Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

The Xbox One had just as a successful launch as the PlayStation 4.

When Microsoft announced that it would PlayStation 4 launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129894-Meeting-Xbox-One-Demand-Will-Be-a-Struggle-Says-Microsoft]. It's worth noting that the Xbox figure is for the 13 worldwide markets it launched in, while the PlayStation figure is specifically for North America.

The team confirmed the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, besting the Xbox 360 by a considerable margin. "We are working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the unprecedented demand from our customers," said Microsoft in an official statement.

Microsoft has also used the "online" nature of the box to collect some interesting launch-day statistics. In the last 24 hours:

Over 60 million zombies have been killed in "Dead Rising 3"
Over 3.6 million miles driven in "Forza Motorsport 5"
Over 7.1 million combos in "Killer Instinct"
Over 8.5 million enemies defeated in "Ryse: Son of Rome"

"We are humbled and grateful for the excitement of Xbox fans around the world," said Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing and Strategy, Xbox. "Seeing thousands of excited fans lined up to get their Xbox One and their love for gaming was truly a special moment for everyone on the Xbox team. We are working hard to create more Xbox One consoles and look forward to fulfilling holiday gift wishes this season."

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-xbox-one-momentum-announcement]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Please be a falsified figure. Please be PR speak. Please be blatant lies. Please be anything other than the truth. After all the horrible, stupid, anti-consumer stuff MS has said and done, how could they have day-one sales like this?!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
Please be a falsified figure. Please be PR speak. Please be blatant lies. Please be anything other than the truth. After all the horrible, stupid, anti-consumer stuff MS has said and done, how could they have day-one sales like this?!
Because not everyone reads gaming sites.

In fact... as unfortunate as it is, we're the minority.

Nov 28, 2007
Good for Microsoft. I can't say whether this means the Xbox One is as good as the PS4, because I haven't played either. But after seeing Microsoft get blasted for farting at the wrong time (or the gamer equivalent of such), it's actually not that upsetting to see them pull it off.

Now, to prepare for the onslaught of posters complaining about "uninformed masses", "sheeple", and so on.

Edited: I'm not saying that people are wrong for feeling upset, or that my way is the only right way to feel. I just thought I'd provide a bit of positivity to what I suspect will be a very negative response towards Microsoft's success.

chippa6

Feb 2, 2010
my questions is

since the PS4 is only in North America.
Is this Xbox figure in North America alone or in all the countries it launched in?

Nov 28, 2007
chippa6 said:
my questions is

Is this Xbox figure in North America alone or in all the countries it launched in?
Good catch! No, seriously, good catch. I looked it up, and it appears that is 1 million worldwide, which means the Xbox One, despite launching in several more countries, only managed to tie the North American launch for the PS4. I think that makes the PS4 the more successful of the two by a fair margin, personally.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
chippa6 said:
my questions is

It says in the article that it's across all 13 countries it was sold in. That's about 76,924 units per country.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
chippa6 said:
my questions is

It's World Wide (Which is N. America, like Half of Europe, Australia and New Zealand). My guess is the XBox One sold 600,000 in USA, 300,000 in the European Countries, and then 100,000 from Australia+New Zealand.

Still, considering only Two consoles have done 1 Million in the First day (PS4 and XBone), you can't deny that they did do something good. Of course, the XBone is a loser compared to the PS4, but it still did the same number, even if it had to do it in more places.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
It disappoints me that so many people are either oblivious to Microsoft's ass hattery, or are very quick to forgive and forget when billion dollar companies betray consumer trust.

Well, at the very least my brother in law has been talked out of getting one any time soon, so score one for good sense.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Whyyy?

But really, I am not surprised. I knew it would do okay for itself to begin with. My question is, can it sustain popularity with its game line-up and console functionality? I don't see it selling well for any length of time like the 360 managed to do, but I do see people buying Playstation4s for several years at least.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
PS4 out in UK/EU on 29th so we'll see how it goes there, as I think it'll be mind blowing as in the retail store that i might work in has more ps4 pre-orders than xbones, if thats a patterned then god knows how much cash sony is about to make?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
The Xbox One had just as a successful launch as the PlayStation 4.
Not necessarily. The PS4 had the biggest console launch in US history and sold 1 million in 2 countries. The Xbox One sold as many in 13 countries. I'd have to say that the PS4's launches in other countries will probably be higher than the Xbox One considering the PS brand usually beats out the Xbox brand in pretty much every region that's not in North America.

The PS4 having more consoles sold in North America overall is interesting. The US sided heavily with the 360 last gen. This flip means that the bad marketing did have a decent effect on MS. They failed to convey their 180s to the gamers who don't follow gaming news.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Relax. For one the Xbox One reversed all of the major points against it. Secondly, this is the PS4s North American sales vs the Xbox One's sales in 13 countries.

The Xbox one's NA sales number is probably going to be pretty low in comparison.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
And so, starts the Console Wars of our time. Prepare yourselves, for Winter is here.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Relax. For one the Xbox One reversed all of the major points against it. Secondly, this is the PS4s North American sales vs the Xbox One's sales in 13 countries.

The Xbox one's NA sales number is probably going to be pretty low in comparison.
Here's the thing with reversing all of the negatives it had with it. If they could have released the system like that to begin with, none of it was "required" which means they could just as easily bring it back after the Xbox One has been sold to public. I can see it now, they change things gradually until it's too late, you're already invested in the system. You have games for it, you have saves on it. I can easily see them go right back to what they originally said what the Xbox One was "required" to do.

Which is why when the time comes, I'm getting a PS4.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I'm disappointed. I wanted to see this thing crash and burn.
They had to make SOME business. Not everyone reads the news, sites, blogs, etc.

Now, we get to see what a million people THINK of the machine, a true test of its mettle.