Just Who The Hell Is Deathlok?

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Just Who The Hell Is Deathlok?

What you need to know about Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s new cybernetic antihero, Deathlok

Read Full Article

The

Jan 24, 2012
Ah. Misread it as Dethklok.
http://www.punknews.org/images/bands/dethklok-1343312534.jpg

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
As long as I know that he'll eventually be saved and a good guy again, I'm happy. That was my biggest worry when he got captured and turned into Deathlok. I had no idea who the character was, so as the article said, I went and asked someone who he was.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
Me too LOL. Could be cool, still should have ben luke Cage, but he's gettimg a cartoon so I guess I get the decision.
I thought that was a live action deal with Netflix?

OT: A character whose basics are solid but background is so varied that you could pretty much do whatever you want so long as you keep the basics? It's like the character was built for an adaptation.

I don't think Harlan Ryker is the Clairvoyant. If his bio is any indication, he seems more like a contractor who would work for the Clairvoyant on a necessary cog, and uses the prototype field testing to do insert-evil-plot-likely-resulting-in-wet-work plan. He may also be someone in the SHIELD science division (lord knows they aren't above this kind of stuff) who is working with CENTIPEDE due to money and field testing possibilities (possibly even sanctioned by SHIELD brass).

Think about that: SHIELD has the technology to bring people completely back from the dead, so his project would be generally useless in SHIELD, but it's clear that the cybernetics are probably more durable and lethal than the zombie/clone, like the difference between Tony Stark with and without the suit (in the movies). Yeah, the brain is the same, but you can graft a cannon onto a cyborg...

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Gentleman said:
Me too LOL. Could be cool, still should have ben luke Cage, but he's gettimg a cartoon so I guess I get the decision.
I thought that was a live action deal with Netflix?

OT: A character whose basics are solid but background is so varied that you could pretty much do whatever you want so long as you keep the basics? It's like the character was built for an adaptation.

I don't think Harlan Ryker is the Clairvoyant. If his bio is any indication, he seems more like a contractor who would work for the Clairvoyant on a necessary cog, and uses the prototype field testing to do insert-evil-plot-likely-resulting-in-wet-work plan. He may also be someone in the SHIELD science division (lord knows they aren't above this kind of stuff) who is working with CENTIPEDE due to money and field testing possibilities (possibly even sanctioned by SHIELD brass).

Think about that: SHIELD has the technology to bring people completely back from the dead, so his project would be generally useless in SHIELD, but it's clear that the cybernetics are probably more durable and lethal than the zombie/clone, like the difference between Tony Stark with and without the suit (in the movies). Yeah, the brain is the same, but you can graft a cannon onto a cyborg...
You might be right about Ryker. Of course, I like my idea too! And the Clairvoyant is an established villainous presence they could easily have revealed as Ryker. My ego aside, your idea about Ryker being someone in SHIELD is interesting by the way, considering that so far Deathlok is forbidden from attacking SHIELD agents.

Either way, Ryker is traditionally Deathlok's arch enemy. I can't imagine they'll miss the chance to use him similarly here. Then again, we did just endure 12 episodes of Mary Sue Hacker Skye, so who knows if AoS will just do nothing.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Houseman said:
Using his Deathlok technology, he manages to keep his daughter alive. Eventually, his operation is disrupted by S.H.I.E.L.D. and his daughter is taken into the agency's custody.
Well now doesn't that sound like something that could be Skye's origins?
ARGH NOW MY BRAIN IS BROKEN. Er, dang, now I'm actually intrigued by Skye's story. Thanks jerk. :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's pretty obvious he wasn't going to be Cage. Netflix (I think it was) has secured the rights to most of the Heroes for Hire characters. Power Man (Luke Cage), Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones (Alias) which will apparently have their own series and then wind up crossing over into a team-up series called "Defenders" (which kind of irks me because "The Defenders" was a team lead by Doctor Strange, they should have gotten them together as "Heroes For Hire" or something, but that's a fairly mild gripe).

Given that the plan seems to be to have Agents Of SHIELD and the Netflix shows all taking place in the same "cinematic" universe, it didn't seem likely they would introduce Cage in SHIELD. Not to mention that Cage has a very specific story arc behind him and the origin of his powers, which is almost custom made for a TV show. See Cage was a guy who was framed for a crime and sent to prison (where he got tougher) before volunteering for an experiment that gave him powers in exchange for some of his sentence being commuted. Cage then escapes from prison and goes out after the guys who framed him. In comic book logic finding the guys that did it and proving he was innocent somehow scrubbed all of the other crimes (like escaping prison) but they can work around that.

I'm guessing that the route they are probably going to be going is to have Cage framed by the big bad and unexpectedly become a factor when he gets his powers, Jessica Jones will probably be investigating the guy from another angle, and they will probably tie the baddie into some kind of oriental mysticism to justify Danny Rand coming back from training to hunt the guy down with his fancy Shao-Lin powers. At some point all three of these characters will have their paths converge and realize they are fundamentally all looking for the same guy(s) and that's what "The Defenders" will be.

The point here being that Cage's origin is simple enough to be used for a lot of different things, so I didn't think they would want to mess with it, and then have to worry about regular crossovers with properties Netflix probably wants to keep in-house as much as possible, especially given that their shows will be on a private service, which means that if they suddenly derailed SHIELD into referencing these shows frequently (and having a character introduced on SHIELD head over there) anyone who isn't a Netflix member would probably blow a gasket.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Without knowing who deathlok was or caring too much about marvel comic universe, Agent of shield as a series is pretty mediocre. Is this series gonna get any better to non fanboys?

Jan 12, 2012
RossaLincoln said:
The Gentleman said:

You might be right about Ryker. Of course, I like my idea too! And the Clairvoyant is an established villainous presence they could easily have revealed as Ryker. My ego aside, your idea about Ryker being someone in SHIELD is interesting by the way, considering that so far Deathlok is forbidden from attacking SHIELD agents.

Either way, Ryker is traditionally Deathlok's arch enemy. I can't imagine they'll miss the chance to use him similarly here. Then again, we did just endure 12 episodes of Mary Sue Hacker Skye, so who knows if AoS will just do nothing.
Ryker could just be the guy behind this robo-mind control branch of Centipede. It fits into his ideas of cybernetic manipulation of subjects (implanting that x-ray eye, for one) and for messing with their free will. Maybe it's the first step in building a fully controlled cyborg, and only our heroes can stop his nefarious deeds.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
"Just who the hell is Deathlok?"

Considering they're still grossly over delaying Agents in the UK, he's a spoiler.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
ExtraDebit said:
Without knowing who deathlok was or caring too much about marvel comic universe, Agent of shield as a series is pretty mediocre. Is this series gonna get any better to non fanboys?
Even fanboys have been incredibly critical of this show. I myself gave up on it entirely, that is until the 12th episode, which was for the first time in series history actually good. I think if that episode indicates a new artistic direction - mainly, a more cinematic cinematography, better writing and jokes that actually land (that episode actually felt like a Whedon joint instead of a fan fiction version of a Whedon joint), a more natural looking color palette, actually decent fight choreography and so on - then they've clearly been listening to complaints and are seeking to reverse course.

Related to this, I do not believe for a second that the plan from the beginning was for Mike Peterson to become Deathlok. He had already been given lame Extremis-based super powers in the first episode, and I think the idea was some building out of that plot point from Iron Man 3. He was already super without the cybernetics and the suicide-switch implant. Now they've given him a completely new kind of super power, which almost supersedes the previous powers to the point of irrelevancy. I'm guessing that twist was a very recent idea, probably devised during the winter break in response to a ton of criticism.

TL,DR, the most recent episode feels very much like a retool. I think it has a chance of being a good show now.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I always thought Deathlok was a cool character. I have several issues of his solo series from the 90s. Zombie cyborg; it's hard to get better than that for a sci-fi horror nerd like myself. :D