Beware the Call of Duty 5 Phishing Scam

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Beware the Call of Duty 5 Phishing Scam

Infinity Ward community manager, Robert Bowling, warns of a potentially dangerous email scam [http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2009/01/12/warning-beware-fake-cod5-beta-invites/] making the rounds, enticing recipients with a non-existent Call of Duty beta.

Robert Bowling, better known as reports [http://www.infinityward.com/] to the contrary. Secrets, these be.

Of course, that never stops the internet as a widespread email scam has been sent around the tubes, inviting one and all to a multiplayer beta for Call of Duty: Modern Combat 2. The reason as to why this particular scam is so believable is that the content of the email is exactly the same as the one Infinity Ward sent out themselves in 2007 for the Call of Duty 4 beta. It also doesn't hurt that the creator of the phishing scam has gone the extra mile and hoaxed its origin, as the emails appear to come from [email protected].

While the emails themselves make no overt threats to ones security, if you find such a message in your inbox, Bowling advises [http://www.fourzerotwo.com/2009/01/11/beware-of-fake-cod5-beta-invites/] that you "just delete it. Don't open it, reply, or click any links - it's fake and could contain a virus or be an attempt to phish personal information."

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Ah scammers, is there anything you won't do?

It's just annoying how people always try to hack you out of your security; there should be a 10th level of Hell especially for these people.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Ooh. I hate phishers. A lot.
CoverYourHead said:

It's just annoying how people always try to hack you out of your security; there should be a 10th level of Hell especially for these people.
What about an 11th?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
[Gavo said:
]Ooh. I hate phishers. A lot.
CoverYourHead said:

What about an 11th?
Well, most variations of hell go to 10, and the Dante's inferno one goes to 9, but very very few actually go up ALL the way to 11.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
My question is, if there was a Modern Warfare 2 beta, wouldn't Infinity Ward, or Activision for that matter, being publicising the hell out of it?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Heh, that is incredibly believable. Luckily though Hotmail and Exetel block phishing emails and check most before you receive them so I am somewhat safe.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Hankage said:
People are still stupid enough to use AOL. People like that are easily fooled.
Silly me, forgetting to factor stupidity into the equation...

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Dommyboy said:
Heh, that is incredibly believable. Luckily though Hotmail and Exetel block phishing emails and check most before you receive them so I am somewhat safe.
I initially read this as Exteel and was trying to figure out exactly how or why NCsoft's mech game filtered your e-mail.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
nimrandir said:
Dommyboy said:
I initially read this as Exteel and was trying to figure out exactly how or why NCsoft's mech game filtered your e-mail.
Ahahaha. Nah 'Exetel' is my ISP.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
CoverYourHead said:

Such people already have a level set aside for them, where they share company with child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
nimrandir said:
Dommyboy said:
I'm also guilty.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
fish food carl said:
orannis62 said:
Wait, did I read that right? There might not even be a MW2?
They just don't want to confirm things just yet, I think. I'm still hopeful that there will be a MW2.
The question is, how would you continue it from where it left off? You could use new characters et cetera, but I wonder if Infinity Ward feel they would be treading old ground with a MW2.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I don't really see why you people hate scammers so much. Yeah they're despicable and screw up people's lives for personal gain, but they could do a lot worse in that field. A lot worse. Robbery, murder, kidnapping... Besides, internet scammers atleast are just taking advantage of people who are using technology for their own benefit, and if you are using technology you (should) know the risks and should use it responsibly. And it's still atleast partially your fault if you are scammed. If someone breaks into your house, there's nothing you can do. I know, if I get scammed I probably won't be talking so logically about them.

EDIT: Erased because I don't really mean it.Feel free to ignore just about the last half of the above paragraph as well.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Erased for the sake of what he says above.
No, no they don't. They're taking advantage of people who don't know any better. Do you think life insurance scams on old people who might not be so clear-headed are worthy of praise? If so, then you're kind of a sick person.

But it's not much different. The kids who don't understand this are going to get screwed just for not having the knowledge to not check it out, or for being too excited about getting a chance at a new game, or whatnot. It's not even like they're offering an illegal version where you could say, they got screwed but they were trying to do something against the law themselves so it's not so bad. The scammers are claiming they have a chance at a beta version of it.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
coldfrog said:
ElephantGuts said:
But I do have to give this (these) guy(s) props for creating a pretty good scheme. They atleast deserve to make some money off a few retarded annoying little kids for their effort.
No, no they don't. They're taking advantage of people who don't know any better. Do you think life insurance scams on old people who might not be so clear-headed are worthy of praise?
No, I don't, because old people arent "so clear-headed" because of their age, not because they're not annoying little kids who shouldn't be signing up for betas via emails that they don't know are legit.

Actually I don't know why I said what I did in my first post, I don't really agree with much of it. I was just thinking how people are saying how there should be an 11th level of hell for scammers, but they're not that bad considering they could buy a gun and go break into someone's house.

I knew what I said was going to create a lot of conflict. Maybe I should delete it.