Hello Games Announces New Sci-Fi Adventure No Man's Sky

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Hello Games Announces New Sci-Fi Adventure No Man's Sky

Joe Danger developer Hello Games' latest project is a multiplayer game of exploration and combat in a massive, procedurally-generated universe.

Sean Murray, Managing Director of independent developer Hello Games, announced the latest project from the studio today, No Man's Sky. The reveal trailer debuted on VGX, showing in-game footage captured in real time of No Man's Sky gameplay. The trailer shows first-person exploration of a strange alien world, with other celestial bodies visible in the distance. Exploration under water, on land, and flying in the atmosphere and in space are all shown in the trailer. The game will also feature combat, both on the surface of planets and between ships in space.

Murray says, "We wanted to make a game about exploration, and we wanted to make a game that was real. If you can see it, you can walk there, you can explore it. The planet on the horizon is a real place." No Man's Sky is a departure in many ways from the studio's Joe Danger series. The game will be multiplayer, and it will have a persistent, procedurally-generated world. Murray added that every star in the night sky is another solar system to explore, with planets and ecosystems of their own. No release date has been announced.

Hello Games is an independent developer with just a four-person team. Their Joe Danger series takes the best parts of trick racing games and platformers and put squeezes them together into a expected in the near future [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7716-Review-Joe-Danger]. The PC, Mac, and Linus releases feature extra content and an "Ultra Hard PC Challenge". Versions for PS Vita are expected in 2014.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Best part of the show, to be honest. I don't think they mentioned which platforms they are developing for, though.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
The only worthwhile thing out of the VGX that we didn't already know about.

Apr 28, 2008
Looks like a beefed up Rodina.

I like it. I want it. Now.

Though it doesn't seem to have the exploring the inside of your own ship thing like Rodina. Ah well, I'll just get both.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
seditary said:
Two new Telltale games isn't worthwhile? Elijah Wood as the main character of Broken Age?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Ugh. Sounded awesome until I read it was a multiplayer game. Heres hoping there's a singleplayer mode.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
seditary said:
Two new Telltale games isn't worthwhile? Elijah Wood as the main character of Broken Age?
Nope. Not interested in Telltale games based in Borderlands or Game of Thrones. Or who in particular it is voicing one of the main characters of Broken Age, being a Hollywood actor makes no difference.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
seditary said:
Sight Unseen said:
seditary said:
Nope. Not interested in Telltale games based in Borderlands or Game of Thrones. Or who in particular it is voicing one of the main characters of Broken Age, being a Hollywood actor makes no difference.
Ok, and that's your opinion which is fine. But myself, my girlfriend and I'm sure many other people are extremely excited by those things. It sounded like you were making an objective and irrefutable statement in your original post, and I strongly disagree with it because I actually wasn't all that impressed with this game, but I was extremely pleased about those announcements I mentioned.

As a huge Game of Thrones nerd (HUGE!) and a big fan of Telltale's Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us games, I am unbelievably excited to know that they're making a Game of Thrones game

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I can hear my bank balance quaking as we speak...

If the finished game is anywhere near as good as this preview has made it appear, even if its purely "Look at the prettiness", I will love this thing to death.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Ugh. Sounded awesome until I read it was a multiplayer game. Heres hoping there's a singleplayer mode.
I agree. Although, if the story is good enough, I might be amenable. Also, so long as it isn't a "service" with a sub fee.

Also, I am unsure about procedurally generating so much content. It sounds awesome, but I question the ability to deliver. This sounds like the sort of promise we might expect from Peter Molyneux.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
So you're essentially taking The Outer Wilds, the space exploration game I always wanted, and...making it bigger and shinnier?

Okay.

So do you want my first born son or my first born daughters?

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Anyone else getting a lovely 'this video is private' when they try to play the trailer? i saw arrakis mentioned in the facebook comments and wanted to take a look, but seems they... dont take to kindly to my kind 'round these here parts(as they rock back and forward on their heels, grasping their suspenders in each thumb).

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I am, what gives with the recent videos being private or removed for bullshit copyright claim?

SirPigglesworth

Aug 14, 2012
The linked video is private http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnBVY8zEgM here's one that's not.

Looks like the best thing to come out of the VGX and as long as they keep each world interesting they might have a really fun game. I no longer want a new Starfox game now that I know about this.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
That does look pretty interesting, I like the art style too. It looks great instead the usual "moar fidelity!" we see.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Okay, what the hell? It's been years since any decent space sim and exploration games came out. Now we have Star Citizen and this? *Looks at who's making it* That explains it, small company. 4 man company behind what is already turning a lot of heads whilst all the major game companies still believing space games are dead.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hopefully they work in oculus rift support. Because if they do, it won't even matter if the game is nothing but procedurally generated planets. It'd still be the tech demo to end all tech demos.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
HOLY CRAP!

That was amazing. I'm sort of glad I haven't bought Star Citizen yet, because 2 multiplayer space exploration games might be pushing it, and this looks like it could be a very tight contender. Hopefully the graphics is still being upgraded because the textures and animations looked a little weak in spots, but the colour scheme is so rich it's absolutely beautiful. What a great idea.