Gearbox: "We Are Not Working on Borderlands 3"

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Gearbox: "We Are Not Working on Borderlands 3"

According to Gearbox head Randy Pitchford, the studio is instead working on properties including Homeworld and new, unannounced IPs.

In a lengthy interview with Polygon, Randy Pitchford, leader of Gearbox, said that his teams' current projects do not include another sequel to shooter-looter hit Borderlands. "We are not working on Borderlands 3," he said. "That is unqualified. We have more to do in the franchise, but no there isn't a Borderlands 3." Gearbox will make another entry eventually, but their hands are currently full with other projects, he said.

For the time being, work on the Borderlands franchise is being done by Telltale Game and their adventure series spin-off, Tales of the Borderlands, which was announced <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130326-Telltale-and-Gearbox-Teaming-Up-for-Episodic-Borderlands>this past December. When Telltale approached Gearbox about the idea for the game, Pitchford, a fan of the studio's work on The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, said he jumped on board immediately. "I couldn't say yes fast enough," he said. "It's been a lot of fun working with those guys ... I think they're better storytellers than we are, frankly."

One property Gearbox is currently focusing on is Homeworld, the rights to which the studio <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123447-Gearbox-Snags-Homeworld-Rights>acquired last year. Gearbox is currently working on fully remastered versions of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 that will be released on digital platforms. "They'll come soon, hopefully. We'll announce a date soon," Pitchford said.

Gearbox also met with Blackbird Interactive, made of former Homeworld staffers, and spoke with them about their current game intended to be a spiritual successor to the Homeworld franchise. This led to Gearbox deciding to finance and publish their game as Homeworld: Shipbreakers. Pitchford did not yet have a release date for the game.

Pitchford also revealed that Gearbox is currently working on two all-new intellectual properties for next-gen systems. One of them seems to be based on a project formerly known as Brothers in Arms: Furious Four, which was envisioned as an over-the-top WWII shooter with similarities to the film Inglourious Basterds.

The idea proved too crazy for the Brothers in Arms franchise, so Gearbox broke it off into its own IP. That project became an entirely new game, which Gearbox will announce when its ready, Pitchford said.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/14/5411514/borderlands-3-homeworld-new-gearbox-software-games>Polygon

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
This makes me pretty happy. BL2 is still trucking heavily along, and I like their "sequels need to have a few years in between them to really breath" approach.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I like their "sequels need to have a few years in between them to really breath" approach.
Ditto.

Plus with how Borderlands 2 ended, I fully expect the next entry to be...
...an MMO.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good. We don't need Borderlands to become an annual release. Borderlands 2 is a long game with lots to do. A new IP is more exciting news to me.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
josemlopes said:
I would be happier if they said that they werent working on Borderlands 2 anymore.
They have sort of said that elsewhere, they announced they have one last Headhunter Mission (the 5th) being released in April and they are done making content for the game.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
While I'm happy that the Homeworld IP isn't dead, I can't bring myself to be anything more than cautiously optimistic at best. I certainly won't be buying anything Day-1, despite my fondness for Homeworld. Gearbox's treatment of my beloved Aliens universe has drastically reduced my faith in them.

And with all the raving Pitchford did in interviews leading up to the Colonial Marines launch over things that turned out to be complete and utter bullshit, his words have practically no value to me pre-launch anymore. With his position, he would have known exactly what state that game was in.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Dang, I really do like me some Borderlands, but by the sound of this, there is probably not going to be a new Borderlands for at least another 2 years or so. I understand that they want to work on new IPs, but turning their backs on one of/ their most successful franchises seems like a risky move to me.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
And I was hoping for some news on Colonial Marines 2. I guess we'll just have to wait.

In the rizzle fo' shizzle: I'm glad they are giving the franchise a break (even if they have been releasing DLC) so it doesn't get as stagnant as the annual installment franchises. Still, it's been long enough since launch that I'm kind of interested in something new from Borderlands. I guess the Telltale game is what we get to pass the time with.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Of course they aren't. They're just about to launch Borderlands 2 on the Vita and already announcing Borderlands 3 would water that down over time.

However, this just sounds like the game they make isn't going to be "Borderlands 3". Perhaps another world or some such scenario in the Borderlands universe? Don't know, don't care as long as they keep making fun stuff.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
"We're not working on Borderlands 3." Note they didn't say Borderlands 2 DLC. MORE BORDERLANDS 2 DLC CONFIRMED!! I am legitimately excited for this! Oh and I hope their new games aren't Colonial Marines. That game sucked.

(See I can do it too, Half-Life fans. It's not that impressive. I'm just kidding, love you peeps.)

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
I'm ok with this. They need to give borderlands a break for a few years, especially after the mountain of DLC they've released for BL2. Might even give them a chance to figure out where to set BL3 next that's not Pandora...

Still waiting for TellTale's BL game :D

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Calling it now, Borderworlds (or equally silly name). MMO, vault hunting expanded (the cast recruit new player hunters after the end of 2). Recently started pre-production. Out 2016. Announcement late this year or Q1-2 next year.

Because they really like money.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
That honestly all sounds great but it's a long way from making up for Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem which to be fair to Duke Nukem no was really expecting that game to be good and it at least was recognizable gameplay wise to it's promotional unlike Colonial Marines which was just lies on top of lies. No one should forget about those games when Gearbox talks big future plans and promises.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sad that they're not actively working on Borderlands 3. Then again, I haven't even beat Borderlands 2 yet, so not too big of a loss. I'm just curious to find out where the story is going.

Agreed that Telltale is probably a better storytelling company. The story in the first game was...pretty poorly put together. The DLC stories were much better, and B2 is pretty solid, but I still feel like the story could use more polish. It will be interesting to see what Telltale does.

That's right, these guys made Brothers in Arms...Hey! Where's the third game? I remember being promised snow by a ghost at the end of Hell's Highway. Where is my snow? I miss that series. I miss World War II in general actually.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scorpid said:
That honestly all sounds great but it's a long way from making up for Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem which to be fair to Duke Nukem no was really expecting that game to be good and it at least was recognizable gameplay wise to it's promotional unlike Colonial Marines which was just lies on top of lies. No one should forget about those games when Gearbox talks big future plans and promises.
Contrary to what you think, Gearbox can be forgiven for Duke Nukem Forever. Most of it had already been done by 3D Realms. And when they lost the rights to that game to 2K, it was then given to Gearbox, who might have made something good out of it, if 2K wasnt more interested in finally seeing a return on its 11-year investment.

As for Colonial Marines, given that this game was at one point cancelled then later uncancelled due to fan demand, i believe the root of the problem that would produce A:CM started there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
This makes me pretty happy. BL2 is still trucking heavily along, and I like their "sequels need to have a few years in between them to really breath" approach.
I'm more of a fan of their "we only make good games when siphoning off other projects" approach.