Amazon UK Confirms PS4 Gap Over Xbox One is "Quite a Big One"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Amazon UK Confirms PS4 Gap Over Xbox One is "Quite a Big One"

Amazon UK's Ketu Patel claims the Xbox One has a "lot of catching up to do" to the PS4, and thinks Titanfall will help close that gap.

Following yesterday's <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131923-Tomb-Raider-PS4-Sales-More-Than-Double-That-of-Xbox-One-In-UK
">news that the PlayStation 4 version of Tomb Raider:Definitive Edition sold more than twice compared to its Xbox One counterpart in the UK, Online retailer Amazon UK's "category leader of videogames and software" Ketu Patel weighs in on the next-gen console war. While the exec applauds Microsoft for snatching exclusivity with EA's Titanfall, and calls it a "big coup," he states that the PS4 gap over the Xbox One in terms of sales is "quite a big one," and that Microsoft has "lots of catching up to do."

[Titanfall] will be a big driver. I think Microsoft have got themselves a big coup there in negotiating that with EA. It will help close the gap, but personally speaking I think that gap is quite a big one at the moment. There's a lot of catching up to do

On the hardware front and how it performs on its online storefront, Patel notes that the PS4 is still the company's number one best seller, while the Xbox One is somewhere in the top five, and based on that, "obviously one console has outperformed the other."

If you look at our bestsellers chart PS4 always has been, and still is, our number one best seller...Xbox One will fall somewhere within the top five. Obviously one console has outperformed the other generally and we probably confirm that split between the two.

While the PS4 is the technically superior console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130807-PlayStation-4-Outsells-Xbox-One-By-Two-to-One-On-eBay] out of the two?

Source: EDGE [http://www.edge-online.com/news/amazon-uk-on-the-next-gen-race-nintendos-plight-microconsole-rumours-and-accidental-leaks/]

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Alex Co said:
Online retailer Amazon UK's "category leader of videogames and software" Ketu Patel weighs in on the next-gen console war.
Next-gen consoles will be the ones after ps4/xbone, they are current gen not next gen how is it so hard for people to grasp, we are not living in the future after all so how can we be a in a generation which is yet to begin.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
NickBrahz said:
Alex Co said:
Online retailer Amazon UK's "category leader of videogames and software" Ketu Patel weighs in on the next-gen console war.
Next-gen consoles will be the ones after ps4/xbone, they are current gen not next gen how is it so hard for people to grasp, we are not living in the future after all so how can we be a in a generation which is yet to begin.
The next gen is not yet the standard. It's only a few months old. Most people that own a console still own a PS3 or a 360. Once the first price drop occurs those people tend to go out and buy the console. Certainly by christmas this year no one will call the Xbone or PS4 nextgen.

OT: I think Xbone is losing the console race because it's coming out party made it out to be the first Dystopian future approved console, and Sony came off as familiar and friendly and of course slammed Xbone at E3. I don't think people have forgotten that. I certainly won't when I decide to actually buy a next gen console.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
NickBrahz said:
Alex Co said:
Because the majority of people, like myself, still have the "current" gen of consoles and haven't moved over yet and games are still available for 360/PS3/Wii. Once they stop making and releasing games for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 THEN we can finally all come together and say PS4 and Xbox ONE are current gen.

Back to topic, The UK has been Playstation friendly since the first console and many people are just use to the system and controls. Also the price plays a big part into it as well and the Kinect is a pain in the arse.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I love how careful he's being circumventing the NDA's with the whole 'If you look at our bestsellers chart PS4 always has been, and still is, our number one best seller...Xbox One will fall somewhere within the top five. Obviously one console has outperformed the other generally and we probably confirm that split between the two.'

That last line is a work of genius.
Alex Co said:
Sales-wise, is this a case of people being loyal to the PlayStation brand, or mostly due to word of mouth that the PS4 is the technically superior console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131661-Microsoft-PS4-vs-Xbox-One-1080p-60fps-Differences-Pretty-Minor] out of the two?
I don't think it can be the first. I'm pretty sure the UK has traditionally been one of the only countries in Europe that preferred the 360 over the PS3. We tend to follow US culture a lot and of course we share Microsoft's home-language advantage. The news about the UK has been showing that the Xbox has lost ground where it used to be strong.

I doubt the second reason is the biggest contributor, although it probably helps, it didn't help with the PS3 which had the same reputation amongst the general public.

I think it's a question of price and momentum. Price can't be all the answer because the demand shortage is causing retailers to up the prices on a PS4 and it's still outselling the Xbox, but it helped. That combined with the huge PR success of the PS4 has made it look like the console which is winning and more desirable. When the choices are so similar, that's probably enough

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I doubt the second reason is the biggest contributor, although it probably helps, it didn't help with the PS3 which had the same reputation amongst the general public.

I think it's a question of price and momentum. Price can't be all the answer because the demand shortage is causing retailers to up the prices on a PS4 and it's still outselling the Xbox, but it helped. That combined with the huge PR success of the PS4 has made it look like the console which is winning and more desirable. When the choices are so similar, that's probably enough
I mostly agree. The majority of consumers won't know and probably won't care about any power differential between the two systems (outside of any basic PR that gets pushed by Sony in this case). Price is probably going to be a large factor as well, you're right.

Penny Arcade brought up a good point in one of their podcasts, though, and that's the fact that "hardcore" gamers (meaning those who keep themselves informed with this insider baseball shit), will probably know and care about a power differential. And they're more likely to be early adopters and trend setters for their friends. It's difficult to tell the extent to which that happens, but that sort of ties into momentum, which is what you said. So I'm just elaborating, I guess. What I'm trying to say is that technological superiority may have given the PS4 the momentum of which you speak.

But that's all slightly baseless speculation and guesswork anyway.

At any rate, yes, the PR battle helps a lot. I remember Sony came out rather arrogant during the PS3 launch, rather similar to Microsoft this time around. Could be that's all it takes to lose a launch battle.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Alex Co said:
is this a case of people being loyal to the PlayStation brand
Brand loyalty really does not exist in the UK, the only "brand" people are loyal to in the UK is sport teams (mostly football).

The PS2 was dominant 2 gens ago and 360 was dominant last gen.

Why? Simply because they were the overall better console.

PS4 is winning because at the moment anyway it is the overall better of the two, it's cheaper, it's technically slightly superior (which isn't a big thing) and they did not fuck up yet (like Microsoft did).

It's too early to judge on games and service at moment, last gen they were more or less equal on game but xbox live was better than PSN (especially since it never had massive security fuck ups).This gen we will have to wait and see.

The XBone could still turn it around if they beat out PS4 on games and service and equalize the price gap. Which would put them into the overall lead.

However since people have already bought PS4 over 360 they might find it extremely difficult to sell Xbones to already PS4 owners, as you typical family would only ever buy one console. Only core gamers ever buy multiple, but even that was when they were much cheaper, £1000 is a bit excessive for two consoles.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
Why the fuck are people so excited for TitanFall? I don't get it. I DON'T GET IT!
Jet packs, giant robots, multi level maps, cool design, and a few rather innovative ideas like when the game ends the losers have to get back to the drop ship while the winners gun down the retreating forces. I can see why some people would like it, and I myself am interested in picking up the 360 version. Limited to 6v6 though...that's a bit of a problem. That might even be a deal breaker for me. I mean come on. The PS4 is getting a port of freaking Planetside 2, Titanfall couldn't even get up to 16v16 on the Xbone? I'd even be happy with just 12v12 or 10v10. 6v6 is good for small matches, but I kinda like mine bigger. Oh yeah, and then there's the fact that it's probably going to be full price 60 dollar retail for multiplayer only. Another deal breaker. Added with the 6v6 cap...that's a nasty combo.

So yeah, people are hyped for it because it looks cool...on the other hand, I can very easily see why you're not interested.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think at its heart it is price and performance. That whole 1080p thing. People are less likely to pay an extra $100 for a console that doesn't hit top end graphics and instead bundles in the creepy NSA spy device that absolutely no one wants.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Price, hardware performance, and history of high-quality exclusive games are why I chose Sony. Don't know about brand loyalty. If Sony didn't produce high-quality exclusive games this generation and Microsoft did I might very well change next generation given the same parameters. Brand loyalty for the brand's sake is for chumps. Product loyalty based on actual performance of the company is reason-based.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Why the fuck are people so excited for TitanFall? I don't get it. I DON'T GET IT!
I don't get it either, and honestly exclusives are about the worst argument for getting a specific console, that and the fact that Titanfall isn't an exclusive.

6 v 6 matches with bots and contextual parkour doesn't really interest me. That said I'm playing less and less shooters as I get older anyways. If anything I find myself drifting from multiplayer and more towards singleplayer games.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Adam Jensen said:
I know! people keep treating it like the second coming even though while the idea is great the execution sounds awful.

A $60 game online only game that is only usable if you pay for Xbox live and while Respawn are saying no micro-transactions it's a Microsoft exclusive EA published game and we have heard developers say no micro-transactions before with them then being added by EA later.
It's Call of Duty but with Mechs and jet packs. What's hard to get? We know people like COD. The ps3 and 360 versions each held a space in the top 5 most sold games of the year for something like the past 4-5 years and the same versions land in the top 30 again the year after while their successors sit on top. Do I need to take a survey to find out whether or not games like controlling mechs or using jetpacks?

I'll finally be glad I bought that 360 a year ago to sit next to my ps3. It certainly isn't worth getting an XBO. But it should be a lot of fun.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
i thought the same until about 2 weeks ago, looking up the gameplay footage. instantly i was reminded of unreal tournament meets cod4/MW2, and that just seems awesome. i'm on PC though, so i'm gonna wait for the reviews to come in first, and the reports of how well it actually runs before i get it.

although as cool as it sounds, the way it's talked about does make it sound like every copy comes with a free jetpack, £1000 spending money and a ticket to see jesus' second coming...

Longeye

Aug 3, 2012
Interesting distinction, but I'm still not buying either of them until they bring out a game they hold hostage to the system. However if the PS4 does have that backwards emulating stuff that's rumoured then it will outright win in days. I know I, for one, will have 5 or so ;)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Titanfall's great and I'm sure it will definitely sell consoles. HOWEVER, I'm really waiting for Halo 5. If it turns out to be epic. If 343 turns around, gets their crap together and releases something to blow us away... That will do more than bring the Xbox back into its position of superiority it once had. Something I don't think Titanfall will be capable of doing.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Adam Jensen said:
Yeah it doesn't look that ground breaking. Looks like it'll be somewhat fun initially, but that will wear off soon. So far, the only vehicles in the game are dropships and, of course, the Titans. Also, if I remember, it's only 6 versus 6 (not including bots). Seems like it'll get stale pretty fast. I don't see how it could contend with Battlefield 4. Dice botched its launch, but they're now finally getting the game to a rather stable condition.

If something is able to save the Xbox One, it won't be Titanfall.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
synobal said:
honestly exclusives are about the worst argument for getting a specific console,
lulwut? Exclusives are by far the best argument for getting one console over another. They're the biggest point of difference between consoles.