Team Fortress 2 Chess Set Is America's Top Chess-Themed Hat Simulator

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Team Fortress 2 Chess Set Is America's Top Chess-Themed Hat Simulator

Of course, all of the pieces have interchangeable hats, and of course, it comes with a free in-game hat for TF2.

If you're looking for the perfect Christmas gift for a ravenous Team Fortress 2 fan, you may want to consider the official Team Fortress 2 chess set [http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1286/#tabs] that has recently popped up on ThinkGeek. In true hat-simulation style, each of Team Fortress 2's iconic mercenaries can wear the "hat" of any of the chess pieces, and the game, of course, comes with a DLC code for a free hat in the TF2 video game.

"When the troops from Reliable Excavation & Demolition and Builders League United aren't on the battlefield, they often unwind in the green room together. They sip sodas, eat cheese-flavored snacks, and play board games. But not just any board game. They play chess. Ah, chess - that classic game that simulates two sides on a battlefield. TWO SIDES AT WAR!!! The tables flip and the guns come out. It's RED vs. BLU all over again in this Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Chess Set."

The set costs $99.99 and contains everything you need to play chess. The game Board is 15" squared and each of the playing pieces are 2.5" - 5" tall. The set comes with two sets of each of the nine mercenaries to use as the special chess pieces, as well as red (a bomb) and blu (a wrench) Pawn pieces.

The DLC hat included with the set, the Grandmaster Hat, actually changes during gameplay. It starts as a Pawn and levels up or down (through the chess pieces) correlating to your kill streak.

$100 seems a bit steep for a simple chess set, even if it is this cool and comes with a free hat. What do you guys think? Is this going under anyone's Christmas tree?

Source: ThinkGeek [http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1286/]

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
There are 8 non-pawn pieces on each side. There are 9 classes in TF2.

Which class would YOU leave out of the game?

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Chessrook44 said:

Why the spy of course. You can't have a chess game where the pieces run around changing colors all the time.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Nice idea, although I don't think the price is nearly worthwhile, unless it was made of Australium. Also, the gimmick behind the promotional hat is cool, but the thing itself looks pretty dumb.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I love TF2 and I loved chess, but good god does that cost too much. Rather spend that money on like 30 more steam games I'll never have time to play. :p

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
They could easily make a video game version of TF2 chess and people would buy it. I know because I would.
Just make sure it comes with a cool free hats/miac and sales are guaranteed. :D

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
cool but abit much. And this Hatfortess thing is getting VERY old now. You can buy and craft ALOT more then just hats and lets me fucking honest. Does it really effect the game play ? no ? then wots the fucking issue ? if some asshole wants to piss away money on cosmetic shit not like TF2 is the first to do this, and will not be the last. Only diff is it has workshop and alot of the crap is what ppl want to buy. Unlike CoD where you can change you dog into a wolf.....o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o. If your going to carry on with hatfortress shit then you may as well carry on a arrow to the knee, or no no friends WE WERE ON A BREAK

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
AstaresPanda said:
cool but abit much. And this Hatfortess thing is getting VERY old now. You can buy and craft ALOT more then just hats and lets me fucking honest. Does it really effect the game play ? no ? then wots the fucking issue ? if some asshole wants to piss away money on cosmetic shit not like TF2 is the first to do this, and will not be the last. Only diff is it has workshop and alot of the crap is what ppl want to buy. Unlike CoD where you can change you dog into a wolf.....o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o. If your going to carry on with hatfortress shit then you may as well carry on a arrow to the knee, or no no friends WE WERE ON A BREAK
Save that anger for the MutantPandas, XenosPandas, and HereticPandas. They aren't going to purge themselves!

By the way all the guys in BLU told me they were on a break because they all took an arrow to the knee. They spent most of their free time expanding their hat collections.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
AstaresPanda said:
A lot of the hat jokes are quotes from the developers of the board game themselves. In fact, the "america's number 1 chess-themed hat simulator" quote is written right there on the box. It's self-parody

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
99$? Way way way too expensive for my blood. Maybe when it becomes 20$, I'll pick it up. But at 99$ It's way way way too expensive...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So as someone who used to be a card-carrying USCF (intermediate, if you care) I got their brochure every quarter. You know what $100 dollars gets you from sane chess set makers? Freaking CUT STONE AND QUARTZ sets. Or glass sets with mirrored boards. Or carved and burnt wood pieces.

These are plastic with hats. Effing WHY

Hell an unweighted tournament set with a board was $25

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Chessrook44 said:

The medic. Healing chess peices is cheating!

I'm more interested to know which classes are made to do the exact same thing.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
What an outrageous price. I ought to slap the butler who brought me this news, damn his eyes!

samwise970

May 2, 2010
"The set costs $99.99 and contains everything you need to play chess. "

Yeah. Based on this alone nobody will buy this. Chess is already the ultimate board game, TF2 is great but who in their right mind would buy this? Might as well build a 3d printer and make the pieces yourself.

Also, it just doesn't look that good.