Little Mac Joins Super Smash Bros. 4 As a New Fighter

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Little Mac Joins Super Smash Bros. 4 As a New Fighter

If any Nintendo character is suited for a role in its mascot brawler Super Smash Bros., it's Punch-out's Little Mac.

Nintendo has announced a brand new character that will be joining its upcoming mascot brawler, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS, and unlike some of the other new fighters, this one actually makes sense. Little Mac, the star of puzzle game disguised as boxing game Punch-out, will be punching his way into the brawl when the game releases this year.

The accompanying trailer shows Mac preparing for his entrance with an epic training montage, before finally making his appearance and showing that smug b-word Samus that size doesn't matter. We see him holding his own against all of Smash Bros. crazy and wacky characters with their lazer beams and missiles and guns, which just goes to show, sometimes the best solution to a problem is to punch it.

[gallery=2096]

The trailer also shows Mac's final smash, which appears to be some kind of mega bulk up transformation, as well as hinting at a new mechanic unique to him. There's a "K.O" meter just above his health percentage, that when he fills up, he can use it to unleash a massive smash attack, just like in the Punch-out games.

Little Mac first made his appearance in the original Punch-out arcade games. He had a game on the NES and the SNES, and then pretty much lay dormant until the surprisingly good Wii remake (also titled Punch-out).

In between fitness trainers and Mario Galaxy background NPCs, I was starting to think Sakurai was losing his marbles, but now it looks like he has made a sound decision. I don't think anyone will be protesting the inclusion of Little Mac in Super Smash Bros!

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Never heard of this character before, but he seems like something different, and he fits with the theme, so I'll give him a pass. After-all, wouldn't be an SSB game without a few obscure Nintendo characters no-one's ever heard of right?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
JoJo said:
Never heard of this character before, but he seems like something different, and he fits with the theme, so I'll give him a pass. After-all, wouldn't be an SSB game without a few obscure Nintendo characters no-one's ever heard of right?
Mike Tyson's Punch Out really isn't obscure :p

OT: This is probably the one Nintendo character who deserved to be in the series since the start, I mean, out of all of them he's an actual fighter, glad to see him here.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
JoJo said:
Never heard of this character before
I...hwua...whaaat? *head melts due to inability to comprehend*

There's still people in gaming communities who haven't heard of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!? JoJo, you have no idea what you've missed out on. You need to nab a copy of Punch-Out!! - Either get the original NES cart (the Mike Tyson one, not the Mr. Dream version that later replaced it) or buy it though VC, or the get the Wii reboot. Not to mention that it has one of the hardest bosses in gaming history at the end...

OT: Yeah, it's kind of a given that he'd become a playable character at one point. He might have been an Assist Trophy in Brawl but given his experience and background with fighting and boxing, in reality it's only fitting to make him an actual choice.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
In these kind of crossover games, losing your marbles is practically mandatory. Best to go nuts to add some variation to things.

Anyway, looks like I found another character to play as. Practically every fighting game should have a boxer-type character and Little Mac looks like he's filling that void well. The KO gauge he has and his armored moves look like they'll make him pretty deadly in the right hands

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
In between fitness trainers and Mario Galaxy background NPCs, I was starting to think Sakurai was losing his marbles, but now it looks like he has made a sound decision. I don't think anyone will be protesting the inclusion of Little Mac in Super Smash Bros!
Me thinks you don't realize that Smash Bros. has ALWAYS been about putting in characters that aren't made for your average fighter. Sakurai has even stated on several occasions that he tries to look for characters that aren't really meant for fighting games because they have potential for more unique movesets and interesting playstyles.

That's why we have the likes of Captain Falcon, Zelda, Olimar, Fox/Falco, Kirby. It makes almost no sense to have characters like this is a fighting game (Race Car Driver, Princess, Fairly Passive Astronaut, Pilots, and a Puffball). So I don't see why the decision of having Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are so bizarre. Personally I'm looking forward to those two, while Little Mac seems boring.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Corporate Mac is back, and the Youngblood Era begins!

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays compared to some of the others. I get the impression he'll handle in a similar fashion to Falcon, but time will tell.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Frozengale said:
That's why we have the likes of Captain Falcon, Zelda, Olimar, Fox/Falco, Kirby. It makes almost no sense to have characters like this is a fighting game (Race Car Driver, Princess, Fairly Passive Astronaut, Pilots, and a Puffball). So I don't see why the decision of having Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are so bizarre. Personally I'm looking forward to those two, while Little Mac seems boring.
It's seemed to me that the roster has always operated on the "You Know What Would Be Cool" principle.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, I bet a lot of people are happy.
Good for them.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Punch Out!! because I never played the original game or the remake, but look forward to giving Little Mac a shot. I wonder if his height will give him a huge advantage in the game.

On a side note, I think the Smash Bros trailers are really, really good. They actually got be excited for the Wii Fitt Trainer for crying out loud and they pretty much did the same for me and Little Mac.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Yes! This is awesome, I always thought he'd be cool in this series. Now if only they put skull kid in, I could die a happy man.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Would trade ganondorf for skull kid easily

His final smash could be the moon dropping like in majoras mask

64bitgamer

Oct 29, 2009
Now that's a pretty cool idea. It seemed strange, until you consider Pit got in brawl and at the time, he only had a single game that was two decades old. It's a pretty big upgrade from a support character.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
I wonder if Saki from Sin and Punishment has a chance of getting in. He was a Smash Trophy as well.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Dexterity said:
Hopefully we get more new characters like this. I'm praying they make Lyndis from Fire Emblem a character (another former Smash Trophy). I'd love a character who revolves around battojutsu and fencing.

I hope we don't get a ton of same franchise characters this time around. I especially hope they cut out the Fox clones and half of the Kirby cast. Removing King Dedede,...
Just a heads up that King Dedede has already been confirmed. No telling about the other guys though.

Personally I just want characters with different move sets, I don't care if they are for the same franchise. Prying that Pokemon Trainer will be back if only because he was so different.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Jesus that Giga Mac transformation is frightening. He looks like he's going to bite pikachu in half!

I'm hyped as all hell for this though. I wanted little Mac back in brawl, and what I got.. a little disappointing (even though he was an amazing assist) Now they just need to add Paper Mario, a Warioware Character, and replace Ike with Chrom and all my predictions will come true!