Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
EVE Online & Crossing the Point of No Return

A rundown of the Rubicon expansion.

Read Full Article

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
You know. I'm often fascinated by the Escapist fascination with Eve online because it keeps reporting stuff about that game.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Product Placement said:
You know. I'm often fascinated by the Escapist fascination with Eve online because it keeps reporting stuff about that game.
It's gaming news, so why shouldnt they report about it?
This expansion is pretty good. Very happy with it.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
the doom cannon said:
Product Placement said:
I'm not forbidding them to report on it, far from it. It's just that I see them report on it very frequently, to the point that I've started to take notice. To name but an example, there have been 5 reports about the game, in November alone. Usually a month does not go by when I see a new Escapist update about Eve online.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Say what you want about EVE, it's managed to stick around for a decade now, and be healthier than ever. They have a truly unique game on their hands.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Never played that game. Never will. But damn I love to hear about it, especially when their players manage yet another crazy awesome feat of corporate spycraft or Grand Theft Starship... no, sorry, Grand Theft Fleet. Bunch of crazy guys able to spend one year infiltrating and socializing their way up to a rival corporation just to make a magnificent backstab: I can only love them.

If there are EVE players around, let it be known that you have some fans outside your community.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Product Placement said:
the doom cannon said:
Product Placement said:
I'm not forbidding them to report on it, far from it. It's just that I see them report on it very frequently, to the point that I've started to take notice. To name but an example, there have been 5 reports about the game, in November alone. Usually a month does not go by when I see a new Escapist update about Eve online.
The Eveplayers have undermined the escapist. We sit in their staff and their newsposts and are just preparing for the takeover of the whole gaming industry so all will bow to the might of internet spaceshipz

I also like the new expansion especially the new cruiser.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Product Placement said:
the doom cannon said:
Product Placement said:
I think it's mostly because of EvE's unique place in gaming.

Love it, hate it or simply don't care about it. But you have to admit, EvE online is one of the few games that take player interaction to this level and among those it's the biggest.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It's a rather interesting concept, given that the creators are working hard now, so they cqn hardly work later. There is so much players can do in the game that it keeps attracting new players. I wonder how lonf before ISK will become something traded on Wall Street.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Slycne said:
Custom's Office's
Shouldn't that be "Customs Offices"? Or am I being too old-fashioned in thinking that a business that is largely about publishing written words in English, should spell those words correctly?

ETA: And the author is apparently also a Senior Editor? Wow.

Rufus Shinra said:
Never played that game. Never will. But damn I love to hear about it, especially when their players manage yet another crazy awesome feat of corporate spycraft or Grand Theft Starship... no, sorry, Grand Theft Fleet. Bunch of crazy guys able to spend one year infiltrating and socializing their way up to a rival corporation just to make a magnificent backstab: I can only love them..
Agreed. From what I hear, the game is brutal, and I simply don't have time to invest in any MMO game. It also sounds like to succeed at it, is basically like managing a bunch of spreadsheets. Still, it's fascinating to read about.

I just wish there were more (or any?) games that combine space trading, space mining and space combat in a more accessible format that doesn't require such a time commitment. I'm not sure why the genre has received so little attention over the years.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Agreed. From what I hear, the game is brutal, and I simply don't have time to invest in any MMO game. It also sounds like to succeed at it, is basically like managing a bunch of spreadsheets. Still, it's fascinating to read about.

I just wish there were more (or any?) games that combine space trading, space mining and space combat in a more accessible format that doesn't require such a time commitment. I'm not sure why the genre has received so little attention over the years.
For a more accessible space MMO that has those things you just need to wait a bit for Star Citizen. Or you can pledge now and start in the dog fight alpha in about a month or two.

And by the way, I have played EvE for years and never touched a spreadsheet. I just flew around and blew stuff up.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
The speadsheet'ness of EVE is overstated, it's there but only for certain things you want to do.

As for this patch, yeah it was a good one. New ships especially are always cool, though the RLML change sucks balls.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
RoonMian said:
For a more accessible space MMO that has those things you just need to wait a bit for Star Citizen. Or you can pledge now and start in the dog fight alpha in about a month or two.
As I said, i don't have the time to invest in any MMO. I was thinking of single-player versions of the genre. There were a few around back in my early days of gaming, on Commodore 64 and whatnot, but they were always limited by the technology available at the time, and never seemed to get popular. I think the most technically advanced they got was Terminus; which was released for Windows, Mac and Linux; but I lost my discs for that a long time ago.

So, any suggestions for single-player versions of this genre?

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:

Meh, probably because space combat games are clearly a dead genre with no future and no customer base that will bomb every time someone tries to make one. Look at the incredibly low result of the Kickstarter campaign for that small indie game. That "Star Citizen" thingie...

Nah, space sims and scifi non-shooters are dead! Better make another WoW clone, trust me on that.

asmodes.reynolds

Nov 29, 2013
Eve online is Unique beast, That I have loved since beta, however in recent patches that are making it much less compelling, for the older players. The "endgame content" has abeen the sovereignty wars since sovereignty wars, since it was released.

In recent years they have made some improvements, and hindrances the game's future. The game is always run on a risk VS reward system (higher the risk the equally high reward). However with recent patches they are systematic they are systematically reducing the rewards gained high risk areas of space, while increasing the amount over as required to maintain that reward (at the request of the largest portion of their player base) making a high content undesirable.

to understand why this is a bad thing you first have to understand something about Eve online is a unlike their MMO's where are you simply move from area/zone based on your level/skills and equipment most PVP needs to be declared and/or Consensual. However in Eve online this is not the case, the zones simply determine the amount of protection you have against PVP. And how much risk of equipment up when you were willing to accept to get your reward ( if your equipment is destroyed in Eve online you have to buy a new set it is permanently destroyed) an player versus player combat is non-consent is hence the risk.
There are Three basic zones in Eve online.

hi sec: where all player versus player combat is either consensual or or the aggressor being destroyed by special npc name Concorde (losing their current equipment). This zone also contains player versus environment content that is low risk and lower reward for time invested. 75 about 75% of the population lives in this zone, because because of the fear consensual PVP and loss of their equipment. This area is typically populated by small unorganized alliances and corporations these organizations typically range in size between. 1-100 player characters.

low sec, npc nulls, Wormhole : player combat In this zone does not have to be consensual there there is little to no repercussion for on consensual player versus player combat . Because of this risk the player versus environment content is much harder and yields a much higher reward the time investment. this regionusually consists of small to medium-sized alliances and corporations with sizes ranging between 50-300 on average.

The last zone is sovereignty space Eve online's "endgame content": In this zone there are no repercussions on consensual player combat. The space is held and upgraded by player organizations post NPC organizations, Player organizations can anchor structures prevent or allow other players from docking in the structures and upgrade to space according to their needs. The risk in this space is very high because if that space taken from you you may lose access to all the structures. The reward to time investment for this region is supposed to be very high. This region is sparsely populated only containing about 13% of Eve's overall player base. this area space is usually inhabited by less than 100 organizations ranging from 300- 14000 player characters.

I could probably write 10 pages on the reason why the population is distributed in that fashion. I understand CCP made business decisions based on pleasing the a very vocal majority of their player base that lives in high sec in order to retain and gain and retain subscribers. However, it is killing the desirability of endgame content. Therefore reducing the desirability and needed to form massive entities (because of the massive overhead of organizing and distributing information and equipment to several thousand players). Which is funny considering they use the endgame content and the massive battles generated by the content and and the massive player organizations that exist there. for their marketing material to attract new players.

Just some observations of a bitter veteran than is recently quit till CCP gets their head out of their ass and realizing their mistake which usually takes six months to a year. Which is just amenable inevitable part of the growing pains of an unconventional MMO trying desperately to break into the mainstream.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
So, any suggestions for single-player versions of this genre?
There is an offline single player campaign component of Star Citizen called Squadron 42, keep an eye out for that.

For games that are out now? No idea. One of my all time favourite games is Starlancer, it really was overshadowed by it's predecessor Freelancer, but still an amazing single player experience in it's own right.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Personal opinion, the new expansion didn't do much compared to other expansions. They added three deployable structures, and replaced the old certificate system with a World of Tanks Style tech tree.

They've also added a handful of new items and a new type of scan site.... which seems to be fairly rare spawn wise, so far.

Surprisingly, Escapist really doesn't seem to have covered the scandal about CCP playing favorites yet again, giving away trillions in in game goods to select in game entities.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Overall the game is still just a massive screensaver. True you get to run the spreadsheet from time to time but so what?

All so CCP can sing HTFU and enable a pond of low life scum and villainy. I have checked out the game and it was mostly a joke. Not worth the time to download the demo. Now that I have met a few EVE players my view of the game and its low life nature has - cemented. With one exception. I have actually met an EVE Online player that I am glad to call a friend.

One.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
BaronIveagh said:
Personal opinion, the new expansion didn't do much compared to other expansions. They added three deployable structures, and replaced the old certificate system with a World of Tanks Style tech tree.

They've also added a handful of new items and a new type of scan site.... which seems to be fairly rare spawn wise, so far.

Surprisingly, Escapist really doesn't seem to have covered the scandal about CCP playing favorites yet again, giving away trillions in in game goods to select in game entities.
Compared to Incarna it did at a lot more which actually matters in the game. Well actually Incarna did bring Monoclegate so we can call it even :)
Edit: Wait there was the Shipspinning counter in that! yeah incarna wins
Darkness665 said:
Overall the game is still just a massive screensaver. True you get to run the spreadsheet from time to time but so what?

All so CCP can sing HTFU and enable a pond of low life scum and villainy. I have checked out the game and it was mostly a joke. Not worth the time to download the demo. Now that I have met a few EVE players my view of the game and its low life nature has - cemented. With one exception. I have actually met an EVE Online player that I am glad to call a friend.

One.
Do you want some prejudice with your generalisation? Ahh I see you already took it. I trust every corpmember in my EVE corporation and have almost never encountered anything of that so called low life scum.
Also the "spreadsheetness" of Eve is vastly overstated. It has one of the best pvp I have ever encountered and the pvp is still the reason why I play it.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Darkness665 said:

One.
EVE has the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met. I can't think of a single other MMO where you can whisper a guy that has just killed you, or be whispered by one that you've killed, and have a conversation about what could have been done differently or to exchange advice. And that is normal.

The only truly bumface part of EVE are the scams, and they're not hard to avoid. Just ignore Jita/any trade hub local and you're sorted.