiasco... sooo many carts and no buyers.
The reason the number of countries is limited is that the market graphs indicate those are the most lucrative countries, so supply your most lucrative markets first and then trickle feed the 'lesser' markets.
Gotta love stealing other people's ideas...

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Releasing it before you've managed to do all the translation work, that inspires confidence... hang on wait, you're releasing it in France, Germany and Italy but not Switzerland, you do know what languages they speak in Switzerland, i'll give you a clue, its not Swiss.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Well at least they didn't pull a Sony and actively try and stop people from importing the thing.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
But that isn't a "good" option, is it microsoft?

Of course, importing is going to cost extra money on top of the console. Then there's the extra waiting.

Seriously, if there has to be a running theme with MS's PR at the moment, it's telling people that their cock ups won't cause any trouble for the consumer when they blatantly will.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You know Microsoft, a lot of birthdays can happen in the time it takes you to get your language translation team in action. Birthdays where the parents buy the available console. That could matter down the line.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
Doclector said:

Of course, importing is going to cost extra money on top of the console. Then there's the extra waiting.

Seriously, if there has to be a running theme with MS's PR at the moment, it's telling people that their cock ups won't cause any trouble for the consumer when they blatantly will.
No,don't even compare this to dom matricks stupid pr bull.This is providing a solution to those who want the product versus if donny was still at ms he would've told them to wait or move to one of the 13 country's.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I feel sorry for anybody who takes such a great effort as to import a product from a company that cares so little about them. What are you going to do when the thing breaks down due to faulty microsoft bull crap if you import it?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ASnogarD said:

Judging by the translation work they have done in the past I would much rather have one with only English. Also I would much rather stick with my PC, PS3 and Wii U than having an Xbox One so please, go on with your shoddy translation work.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Vivid Kazumi said:
Doclector said:

No,don't even compare this to dom matricks stupid pr bull.This is providing a solution to those who want the product versus if donny was still at ms he would've told them to wait or move to one of the 13 country's.
Well obviously, you'd have to actively try to be worse than Mattrick, but it's still asking your customers to pay more because you ballsed up.

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
I know I would love to pay an extra delivery cost on top of a $100 Kinect I don't want. Sounds lovely Microsoft.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well this is a good solution given that they are only releasing in 13 countries, but one thing I'm confused on is why they didn't think to program other languages onto the console. I mean that shouldn't be any problems for Microsoft since they you know, have updates with language packs in them. >.>

Redlin5 said:
You know Microsoft, a lot of birthdays can happen in the time it takes you to get your language translation team in action. Birthdays where the parents buy the available console. That could matter down the line.
By the time they get their translation team working I'd probably be done translating Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD again. XD
(love how I just insulted my translating speed)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yes, let's spend more money importing the console nobody wants, oh wait, the shop in my town has Playstations, all the Playstations! They're cheaper too, what a difficult choice this is.

Noswad said:
you do know what languages they speak in Switzerland, i'll give you a clue, its not Swiss.
But, Swiss French is not the same as French French, as I once found out to my cost. Speaking French in Martigny can end with people staring at you like you're an alien when all you asked was what time the lifts were running, which in Les Gets two days before everyone understood. Trying to buy food is even worse, ask for a snail in Switzerland and you get a delicious pastry, ask for a snail in France and, well, you know, France.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Except half the features are internet based and that part most certainly will be region locked, any game using your cloud shit will thus most likely be useless to anyone outside predefined regions.
That is the main reason only 13 countries get the damn thing, everyone else would plainly get fucked.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Noswad said:
Releasing it before you've managed to do all the translation work, that inspires confidence... hang on wait, you're releasing it in France, Germany and Italy but not Switzerland, you do know what languages they speak in Switzerland, i'll give you a clue, its not Swiss.
Romansh?

OT: Well, you can import, but why would you? It costs extra money, and you'd have to import all the games as well. It's a solution, but it's a pretty poor one for a problem that Microsoft created in the first place.