Man Throws Away $7.2 Million Bitcoin Stash, Now Buried In Landfill

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Man Throws Away $7.2 Million Bitcoin Stash, Now Buried In Landfill

It's four foot down under a mountain of crap. He's never seeing that hard drive again.

Have you ever had that moment when you're about to do something, and there's something in the back of your mind screaming "no! NO! DON'T!' Welshman James Howells had a moment just like that back in July, when he decided to throw out an old hard drive he no longer needed. Later he wondered, was that the hard drive that had my digital Bitcoin wallet key? The one with 7,500 Bitcoins I mined back in 2009, when it was easy to do and they weren't worth much? It was. Guess where it is now? Gone forever, that's where it is now.

Theoretically it could be recovered from the landfill where it ended up. It's about 3 or 4 feet down, in a space as big as a football field, under a layer of every single other thing people threw in the garbage since July. "Even for the police to find something, they need a team of 15 guys, two diggers, and all the personal protection equipment," says Howells. "So for me to fund that, it's not possible without the guarantee of money at the end."

Bitcoins are currently worth [https://twitter.com/bitcoinprice] something in the region of $971 per coin. Howell's hoard would be about $7,282,500, give or take a couple of zeroes. The hard drive contained the encrypted private key needed to access his wallet and spend the Bitcoins, and he didn't keep a backup.

"I've searched high and low," he says. "I've tried to retrieve files from all of my USB sticks, from all of my hard drives. I've tried everything just in case I had a backup file, or had copied it by accident. And ... nothing."

He's resigned to not getting his Bitcoins back. Before you set off, shovel in hand, his local council has already said it isn't letting treasure hunters crawl all over its garbage. If it was easily retrieved, that would be different, but four foot down somewhere in a space the size of a football field is nobody's definition of easy. Besides, there's no guarantee the drive is readable, after the hard treatment it must have had.

Easy come, easy go. Let this be a lesson to us all: back up. Back up as if you life, or your fortune, depended on it.

Source: Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Well, I suppose now mining for bitcoins could require actual mining.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I think today's lesson would be: Always be careful when money is involved. Either that or "don't waste". The latter certainly holds a certain eco-protection ring to it too.

On a side note, who throws away a hard drive without making sure all the sensitive stuff is copied to another drive? Maybe I am just obsessive but I always end up copying way too much from my old drives whenever I change them.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
Who throws away a hard drive? As much space as you have, you will always need more.

And even if you do throw one away, who throws it away without a full format?

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I'll bet he feels like a massive dolt right about now.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
Aren't "bitcoins" just another word for "credits"?
The thing is, once you lose access to your bitcoins, they are forever lost. No one will ever be able to claim them. They're gone for good.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Nuxxy said:
Who throws away a hard drive? As much space as you have, you will always need more.

And even if you do throw one away, who throws it away without a full format?
Also, who puts electronics in with the house trash?

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Aaaaand this is why the bitcoin will never catch on. Seriously though, throwing away a hard drive, no full format, and in house trash? The man's a fool.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
This hurts my soul. The draining feeling of even potentially ruining something like that makes me anxious.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
As if bitcoins hadn't been proven to be a stupid enough idea already. Still, who chucks a hard drive without checking what's on it first? I replaced my hard drive four years ago when it started showing signs of failure, and guess what? It's still sitting in my closet in case I suddenly remember something that I never copied from it, or deleted and changed my mind about. I'm not chucking it until it's completely unusable or I have enough space to back up its entire contents; I've thrown out too many things in my life that I've later regretted not saving.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Isn't this essentially like opening your wallet and dumping all your money in a furnace?

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
As if bitcoins hadn't been proven to be a stupid enough idea already.
Exactly. I find it very hard to feel sorry for this guy when what he lost was an imaginary pile of autism kroner. It cost him nothing besides some CPU cycles and some electricity to generate them in the first place, and the only reason they are "worth" that much is raw, blind speculation. Even if they were recoverable, would he be able to find enough buyers to convert all of them into a currency that is backed by something more tangible than the word of a bunch shady libertarian internet people? Remember kids, a currency's market value is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it, which in bitcoin's case has proven to be wildly variable and prone to crashes.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"They're gonna kill that poor hard drive, man!"

Ah well, you know what they say...

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
More excuses for people to spread Bitcoin propaganda. Other than the Bitcoin Mining code being snuck into competitive play this stuff isn't game related. So why is a Gaming Website hocking this kind of story? To sucker more people in. Bitbulbs 2.0 mania is getting out of hand.

All this is Tulip Mania and this article is no different then the spam people send out to get more people into whatever pyramid scam that has suckered them.

What's going to happen is this latest Surge is going to Crash some time in December.
The next surge will happen 3 months later followed by a crash.
The next 1 month later followed by a crash.
Then a week later so the Crash won't look as much as a crash but leveling out.
Then a day later.
Then a min later
Then an infinite number of surges on that single day causing a Finite-Time Singularity.
Then Tulip Bulb 2.0 crash and burn.

Enjoy the ensuing depression.