Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Available For Free on 3DS

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Available For Free on 3DS

For a limited time, Nintendo is offering free downloads of Legend of Zelda: Four Swords on the 3DS.

3DS owners can get a free download of Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition from today to the end of Feb. 2, meaning it's time to grab some friends this weekend and work on team-building skills.

Four Swords originally released on the Gameboy Advance with A Link To The Past. Unlike other Zelda games, Four Swords' emphasis is on multiplayer and cooperative play. Getting the full team of four Links proved to be difficult in the days of the Gameboy Advance with game link cables necessary for playing together. Thankfully, today we work wirelessly, but you'll still need . Four Swords can be played in single player mode in Four Swords Anniversary Edition in which the player switches control of two Links, but the greatest part of Four Swords was working out puzzles with friends and siblings.

To download Four Swords Anniversary Edition, scan a QR code [http://www.nintendo.com/popup/howto/eshopdownload/fJpB04NQSuuy_38tN4w_BVmarWE300Iw] to take you directly to the game's page, or you can go to the Nintendo eShop yourself.

The anniversary edition was released for a limited time through Nintendo DSiWare service on Sept. 28, 2011. It includes a new single player mode and more areas. Players both work together and against each other, solving puzzles and fighting monsters together while trying to collect the most rupees.

The promotion lasts from Jan. 30 9 a.m. PT to Feb. 2 11:59 p.m. PT.

Source: Zelda [http://zelda.com/fourswordsanniversary/]

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Neat. I still have the same problem that I had when it was originally released. No one to co-op it with.
Oh well, at least you can play it in single-player now.

Feb 8, 2009
I don't understand why they keep putting a limit on it. If they are going to keep selling it for free, just make it free permanently.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
AeroZeppelinSevenfold said:
I don't understand why they keep putting a limit on it. If they are going to keep selling it for free, just make it free permanently.
AGREED!
My best friend would LOVE to play this... and her 3DS is in the shop for repairs, and it probably won't get fixed before this promotion ends!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Just in case anyone is wondering, this offer is US only.

Europeans, or anyone else for that matter, need not apply.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
if they didn't update the game, the same issue still remains; unless you team up, there are not enough maximum drops available in solo mode to unlock the hardest versions of the stages

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Chimpzy said:

Why does Nintendo, and for that matter most of the gaming industry, seem to hate Europeans? I mean, it also affects Australians as well, so why not make it worldwide?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Trishbot said:
AGREED!
My best friend would LOVE to play this... and her 3DS is in the shop for repairs, and it probably won't get fixed before this promotion ends!
I don't know, it works for Valve with Portal. They've given it away for free at least two or three times now, but they still sell it to people who weren't paying attention when it was free, and presumably make some money on it.

It is nice to get this for free, I just wish it had online multiplayer or download play or something, beacause it's a pain in the butt to get enough people together who own the game to play it multiplayer. At least it's got a single player mode, and hey, free Zelda. Nothing really to complain about as long as it's free.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Chimpzy said:

Works for me. And I'm Canadian. So North America only would be more accurate.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Trishbot said:
AGREED!
I don't know, it works for Valve with Portal. They've given it away for free at least two or three times now, but they still sell it to people who weren't paying attention when it was free, and presumably make some money on it.

It is nice to get this for free, I just wish it had online multiplayer or download play or something, beacause it's a pain in the butt to get enough people together who own the game to play it multiplayer. At least it's got a single player mode, and hey, free Zelda. Nothing really to complain about as long as it's free.
But that's just it. I already HAVE it. She doesn't. And when the "free period" ended last time, the game did not go on sale... it just flat out DISAPPEARED entirely so nobody could even pay for it.

It's hard enough getting a friend with a 3DS to street pass with me, harder still to convince them to get a game we could exchange data with or play together, and even harder to find the time to do it... and we're both HUGE Zelda fans, so her missing out on this because of a faulty 3DS that Nintendo has in their possession right now is irksome. I want to play the game with her!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Trishbot said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Trishbot said:
AGREED!

But that's just it. I already HAVE it. She doesn't. And when the "free period" ended last time, the game did not go on sale... it just flat out DISAPPEARED entirely so nobody could even pay for it.

It's hard enough getting a friend with a 3DS to street pass with me, harder still to convince them to get a game we could exchange data with or play together, and even harder to find the time to do it... and we're both HUGE Zelda fans, so her missing out on this because of a faulty 3DS that Nintendo has in their possession right now is irksome. I want to play the game with her!
You might be able to copy the game over to another SD card. I've swapped out the SD card on my 3DS for a bigger one, files and all before, no problem. Worth a try, anyway.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
An accurate representation of how I feel right now as an Australian.

I was really pumped to play this game once I read the article but now I just want to cry.
I can't even purchase it.
I hate Australia...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Dead Century said:
You might be able to copy the game over to another SD card. I've swapped out the SD card on my 3DS for a bigger one, files and all before, no problem. Worth a try, anyway.
Tried it. Nintendo locks the data to a system, not an account. To use any data you have to literally transfer your entire account from one system to another, and it wipes the old system entirely to prevent anything from being copied. It didn't recognize my friend's system as "authorized" to use MY data, thus it didn't work, and I'm not savvy enough to hack it open and bypass that.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Trishbot said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Trishbot said:
AGREED!

Okay, that's just dumb. Like, incredibly dumb. I figured it was free for a limited time and then cost $10 or something the rest of the time. If it's only available when it's free, they really should just leave it that way permanently.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Chimpzy said:

I am from Brazil and the game was completly free for me...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Neronium said:
Chimpzy said:
Why does Nintendo, and for that matter most of the gaming industry, seem to hate Europeans? I mean, it also affects Australians as well, so why not make it worldwide?
I know, I don't really get it either. The UK has it to a lesser extent, but for the most part we tend to get shafted. Ok yeah, sometimes our version of a game gets some bonus dlc that would've been store-exclusive in NA. Whooptiedoo. I mean, I live in one the countries where the release of the Xbox One is still a question mark. I don't particularly want one, but it really rubs me the wrong way that there has been no news on a release date since the launch in the rest of the world.

Maybe it's because of all the different countries and languages, or some kind of European trade law shenanigans. Although it used to be much worse. At least now we get almost all of the games you guys get and roughly at the same time, give or take a few days to weeks.

Seriously, I could ***** about it for days on end.
Dead Century said:
I stand corrected, which unfortunately does nothing for my disappointment.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Neronium said:
Chimpzy said:
I know, I don't really get it either. The UK has it to a lesser extent, but for the most part we tend to get shafted. Ok yeah, sometimes our version of a game gets some bonus dlc that would've been store-exclusive in NA. Whooptiedoo. I mean, I live in one the countries where the release of the Xbox One is still a question mark. I don't particularly want one, but it really rubs me the wrong way that there has been no news on a release date since the launch in the rest of the world.

Maybe it's because of all the different countries and languages, or some kind of European trade law shenanigans. Although it used to be much worse. At least now we get almost all of the games you guys get and roughly at the same time, give or take a few days to weeks.

Seriously, I could ***** about it for days on end.
Dead Century said:
I stand corrected, which unfortunately does nothing for my disappointment.
Probably NTSC and NTSC-J only, maybe just NTSC. As far as I know there's only three regions for the 3DS, with PAL being the third one I didn't mention earlier. It's based on which countries used which TV standards in the 20th century, for some reason.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Chimpzy said:
Probably NTSC and NTSC-J only, maybe just NTSC. As far as I know there's only three regions for the 3DS, with PAL being the third one I didn't mention earlier. It's based on which countries used which TV standards in the 20th century, for some reason.
That might be at least part of the reason. If true, that annoys me even more, since as far as I know a PAL 3DS and a NTSC 3DS are effectively the same except for that seemingly arbitrary regional lock-out. Especially since all previous Nintendo handhelds did not have that limitation (except for DSiWare).

Although a Brazilian user on here managed to snag the game and they're part of the PAL region. It's confusing.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Chimpzy said:
That might be at least part of the reason. If true, that annoys me even more, since as far as I know a PAL 3DS and a NTSC 3DS are effectively the same except for that seemingly arbitrary regional lock-out. Especially since all previous Nintendo handhelds did not have that limitation (except for DSiWare).

Although a Brazilian user on here managed to snag the game and they're part of the PAL region. It's confusing.
Nintendo wiki puts Brazil in their NTSC region: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Regions

I'm guessing it doesn't match up to the real world standards, if Brazil was really a PAL country back in the day. For that matter France had SECAM instead of PAL or NTSC, and Nintendo just put them in the PAL region.

Edit: Not that I'm excusing the region locking, I find it as dumb as anyone, probably dumber than a lot of people. I'm just explaining some of the weirdness in which countries are and are not blocked.