Toon Link Returns In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U And 3DS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Toon Link Returns In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U And 3DS

Toon Link's reveal comes right in-between the digital and retail release of Wind Waker HD for Wii U.

Just in time for the retail release of Wind Waker HD for the Wii U, Nintendo has confirmed that Toon Link will be returning in the latest iteration of its mascot fighter: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. The reveal is accompanied by a slew of screenshots featuring Toon Link in both the Wii U and the 3DS versions of the game. Toon Link was first introduced to the Smash Bros. series in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii, and we previously saw a stage in the 3DS version of the new game that featured Toon Link and his train from Spirit Tracks.

Check him out in the gallery below:

[gallery=1798]

While seeing the cell-shaded version of Link enter the brawl is sure to put a smile on the faces of many Zelda fans, I can't help but feel a little puzzled. Masahiro Sakurai previously stated that he wanted to "trim the fat" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125115-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster] from the Smash Bros. roster by removing characters that aren't very unique. In Smash Bros. Brawl, Toon Link had pretty much the exact same moveset as regular Link, so this seems to be a direct contradiction to his statement.

Nonetheless, Toon Link's reveal among the release of Wind Waker HD seems to confirm something of a trend. The Animal Crossing Villager was revealed just after Animal Crossing: New Leaf came out in the US, Olimar was confirmed in the lead up to Pikmin 3's release, and Luigi was revealed right around the time New Super Luigi U came out. With Pokemon X and Y right around the corner, you Pokemon Trainer fans might want to keep an eye on the official Smash Bros. website [http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/]...

Source: Super Smash Bros. [http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/characters/toon_link.html]

Dec 14, 2009
Fffffffffffffffffffffuck yer!

Toon Link was always more fun to play than non-chibi Link.

Wook at his wittle face, he's so happy to beat the crap out of people, yes he is!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss

Always liked playing the little guys in SSB. Toon Link and Kirby are my go to guys.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
While seeing the cell-shaded version of Link enter the brawl is sure to put a smile on the faces of many Zelda fans, I can't help but feel a little puzzled. Masahiro Sakurai previously stated that he wanted to "trim the fat" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125115-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster] from the Smash Bros. roster by removing characters that aren't very unique. In Smash Bros. Brawl, Toon Link had pretty much the exact same moveset as regular Link, so this seems to be a direct contradiction to his statement.
Is it possible that either they'll be changing up his moveset so that he's not a dupe of regular growed-up Link, or that when Sakurai didn't necessarily mean that all none-unique characters would be chopped?

I want this game to be good on 3DS so I can pick it up.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I think they needed to get rid of all of the 'clone' characters. The bane of fighting games IMO.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
And everyone is surprised, what with link to the past 2 and wind waker hd right around the corner and all.

Something unexpected would be nice. Mega evolution mewtwo or something.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Wow, that's a surprise: a lot of people were guessing he'd be cut, especially since Toon Link is an NPC in one of the new stages.

What will be interesting to see going forward is whether or not Toon Link will once again prove superior to his adult counterpart. Hell, in Brawl he was the ONLY decent Zelda character - the other three have been busy occupying the bottom 3 spots of the tier lists for as long as I can remember.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
How cute.
*pats Links head*
Welp...
*Goes back to replaying NOLF 2 and not caring about any new releases*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the one hand... Yaaaaaay! Cartoon Link is the best Link!

One the other... His physical proportions in these screen shots seem a bit too realistic, making his big head look slightly creepy.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
GOD DAMN IT

I hate that chibi little bastard. Hate hate hate hate him. One Link is enough, and this little ************ always pisses me off, because they make him more powerful than the actual Link. Smash Bros. always winds up unbalanced in favor of the cutesy little characters like Toon Link or Mr. Game and Watch, and I hate it.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I've always thought the more characters the better. Get as many unique characters in the game as possible, then throw in some re-skins with slight tweaks.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Is Peach doing Toon Links hair in that one shot? XD

Toon Link was always fun to play as, and fun to play against. He's just so much more expressive than most of the characters.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...I'm going to be the minority I'm sure. But: Boooooo.

Never liked Pichu or Toon Link.

Luigi distinguishes himself JUST enough and Falco skirts the line. But there's so many colourful characters they could add and they choose 'Toon Link'.

BooooooOOooOoooo.

Trimming the fat with character roster and...they fill up on this. I am disappoint.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I suppose I can understand the choice. I've never been a huge fan of the "clone" characters (or of Wind Waker for that matter), but Toon Link is a bit more relevant these days than say, Young Link.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Hooray! Toon Link was always one of my favorite characters. I hope they return to the wraith color scheme, with the black skin and red eyes... that would be cool. :D

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
well I hope they don't keep this announcement pattern up because unless they have a New Mr game and watch game planned out I won't be getting my best character back. I also hope that they make toon link more, different, I mean toon link has a a conducting wand that can control the wind and weather that could make for some good moves.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'm rather puzzled that Toon Link made the cut after the "trim the fat" statement. Maybe he's getting new moves and powers to separate him from his adult counterpart. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

So... when the hell are we getting announcements for new characters? Not to be rude but its been a couple months since E3 and the news on SSB for 3DS and WiiU has been slower than a turtle stuck in molasses. I know its coming out in 2014 but you gotta keep the buzz alive and well until launch day. Plus the fact that no demo has been mentioned for the public to play with is rather disheartening.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well my friend is gonna be happy that's for sure. Now for then to announce Sonic being in the game after Lost World comes out, and his new move set would include Wisp powers.
If this is not the case the Sakuari, I will be major disappoint in you. >.<