Xbox One Will Not Have Backwards Compatibility Via Cloud Streaming

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Will Not Have Backwards Compatibility Via Cloud Streaming

Microsoft has experimented with the possibility of playing Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One via cloud streaming, but it will not roll out this solution because it is too "problematic."

Hold on to your current-gen console if you still want to play any Xbox 360 games. As a solution to the Xbox One's lack of backwards compatibility, Microsoft suggested it could stream Xbox 360 games to the Xbox One via cloud streaming. In a meeting this week, Microsoft's product planning director Albert Penello has decided not to move forward with this option because it is "problematic" for consumers. Cloud streaming was too likely to fail for Microsoft to consider using it.

"It's really cool and really problematic, all at the same time, insofar as it's really super cool if you happen to have the world's most awesome internet connection," Penello told Polygon. "It works way better than you'd expect it to. So, managing quality of service, the tolerance people will have for it being crappy. Can you imagine, in this day and age, with the bad information around, and we can't control the quality of that experience and make sure it's good, or have to tell people they can't do it?"

Network troubles are too common for Microsoft to go through with using the cloud for Xbox One users to play Xbox 360 games. Microsoft's experiment running Halo 4 on a Windows PC and a Windows Phone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128215-Microsoft-Is-Playing-Halo-4-On-Windows-Phones] via cloud streaming demonstrated cloud streaming technology was one solution for offering backwards compatibility. In an uncontrolled environment, Microsoft cannot guarantee that level of success for consumers.

"This is one of the things where the network just has to get better before we can do it. When that happens, you're going to have a really interesting conversation around that, can I actually run Xbox One games that way as well."

Sony plans to use its Gaikai service to stream older PlayStation games to the PS4. Penello is interested to see how Sony deals with similar network problems making cloud streaming problematic.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5079554/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-problematic]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This isn't going to go down well. Makes you wonder about the cloud's ability to help with other services the Xbone requires, if people's net connections mean it can't help with streaming older 360 games.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The hell? If anything Microsoft should be the one pushing this and Sony backing down. I mean, it does make sense that it will depend on the user's internet, even on the PS4 but the XBONE is already very demanding with its online features, this one would be an obvious addition for the system.

With Onlive we saw that the world still wasnt ready for streaming (I have very good connection and while the games are playable there is some noticeable delay, even worse in games that demand precise controls), in a few years it can work but still in more specific regions, for a world wide service there is still a lot to wait for.

Still, its good that someone is thinking of a long term solution (Gaikai, maybe), I prefer having them tracking my purchases now (to then be able to validate them in future generations when everything is more stable) then having to buy a game re-release again later on.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
So Microsoft come out with always online and blah blah blah but then backwards compatibility is a no go due to Internet problems. Man, I love Microsoft!

Guess they learned from there mistakes at E3 though, which is a good sign. At first I was all fanboying around Sony for stomping on Microsoft but I realized that competition is better than a monopoly. I don't want Sony to repeat the PS2 to PS3 fuck up of getting way to confident that they think they are untouchable, which is what I think Microsoft have done this time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
....It's not really "backwards compatibility" for the Xbone if the game is streamed.

Because it's not the local Xbone that's processing the game but a remote server equipped with the necessary hardware or emulation to stream the results to the local Xbone.

It's a bit like calling a car "self-washing" because you can drive it through a car wash.
(a snooty car wash that only services a particular model of car, but still)

CriticalMiss said:
So the infinite power of the cloud is less infinite than when the Xbone was announced.
And more evidence to my theory that the Cloud was a big ol Trojan Horse bearing Always-Online DRM.

It takes far more more processing resources and bandwidth for The Cloud to noticeably improve the average user's experience, than it takes to hold a small, but crucial chunk of a game's coding hostage on The Cloud.

Sure, one can argue that The Cloud could theoretically do both at the same time, but even in that situation the tradeoffs for the customer far exceed the benefits.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Teoes said:
This isn't going to go down well. Makes you wonder about the cloud's ability to help with other services the Xbone requires, if people's net connections mean it can't help with streaming older 360 games.
I think it'll be the exact opposite. With the original Xbox One announcement they had the always-on requirements, their reasoning being "everyone has an internet connection these day." After that entire hullabaloo they've learned their lesson to not promise things that rely on factors they have no control over.

MinionJoe said:
That's a first... Microsoft admitting that the Cloud can't deliver a specific service.
CriticalMiss said:
So the infinite power of the cloud is less infinite than when the Xbone was announced.
The Azure cloud technically can do it, but what they're saying is that introducing this service would lead to so much backlash from people that want/try to use it, but can't because of their poor internet connections. When they can't connect to the cloud because of their crappy connection who do you think they'll blame? It won't be their ISP, it'll be Microsoft that takes the fall, even if it isn't their fault. Why? Because people are stupid.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Teoes said:
I think it'll be the exact opposite. With the original Xbox One announcement they had the always-on requirements, their reasoning being "everyone has an internet connection these day." After that entire hullabaloo they've learned their lesson to not promise things that rely on factors they have no control over.

MinionJoe said:
That's a first... Microsoft admitting that the Cloud can't deliver a specific service.
CriticalMiss said:
The Azure cloud technically can do it, but what they're saying is that introducing this service would lead to so much backlash from people that want/try to use it, but can't because of their poor internet connections. When they can't connect to the cloud because of their crappy connection who do you think they'll blame? It won't be their ISP, it'll be Microsoft that takes the fall, even if it isn't their fault. Why? Because people are stupid.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Teoes said:

MinionJoe said:
CriticalMiss said:

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
So your argument is:

"MS is introducing innovations that the world is simply not ready for. It's not MS' fault the rest of the world doesn't have the resources and the infrastructure in place to keep up?"

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Told ya so.

I'm certain Sony will have the exact same problems. Only particular games will work well using cloud streaming, and the majority will run into issues that cannot be resolved, ever. Some people might have a high tolerance for the issues, but enough wont so it won't be able to catch on.

Cloud streaming is a nice idea only for people interested in cutting out more consumer rights. If they can't get it fully functional they can't lease games in a way they can revoke at a moments notice.

Fortunately the Speed of Light is on my side. Good luck trying to beat it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
tdylan said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
So your argument is:

"MS is introducing innovations that the world is simply not ready for. It's not MS' fault the rest of the world doesn't have the resources and the infrastructure in place to keep up?"
Um, no.

The argument was "Microsoft got screwed the last time they said 'If you don't have a good internet connection don't play our games or buy our stuff.'" They now are choosing to throw money at development of things that everyone can do, because their consumers loud and blatantly told them to. Why develop something that half your consumer base doesn't want or can't use when you can make twice as much money on things they can and do?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's really not viable to have backwards compatibility, at least not for the PS3 and 360. They run on a completely different architecture, and would either have to be emulated, or have the PS3/360 hardware built into the console to run it natively. Emulation is out the window, because not even top-tier gaming PCs come close to having the power to emulate the PS3 and 360 hardware yet. And having the actual hardware is also out the window, because it'd make the console a lot more expensive. Though I would probably buy a backwards compatible version over the regular one if one were to exist, so I don't have to have my PS3 lying around.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
That's the first sensible thing I've heard from the Xbone camp. Chapeau, Microsoft.
Still getting neitherbone nor four until one of them has a decent library and the kinks have been worked out, though.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Denamic said:
Emulation is out the window, because not even top-tier gaming PCs come close to having the power to emulate the PS3 and 360 hardware yet.
I find this quite hard to believe. I think it's because these consoles aren't abandonware yet, so you can't make an emulator without committing legitimate copyright infringement.

My cell phone has more RAM than the Xbox 360. I think a 32 GB RAM machine running SLI Nvidia Titians and a top of the line 8 core processor could handle a 360 emulator handily. After all, it's only got a tri-core processor. The PS3 is a different beast solely due to it's processor, 8 cores but with one disabled. I'm not exactly certain how it would work, but I can imagine it'd be a bit difficult.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What about original Xbox games? There are a ton of games that I really loved on the original Xbox but last I heard XBL ditched the classics section some time ago (except Halo and Fable...and possibly PGR). When it comes to Sony though, you can download games as far back as the PSX so...there's another point in Sony's favor...only not really since the last games I played on a PSP were Final Fantasy's 7 through 9.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
Denamic said:
Emulation is out the window, because not even top-tier gaming PCs come close to having the power to emulate the PS3 and 360 hardware yet.
I find this quite hard to believe. I think it's because these consoles aren't abandonware yet, so you can't make an emulator without committing legitimate copyright infringement.

My cell phone has more RAM than the Xbox 360. I think a 32 GB RAM machine running SLI Nvidia Titians and a top of the line 8 core processor could handle a 360 emulator handily. After all, it's only got a tri-core processor. The PS3 is a different beast solely due to it's processor, 8 cores but with one disabled. I'm not exactly certain how it would work, but I can imagine it'd be a bit difficult.
Let's put it like this. To emulate the 299MHz PS2 CPU, you need at least a 3GHz CPU or get constant slowdowns. Every action the CPU you're emulating takes, you need several on the CPU you're emulating on. The PS3 and 360 both has 3.2 GHz processors, and the PS3 uses cell architecture at that. Even if you magically managed to emulate them with only 4 actions per action, which is impossible, you'd still need a 12GHz CPU. This is why we don't have PS3 or 360 emulators. It's not that they can't be made; we just don't have nearly enough power to run them.