New Fate/Stay Night Anime Coming This Fall, More "Serious" Tone

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
New Fate/Stay Night Anime Coming This Fall, More "Serious" Tone

The next Fate/Stay Night anime will be more alike in tone to Ufotable's Fate/Zero.

Ufotable will animate the next animated series of Fate/Stay Night based on the Japanese visual novel series by Type-Moon. The next television anime series will air this fall.

Fate/Stay Night was the first anime adaptation in the series, produced in 2006 by Studio DEEN, who also produced the Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works film in 2010. Ufotable took over animation of the Fate/Zero prequel anime series based on Gen Urobuchi and Type-Moon's novel. Ufotable's founder Hikaru Kondo previously announced last July that the studio would be making another Fate/Stay Night project, but he did not specify what format it would be or if it would be a remake. Takahiro Miura, director for Fate/Zero will also direct the new anime.

Ufotable stated it would continue to move its adaptation of Fate/Stay Night in a more serious direction similar to Fate/Zero, according to an interview in Type-Moon Ace magazine. The scenario for the series is halfway finished and work has begun on several episodes. The original writer for Fate/Stay Night, Kinoko Nasu, is present every time the scenario writers meet as the production staff for the new anime hopes to preserve the feel of Fate/Stay Night as much as possible. Nasu provides background information that wasn't included in the original, which ufotable plans to incorporate. Rumors suggest Nasu has written an original route for the series, but this has not been confirmed.

Ufotable also mentioned it wants to "properly write Shirou Emiya as a protagonist," who serves as the protagonist of Fate/Stay Night but not Fate/Zero. Shirou, Rin, and Saber will all have new outfits.

A website for the anime opened in December with a teaser video. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QUn6ywWNg]

Source: Siliconera [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-28/new-fate/stay-night-anime-by-ufotable-premieres-fall-2014]

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Ilya route. Calling it now. Or at least hoping for it.

Honestly, I'm glad they decided to create a new story. Sakura's appearance in Fate/Zero would've mandated Heaven's Feel, which wouldn't have made a good anime. Yes, the final parts are epic, but before that there's too much sitting around the house doing nothing but talking.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
The problem with F/SN wasn't it's lack of "seriousness", but that it's directing and production values sucked.

In fact, I would guess that in the original report the seriousness referred to it being a more serious member of the Fate/ franchise, as opposed to the whacky comedy spinoffs.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Soo... no Taiga Dojo in this anime then? Or Taiga at all really. She does not belong in a serious anime.
Thats too bad, if you ask me. I can't stand an anime that's all super serious. I need a little bit of levity in everything I watch. Guess I'll just have to stick with Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya then.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
EyeReaper said:
Soo... no Taiga Dojo in this anime then? Or Taiga at all really. She does not belong in a serious anime.
Thats too bad, if you ask me. I can't stand an anime that's all super serious. I need a little bit of levity in everything I watch. Guess I'll just have to stick with Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya then.
Comedy always has a place in more serious works. It wouldn't be a smartly written drama without something to contrast it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
EyeReaper said:
Well, if it's maintaining the tone of Fate/Zero, that doesn't mean no humor whatsoever. Fate/Zero had some humorous elements, mostly Iskander being awesome and doing his thing. It just means no more crazy inflated Taiga heads...and I'm not sure if I'm gonna miss those, to be honest.

I am so ready for this, Ufotable's animation is absolutely insane, and if they somehow (through dark magic, most likely) make Shirou less of a shithead, Fate/Stay Night could reach its, dare I say it, TRUE POTENTIAL!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know why they're going for a 'super serious' tone considering that Fate/Stay Night itself is actually pretty comical at times. It's just like any anime you've ever seen - some comic relief to break up the tension. Even Attack on Titan has the occasional humor and I feel like that show was about as serious as most anime gets. Frankly, if drama equal to Fate/Zero is what they want to go for, they should really adapt the Heaven's Feel story. With some clever editing, it'd be pretty easy to adapt. Unlimited Blade Works will always be my favorite route, but Heaven's Feel is epic compared to the anime, which followed the Fate route.

As far as altering personalities go, I'm up for it as long as all they do is make Shirou less of a sexist goober. I'm also not one of those people that cares about new costumes, so go nuts. I just hope they don't remake the first series. If this 'original route' is the Ilya route that Nasu never got to finish, I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: After having watched the teaser trailer, it's looking more and more like it's simply a remake of the Fate route which the original series followed. But it's just a teaser trailer, so who knows.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
The prophecies were true! Could it be... the fabled Ilya route?!

But yeah there's pretty much no way I won't watch the hell out of this. My only hope is that it is either UBW or a brand new route. Heaven's Feel is the worst possible way to tie up the plots left unfinished in Zero.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
CJ1145 said:

But yeah there's pretty much no way I won't watch the hell out of this. My only hope is that it is either UBW or a brand new route. Heaven's Feel is the worst possible way to tie up the plots left unfinished in Zero.
Heaven's Feel is THE ONLY way to tie up the plots left unfinished in Zero. There's a ton of stuff in Fate/Zero that just goes nowhere in Fate and UBW. For example,

SAKURA

That said, it isn't perfect, even if what they're going for is "Fate/Stay Night as a sequel to Fate/Zero". There's certainly less lern2play in HF than in Fate or UBW, and the tone and themes are more consistant, but there are also a lot of things that are set up in Fate and UBW for Heaven's Feel to twist. Shirou's story definitely loses something if it doesn't go through Fate and UBW first, and I'm not sure if Saber's story in HF works as a continuation of her story in Fate/Zero.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'd rather have Shirou as he is now rather than him being all hard-boiled and serious like his adopted father. One of the less desirable aspects of Fate/Zero for me was Emiya Kiritsugu; there was nothing likable or relatable about him at all. It wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't been the main character but unfortunately he was and Shirou is too. Seeing as how Gen Urobuchi isn't doing the writing I am hopeful but if they took cues from how they handled Emiya I'm going to be disappointed.

But production value and cool fights blah blah blah.
Charmille said:
They're not popular in the general community, unless we're talking about Katawa Shoujo, but there is a sizable and active user group dedicated to them.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
EDIT: After having watched the teaser trailer, it's looking more and more like it's simply a remake of the Fate route which the original series followed. But it's just a teaser trailer, so who knows.
I can't see the trailer right now, but if it's the same one I've seen before, it's mostly composed of scenes from the opening videos for Fate, UBW, and HF from the PS Vita remake of Fate/Stay Night: Realta Nua, which ufotable did the animation for. There are like three new bits of animation right at the end, from scenes common to all three routes.

By the way, if you haven't seen the Vita openings before, look them up on Youtube. It's impossible to find them in not-shit quality, but they blow the old openings off the fucking planet.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
So... not the rumored Heaven's Feel? Anyway, I'll still watch it. Especially if Ufotable gives Ea its due like Zero.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Fleaman said:
CJ1145 said:

Heaven's Feel is THE ONLY way to tie up the plots left unfinished in Zero. There's a ton of stuff in Fate/Zero that just goes nowhere in Fate and UBW. For example,

SAKURA

That said, it isn't perfect, even if what they're going for is "Fate/Stay Night as a sequel to Fate/Zero". There's certainly less lern2play in HF than in Fate or UBW, and the tone and themes are more consistant, but there are also a lot of things that are set up in Fate and UBW for Heaven's Feel to twist. Shirou's story definitely loses something if it doesn't go through Fate and UBW first, and I'm not sure if Saber's story in HF works as a continuation of her story in Fate/Zero.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind them shoving something to do with Sakura into a UBW adaptation just for closure's sake. But she really made HF such a chore to get through for me. Especially the maelstrom of miscommunication between her, Rin and Shirou. But so much gets lost in an HF adaptation. Saber's story gets a pointless and nonsensical bad end, absolutely nothing is explored with Gilgamesh and his survival of the 4th War, the conflict with Rin and Kirei is glossed over for the conflict with him and Shirou, which frankly we got plenty of in Zero. Heroic Spirit Emiya gets sidelined, and very little of Shirou's actual motivation for being a hero is explored, opting to drop it all because he wants up Sakura's skirt. The most damning though is that the final scene of Zero with Kiritsugu passing on his ideal and dying happily becomes pointless and very nearly invalidates everything that happened relating to him, Iri, and Saber in the 4th War.

Maybe this is why we need a brand new route though. Adapting any of the three will leave out something of worth, since they're meant to be read together, one after the other. Hopefully Nasu can help make a version of Fate that stands on its own.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
A close friend of mine is a total FSN fan to the point where he has a mousemat and 3 tall glass cabinets with variations of Saber in them.

I don't really have an interest in the show and I've tried (even my friend tried so hard but in the end it didn't even matter, maybe because of how they portray the reincarnation of King Arthur (He was male in actual history and I'd rather it stay that way).

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I don't really have an interest in the show and I've tried (even my friend tried so hard but in the end it didn't even matter, maybe because of how they portray the reincarnation of King Arthur (He was male in actual history and I'd rather it stay that way).
While I enjoyed the show (first part, going to see the F/N sequel soon), How they made King Arthur a female for the sake of having a female really bothered me. Its still a good show and I 'll probably watch it to the end, but I kinda wish either they kept it to history and made King Arthur a male, or have saber be King Arthur's wife or daughter.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Unlike you guys I really hope it's not Heaven's Feel. That route was a load of arse.
My guess it they'd say if it was anyone, this is probably a new plotline, hopefully one without Sakura.

Also everyone pissed about female King Arthur; dude was a fictional king, at least almost everything we know about him is fictional. They can do whatever they want with the character as long as it's interesting, which Saber is.