Microsoft's Penello: Xbox One Is Built For The Future

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft's Penello: Xbox One Is Built For The Future

Welcome to the Cloud. You know what the Cloud is, right?

There's just about a month to go before we finally see the new consoles compete head to head, and Microsoft doesn't want you to forget that its Xbox One is built for the future. To that end, Albert Penello has one or two things to tell you about the Cloud, Kinect and other future-type things. Klaatu barada nikto, and enjoy the show.

Any Xbox One in all the world is yours! Though your neighbor may object if you remove his machine in the dead of night; bonus points if you do it while wearing a black mask and carrying a bag marked 'swag'. Ever wondered how Skype fits in to your Xbox One world, or what the revamped Kinect can offer you? Wonder no more. But if you were wondering how the rep systems and achievements work, you may want to look at here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6UwRitOZU].

Roll on November 22nd [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127449-Xbox-One-Out-November-22nd], when all this will be out in the wild and we see how it really works.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/16/xbox-one-new-video-explains-why-its-build-for-the-future-watch-here/]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
It may be "built for the future", but the question is if the tech necessary for it to work is able to do so in sparsely-populated areas or less favorable conditions. Considering the economic situation, I don't think the future will favor devices that are reliant on technologies that require connectivity, but instead how self-reliant a device is on itself.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
It may be "built for the future", but the question is if the tech necessary for it to work is able to do so in sparsely-populated areas or less favorable conditions. Considering the economic situation, I don't think the future will favor devices that are reliant on technologies that require connectivity, but instead how self-reliant a device is on itself.
The future seems to be a fully connected society more so than it is now, those who can afford it will buy it and those that cannot will be left behind

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sure. A machine with a 500Gb HDD that's still using DDR3 RAM is totally built for the future. You know what this means, right? It means that if a lot of people buy the Xbone, it will be the device that will hold back the entire fuckin' industry. So do the world a favor and don't buy it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Anyone else automatically prefixing every mention of "Future" with "Dystopian"?

Because that sure as hell seems exactly what XBox One was build for. Privacy? Hah! Outdated ideals!

Your very identity is now offloaded to remote servers. A camera constantly watching and tracking your actions and those of anyone with you.

And yeah, I know. Paranoia. Not something to let your actions be fully guided by, but neither something to ignore. Especially since more and more often governments and companies don't seem to take people's privacy as serious as they should.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Hagi said:
Anyone else automatically prefixing every mention of "Future" with "Dystopian"?
Now that you mention it...

If they wanted it to be future-proof they should have at least stuck in a bigger hard-drive, or made the it able to be upgraded like the PS4.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
This whole take your content with you. It still has to be downloaded right? How often do you go to someone else's house and wait for 14+ gigs to download before you START playing? And next gen titles could be 50 gigs.

Forget taking your content with you, in many places bandwidth caps will straight up prevent you from making digital purchases or games.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Microsoft should realise that early adoption makes future success so much easier. The PS3 has had to muscle it's way up to Microsoft's podium for the past few years because early adoption was pretty bad in comparison to the 360 (in the west at least).

Look at the WiiU, early adoption was flat out bad, and people don't tend to give second chances.

Making a console for the future is a bad choice in my opinion, making a console for the present but with the future in mind would have been a better step (like the PS4 for example).

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Hahaha... HAHAhahaha... HAHAHAHA! *Cough, splutter*

Ahem... sorry. I just thought I read that Microsoft believe their new console is 'built for the future.' Wait, they really do?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Really though, immature cackling aside, I can purchase PC parts for the same price the Xbone will cost me and have a vastly superior gaming machine. And looking at the Xbox exclusives, the games really don't sway me either. I am definitely a PC gamer through and through, yet at least Sony's exclusives look good enough that if I had the income, I would buy a PS4.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Aaaaaand I'm still not getting one. They can throw all the buzzwords they want around trying to mask the various issues that come with these new features (e.g. the downloads times that come with taking your profile anywhere, hardware that could well be out of date and insufficient within a year or two) but until Microsoft present some kind of compelling argument as to why the Xbox One is either better than competitors and/or is unique and different from them somehow I will remain uninterested.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I am starting to wonder if Microsoft Suit #7 spewing forth more buzzwords and hype is really still news. Especially when it seems to be the same crap repeating with slightly different wording.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
My respect for a company goes down incrementally every time I hear them use the word "future" in a description of their product. It's an empty ambiguous buzzword they resort to when they can't concretely explain why a new feature they're pushing is inherently good. It's even weirder however when it's used to describe features that have existed for years.

They talk about the "cloud" (their new buzzword) like it's some new innovation and not essentially just using the internet. Cloud computing is a concept that goes back to ARPANET in the 60s. Even if we take "cloud" to mean the increased functionality and accessibility to home users Microsoft has been giving it's online features, we're still talking about a trend that began in the mid 2000s with things like the Amazon Web Service.

The Kinect was something they already unsuccessfully tried to popularize with their last console to try and ride the coattails of the Wii. I'm sure this ones much improved, but incremental improvements to past designs doesn't make my think "future".

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
My loathing for Microsoft has reached such a new peak that I couldn't even stand to watch either of those linked videos. I heard the shill line 'What are you most excited for about the Xbox?', before answering 'going back to Playstation' and closing the tab.

It probably won't, but I sincerely hope their product crashes into flames. Any attempt to re-write the concept of ownership like they have, time and time again, needs to be aggressively attacked and destroyed with extreme prejudice.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
And we've gone full circle back to 'THE CLOUD IS THE FUTURE' bullshit.

Because hey, it didn't work the first time, maybe it will the second.

*backs away slowly*