Thor 3 Confirmed, Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle to Write

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Thor 3 Confirmed, Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle to Write

Marvel Studios has recruited Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle to write the third chapter in Thor's theatrical saga.

Marvel Studios currently has its hands full with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man, but this doesn't mean that Thor is taking a vacation. Right now, the hammer-swinging deity is slated to appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but Hollywood rumblings about a third Thor movie are already starting to surface.

Today, the folks at Variety are reporting that Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle have been drafted to write Thor 3. Yost was the primary writer on Thor's last theatrical outing, The Dark World, and frequently writes comics and cartoons for Marvel and DC. Craig Kyle, on the other hand, worked as a producer on the last two Thor movies, but has co-written several animated features and Marvel-published comics.

Yost and Kyle have a history of collaboration. Recently the duo wrote the script for Hulk Vs, a direct-to-video animated release from Marvel and Lionsgate. Plus, they co-wrote a slew of Wolverine and the X-Men episodes back in 2009.

Aside from Yost and Kyle, we don't know much about Marvel's plans for Thor 3. Right now, the studio's calendar is sufficiently full, so 2015 is probably the earliest that we can expect Thor's next solo adventure to hit the big screen.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/marvel-taps-craig-kyle-to-co-write-thor-3-with-christopher-yost-1201076954/]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
How about a new Hulk movie, Marvel? I know you guys love your Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, but what about the big green guy? Some of us have been patiently waiting for a new Hulk movie since the one starring Edward Norton back in '08.

There's plenty of bad guys left in his repertoire you can choose from, too. (The Leader, Red Hulk, anyone?)

Cradok

Aug 26, 2010
So... everyone dies horribly and Cyclops will appear so he can be told he sucks?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm hoping they'll topple the Portal fight from the last Thor. Although, I do think a new Hulk movie would be great. The last Hulk movie was actually my favourite Avengers movie (aside from the Avengers).

That whole pressure to not turn into Hulk was good story.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Depending on how they pull off Rocket Raccoon, we could end up with Beta Ray Bill in this one.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yay!
I really like the Thor movies.
Another one doesn't bother me at all!
Just keep it simple and over the top like the last ones.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Was this ever seriously in doubt though?

Not that I'm complaining, I love me some Thor. The Thor movies are my favourite Marvel movies at the moment (aside from Avengers). I'm a sucker for the blending of fantasy and superheroes/sci fi.

IIRC though, Loki won't be in this one. That's going to be... odd, seeing as how he consistently steals the show.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Eamar said:

Not that I'm complaining, I love me some Thor. The Thor movies are my favourite Marvel movies at the moment (aside from Avengers). I'm a sucker for the blending of fantasy and superheroes/sci fi.

IIRC though, Loki won't be in this one. That's going to be... odd, seeing as how he consistently steals the show.
Given how Dark World ended, I'm hard pressed to see how Loki WOULDN'T be in it. I don't know how to do spoilers here so I won't say anything else

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Given how Dark World ended, I'm hard pressed to see how Loki WOULDN'T be in it. I don't know how to do spoilers here so I won't say anything else
I know, I was shocked by that too, but the official line is that Loki won't be in Thor 3 or the next Avengers movie. I'm not sure I believe it, for the reasons you allude to, but for now that's what they're saying. *shrugs*

EDIT: Oops, I completely misread that. My bad! Ok, now I'm REALLY looking forward to Thor 3 :D

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Eamar said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
I know, I was shocked by that too, but the official line is that Loki won't be in Thor 3 or the next Avengers movie. I'm not sure I believe it, for the reasons you allude to, but for now that's what they're saying. *shrugs*

EDIT: Oops, I completely misread that. My bad! Ok, now I'm REALLY looking forward to Thor 3 :D
My best guess is that he will be killed in a post credits teaser by Thanos (Remember, Loki did essentially get his army killed and didn't give him the gem he was promised - he's got to be pissed off royally), as a way to up the stakes, set up Thanos as a major threat, all that good stuff.

Actually, due to his fangirls its more likely he'll just be captured by Thanos rather than killed outright, claiming something about "one such as you does not deserve deaths sweet embrace" or some shit.
Z of the Na said:
How about a new Hulk movie, Marvel? I know you guys love your Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, but what about the big green guy? Some of us have been patiently waiting for a new Hulk movie since the one starring Edward Norton back in '08.

There's plenty of bad guys left in his repertoire you can choose from, too. (The Leader, Red Hulk, anyone?)
How do you make a good Hulk movie? Hulk has no limits, he's an unstoppable force that just wails on his enemies until they are gone, so the only central conflict that can come about is about Banner fighting to control it. We';ve already seen that Banner has done that, so we've got no drama, no arc, no journey here.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Eamar said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:

I was about to say that the article didn't say anything about Loki not being in Thor 3 but you caught it before I could. Damn ninjas :p

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Z of the Na said:

Dammit, Ninja'd by first post.

I would love to see another Hulk Movie.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Not surprising at all. Of course there was going to be another Thor movie. You can't end it like that. These two writers sound pretty solid though. I was bored to tears with the first Thor movie, but the second one was amazing. Now my second favorite Marvel-but-not-Avengers movie, falling only behind Captain America.

Ah, Wolverine and the X-men...a good cartoon show that had real promise, and then up and died after one season. So sad...

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
How do you make a good Hulk movie? Hulk has no limits, he's an unstoppable force that just wails on his enemies until they are gone, so the only central conflict that can come about is about Banner fighting to control it. We';ve already seen that Banner has done that, so we've got no drama, no arc, no journey here.
Well well, I do wonder how did marvel managed to make hulk comics all these years.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Ruisu said:
Toadfish1 said:
Well well, I do wonder how did marvel managed to make hulk comics all these years.
Comics and TV are different than movies. Comics can end with the status quo being maintained, same with TV (Hulk made for a pretty great TV series). Movies need a conclusion, a change, a conclusion. The Joker needs to be locked up forever, The Lizard needs to be incarcerated, Zod needs to be dead, The Mandarin needs to be no more. That which was troubling the hero needs to be resolved.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
In a setup like the MCU, you can absolutely restore the status quo and call it a day.

That said, there's plenty of ways to make interesting challenges for the Hulk.

You could go the boring route and simply go for escalation (see: World War Hulk)

Or you could make it a character-driven piece, where the action takes a back seat to the character growth. Maybe have a story arc where Banner realizes that, sometimes, the Hulk is the correct solution. Or create a conflict that brute force can't solve, like, say, a megalomaniacal terrorist has implanted bombs in thousands of people (including some of Banner's friends/acquaintances) which are set to a deadman's switch connected to him, and he uses that to coerce Banner into working for him. That's the kind of situation where Hulking out does fuck all and would, in fact, be detrimental to the resolution of the conflict.

Etcetera, etcetera.

It's the same thing with Superman. If you say that there can't be meaningful conflict with the character, you're not being imaginative enough.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eamar said:
Well, everything has to be confirmed/announced at some point.

Z of the Na said:

I thought The Leader was in one of the Hulk movies. Though to be fair, I wiped out much of both movies from my mind.

Toadfish1 said:
Hulk's been whooped a few times in the comics, more than a few probably. I'm not really a big Hulk fan, but it'd be fun to see a movie full of HULK SMASH rather than Bruce angsting over controlling it.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Ruisu said:
Toadfish1 said:
Comics and TV are different than movies. Comics can end with the status quo being maintained, same with TV (Hulk made for a pretty great TV series). Movies need a conclusion, a change, a conclusion. The Joker needs to be locked up forever, The Lizard needs to be incarcerated, Zod needs to be dead, The Mandarin needs to be no more. That which was troubling the hero needs to be resolved.
The thing is, they don't. Marvel studios is getting really comfortable in keeping a status quo after every movie, even if they say things "changed" in Agents of Shield (tip, they didn't really, not in any relevant way).
Even if the threat of the day is dealt with, they'll just come up with another one, and there will probably no bigger consequences to the universe. You may say Iron Man 3 came up with some changes to that status quo (the mandarin was not one of them), but we all just know that won't really last. Tony Stark doesn't have a thing in his heart anymore? Can still use his suits like always. Gave up on the suits? Not really, that'll be hand waved in the next movie they need him. Even pepper with extremis was solved like it was nothing.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Ruisu said:
Toadfish1 said:
Ruisu said:
Toadfish1 said:
The thing is, they don't. Marvel studios is getting really comfortable in keeping a status quo after every movie, even if they say things "changed" in Agents of Shield (tip, they didn't really, not in any relevant way).
Even if the threat of the day is dealt with, they'll just come up with another one, and there will probably no bigger consequences to the universe. You may say Iron Man 3 came up with some changes to that status quo (the mandarin was not one of them), but we all just know that won't really last. Tony Stark doesn't have a thing in his heart anymore? Can still use his suits like always. Gave up on the suits? Not really, that'll be hand waved in the next movie they need him. Even pepper with extremis was solved like it was nothing.
Thor 2 ends with Loki having murdered Odin and assumed the throne for himself - how can you possibly say that's not a big change?

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Thor 2 ends with Loki having murdered Odin and assumed the throne for himself - how can you possibly say that's not a big change?
Where did you get this from? All that ending shows is that Loki is alive, and managed to trick Thor in a small talk. He doesn't have nearly enough power to murder Odin or take the throne just with illusions. That's not a big change, that's a tease, a bait. Comic books do plenty of that all the time.