Titanfall's Quick-Scoping and No-Scoping Sniping to Be 'Ineffective,' Respawn Says

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Titanfall's Quick-Scoping and No-Scoping Sniping to Be 'Ineffective,' Respawn Says

Titanfall will support sniping, but won't be the same as your typical shooter.

While Respawn Entertainment is comprised of former developers that created Call of Duty, that doesn't mean the studio will be relying on shooter tropes for its debut project, Titanfall. Posting on the official Titanfall forums [http://www.respawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3483&p=59831#p59831], Respawn developer "scriptacus" has confirmed sniping will be in the game, but "quick-scoping" and "no-scoping" won't be as effective as they are in your typical military shooter.

Sniping is in the game, but due to how the game plays it's a pretty different animal than you'll find in your run of the mill modern military shooter. Quick scoping and no scoping are ineffective.

For those unfamiliar with the term, quick-scoping is when a player quickly presses the "ADS" (aim down sight) button, and without locking on to your target, fire your sniper rifle just like you would a shotgun. No scoping is a bit harder, since it requires the player to rely solely on the crosshairs of their gun while it's not in ADS mode to hit their enemy.

Both methods of sniping have been exploited by countless multiplayer users and can mostly be seen in your typical Call of Duty or Battlefield montage. Even if players somehow find a way to quick and no-scope in Titanfall, I imagine it won't be as effective, since players can run across walls and navigate the environment faster compared to your typical shooter. Add the game's Titans into the mix and that further complicates matters for snipers.

Speaking of Titans, Respawn unveiled the showed off the "Atlas" mech [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130332-Titanfall-Devs-Reveal-New-Ogre-and-Stryder-Titans-At-VGX]s that players can use in the game.

Will Respawn succeed where other shooters failed when it comes to sniping? We'll know for sure once Titanfall hits the Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC on March 11, 2014.

Source: Gamingbolt [http://gamingbolt.com/titanfall-sniping-confirmed-quick-scoping-no-scoping-are-ineffective]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Obviously, the proof of how true this is won't be found out until later, but if this is true then I have just one thing to say.

Thank. Fucking. Christ.

As someone who "hardscopes" ie likes to look down the scope for more than half a second, quick-scoping and no-scoping irritates the hell out of me. Might be because I'm on the receiving end irregularly highly, but it's mostly down to the fact that it makes no fucking sense.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Quickscoping isn't just pressing the aim button and firing before the scope comes up, it's an aim-assist glitch found in other games by these guys, not an industry standard or fps trope.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
SecondPrize said:
Quickscoping isn't just pressing the aim button and firing before the scope comes up, it's an aim-assist glitch found in other games by these guys, not an industry standard or fps trope.
It's not an "aim assist glitch", it's just the aim assist working as intended. If your crosshair is near an enemy and you aim down sights the aim assist snaps your crosshair onto them.

So you can easily make quickscoping not work by turning off that aim assist.

You can make no scoping harder by not having crosshairs and/or by having the aimpoint waver when you aren't using the scope on a sniper rifle.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009

Another M.M.S. staple shows it's first signs of being bled out of the FPS market. Now if we could just get rid of the autokill melee weapon, tiny FOV, and ridiculously short and terrible single player campaigns maybe I'll actually buy a military FPS again.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
GloatingSwine said:
SecondPrize said:
It's not an "aim assist glitch", it's just the aim assist working as intended. If your crosshair is near an enemy and you aim down sights the aim assist snaps your crosshair onto them.

So you can easily make quickscoping not work by turning off that aim assist.

You can make no scoping harder by not having crosshairs and/or by having the aimpoint waver when you aren't using the scope on a sniper rifle.
My bad, I didn't realize that the aim assist meant for you to get a headshot if your crosshairs were near them, or that the the method known as a glitch which was adopted by cod players wasn't actually a glitch.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
No scoping was a lot worse than quick scoping, The glitch was people would aim with their pistol using non scoped crosshairs and then have a weapon switch fire macro for the sniper rifle, in CS this meant your 1st non scoped sniper round would hit where you aimed your pistol, combined with the AWP meant a lot of easy low skilled kills.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I have never really understood the issues people have with "quick scoping". The console issues are obvious, but that is an aim assist problem.

It seems counter intuitive to go out of their way to reduce the effectiveness of "quick scoping" when Titanfall seems to be all about mobility. If they are worried about it then they should could reduce the aim assist or balance them so the only OHKs are headshots.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Another M.M.S. staple shows it's first signs of being bled out of the FPS market.
We've seen this sort of promise before, and it's yet to be true. In short, while it might happen, saying it's going to happen doesn't mean it's true.

In the meanwhile, I wonder if this will turn off anyone looking to buy Call of Duty: Mech Warfare. Remember, slight changes in reload times were enough to get the "quicksoping community" to threaten to bail on Blops2. And death threats for the devs.

SecondPrize said:
GloatingSwine said:
My bad, I didn't realize that the aim assist meant for you to get a headshot if your crosshairs were near them, or that the the method known as a glitch which was adopted by cod players wasn't actually a glitch.
At best, it is an exploit of the aim assist system.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Hmm... bullshit, Respawn Entertainment. You're the ones that made quickscoping a viable tactic in MW2, you're the ones that have forced the rest of the genre to comply to it.

Titanfall will have quickscoping, they'd be stupid to not include it. And if the game has aim assist, so it will have quickscoping.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I dislike this. Hardscoping makes the game slower and (in my opinion) less fun.

Then again, the type of quickscope/noscope I'm used to is in TF2 where there is no aim assist and it doesn't do an insane amount of damage. So I suppose if it makes sniping too OP with aim assist it's an unfortunate necessity.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm not really getting this. Movement might make things harder on snipers given how much more random a player's route can be compared to other games, but I seriously doubt that will hinder quick scoping. If anything, it might make it more prevalent, since people will realize that hard scoping an area will be much more difficult given the fact that it's much easier to avoid that area. Of course, if they don't allow people to exploit auto-aiming, then that will make things harder on quick scoping as well, but at most I just see this making the sniper's job more difficult, not encouraging players to hard scope over quick scope.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Evonisia said:
Hmm... bullshit, Respawn Entertainment. You're the ones that made quickscoping a viable tactic in MW2, you're the ones that have forced the rest of the genre to comply to it.

Titanfall will have quickscoping, they'd be stupid to not include it. And if the game has aim assist, so it will have quickscoping.
They didn't say that it wouldn't be in there, they said that it would be "ineffective" as in, not broken as all Hell.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
I dislike this. Hardscoping makes the game slower and (in my opinion) less fun
Quickscoping bullshit is fun for the people doing it but facing multiple people all walking round with one shot guns, effective at any range is annoying.

If you watch that you will notice that around the 20 second mark a guy uses a submachine gun, puts around 5 bullets into him and he lives ... that is fucking annoying to run into! Especially in COD 'cos around 3 people in every team do it, so you constantly end up in gun fights that you have no hope of winning. Though, they always go negative, no idea how but they do.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
omega 616 said:
Yeah, most of the FPS's I play have snipers not one hit kills and no aim assist so it's never a problem. In console based MMS I can see how it can be a problem.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:

Another M.M.S. staple shows it's first signs of being bled out of the FPS market. Now if we could just get rid of the autokill melee weapon, tiny FOV, and ridiculously short and terrible single player campaigns maybe I'll actually buy a military FPS again.
Well they have addressed the single player campaign short comings in Titanfall. There is NONE. Its multiplayer only.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Objectable said:
I'll kill them... I'LL KILL EVERY TITAN I FIND!
<youtube=e308wwpFdsw>
Day 1 buy. Now that it comes up, I imagine Titanfall could be modded into a proper AoT mode with a little bit of effort. The runny jumpy mechanics are already in there. I suppose they're going to restrict modding though, not so many games let the mods go crazy anymore. I'm still going to have to play Titanfall with that damn song on repeat at all times now though.

OT: And a million twelve year olds just cried out in anguish. Alas their 1337 noscope montages were to be no more. Does the PC version of these games have the whole noscope problem anyway? What with the lack of aim assist and stuff. I haven't played these kind of games since forever and i'm going for the PC version because the new gen is pretty wank at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be people jumping off rooftops in a spinning frenzy mashing the fire button with their FRAPS on just for the off chance they hit something to add to their montage but hopefully it will calm down a bit.

I've always hated the term "hardscoping." What you mean sniping? As in using the thing as it's supposed to be used? Are you having a laugh mate?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
erttheking said:
Evonisia said:

They didn't say that it wouldn't be in there, they said that it would be "ineffective" as in, not broken as all Hell.
'Ineffective' implies that they're making it obsolete or not as effective as hardscoping which isn't possible unless they severely nerf the Snipers (like Black Ops did). Like I said if aim assist has a presence (which it will because Titanfall is on console) Quickscoping will be there. As such it will be effective. Well there's always make it so the bolt actions take longer to bolt but that leads to death threats.