BioWare Dragon Age: Inquisition Video Gives Us a Tour of the World

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
BioWare Dragon Age: Inquisition Video Gives Us a Tour of the World

BioWare has released a new video called "Discover the Dragon Age" that takes us on a tour of some of the locations RPG fans can visit in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Over on the official BioWare blog, the studio has released a new video for its upcoming debut next-gen game, Dragon Age: Inquisition, that gives us a look at the upcoming locales we'll be visiting once the RPG hits later this year. According to producer Cameron Lee, the trailer called "Discover the Dragon Age" highlights "only some of the locations you can choose to visit during your adventure. Each area in the video has its own realistic ecosystem with predators, prey, factions, and opportunities to expand your Inquisition."

Lee adds that the in-game world's population is based on "an emergent system that adjusts what you'll encounter based on how your actions tip the balance in the area." Examples of these include players seeing "towns attacked by bandits, deer fleeing from wolves, giants feeding on bears, and countless other scenarios."

Even if you're not a big of RPGs, what's shown in the trailer looks gorgeous -- though, it doesn't say which platform is being used to demo the vast areas. Hopefully, even if the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions won't look as nice, the PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions will. It's also worth mentioning that what's shown in the video is pre-alpha, and is a work in progress.

For more info on Dragon Age: Inquisition, you can watch this leaked video that shows us 30-minutes of shaky RPG goodness. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131003-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-and-Keep-Building-More-Emphasis-on-Strategy]

Dragon Age: Inquisition will hit the PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and Xbox One later this year.

Source: BioWare [http://blog.bioware.com/2014/03/06/discover-the-dragon-age/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Still can't get enough of those giant light beams shooting up toward the sky, can we.

Looks nice for what I assume is an open world. The design is still overly generic though.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
Oh wow look at those beautiful bullshots! yeah if this game even looks half as good visually as it does in this trailer I will eat my own foot.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
It remind me Skyrim with a good ENB and some mods...
I'm not saying it's bad but i can't stop thinking about how buggy the last EA games's were (i remember the incapacity to import a face from ME2 to 3; and it was never fixed). I just hope for them the game will be playable because even if it's shinny, a broken mess is a broken mess.

Edit: if my memory is correct, DAi will NOT be an open world.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/11/dragon-age-inquisition-isnt-open-world-is-multi-region-says-bioware/
It'll be more like BG2.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
I'm not saying it's bad but i can't stop thinking about how buggy the last EA games's were (i remember the incapacity to import a face from ME2 to 3; and it was never fixed). I just hope for them the game will be playable because even if it's shinny, a broken mess is a broken mess.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/11/dragon-age-inquisition-isnt-open-world-is-multi-region-says-bioware/
It'll be more like BG2.
Like every other Bioware game, at least from the recent installments. They don't seem to favor open world games (not that I can blame them at all)
OT:
Looks good. At least they're putting that Frostbite engine to use.

JazzJack2 said:
Oh wow look at those beautiful bullshots! yeah if this game even looks half as good visually as it does in this trailer I will eat my own foot.
It probably will if you own a good PC :p

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Hopefully the writing is up to par. The first game had tedious combat and iffy graphics, but the writing was superb. Even with a few cliches, the characters were fantastic, and the lore of the world fascinating. DA2 pooped on all of it for some easy money. Hopefully it's not like that again.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:

It'll be more like BG2.
What do you consider to be a bug free game if a facial import is something that you consider to make a game a broken mess? At least Mass Effect 3 was playable without the patches yes there were issues, but at the same time they didn't need to release a multi-gig patch on launch day either.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Oh its a next-gen game, i was under the impression it was coming out on xbone and ps4 ( and the superior platform that this video will be taken from, the PC) but i guess i was wrong looks like its out on the PS5 and next xbox silly me.

Still looks impressive i hope its good, i liked DAO and DA2 but i think that the second one was a bit weak when it came to setting. However the first one had far more interesting combat albeit a bit slow. Lets hope they get the balance in between the two and it turns out to be good.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
james.sponge said:
I think we all know fb3 can generate some nice landscapes, so can we get some gameplay please?
There is a 30min video posted in the article showing off what they had for combat six to nine months ago. There will be changes, but I doubt the "feel" will change a lot.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
Sanunes said:
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:

It'll be more like BG2.
What do you consider to be a bug free game if a facial import is something that you consider to make a game a broken mess? At least Mass Effect 3 was playable without the patches yes there were issues, but at the same time they didn't need to release a multi-gig patch on launch day either.
I think it's a mess when a fan can do a single little mod of less than 500 kb to fix the problem while developers argue that it's impossible... It's kind of a mess no ? Well, the whole EA PR for all their studios is a mess. You'll perhaps agree that anything said by Bioware since DA2 is to be taken with a lot of precautions.

And how many games since it were broken and rushed mess made by EA ?
In fact i don't care because IF i play it (lot of other games are coming too), it'll be after lot of reviews.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I don't give a damn for graphics, I don't really give a damn. I want the gameplay and story to rock, that's what I really am!~

Seriously, yeah it's pretty but I want Origin levels of tactical combat and world interaction. And one qualm I have: Why did they change the armor style of the dwarves? WHY!? They gave them fucking MOHAWKS on their helmet? Did Mr. T become a Paragon inbetween Inquisition and II?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
I think it's a mess when a fan can do a single little mod of less than 500 kb to fix the problem while developers argue that it's impossible... It's kind of a mess no ? Well, the whole EA PR for all their studios is a mess. You'll perhaps agree that anything said by Bioware since DA2 is to be taken with a lot of precautions.

And how many games since it were broken and rushed mess made by EA ?
In fact i don't care because IF i play it (lot of other games are coming too), it'll be after lot of reviews.
Fair enough, I was just wondering if you knew of any game that had their bugs fixed, for any game I have played has had something that was never fixed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Looks like Skyrim. Especially with that dragon at the end. Not that looking like Skyrim is a bad thing in my book. I'll admit, this may be the game that finally makes me want a PS4...

My only worry is the story. If the entire story is just about trying to stop the mage/templar war that rages now, I am going to be very, very, very disappointed. All that lore, all those races, all that stuff, wasted just to tell a civil rights/X-men story.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Sanunes said:
james.sponge said:
I think we all know fb3 can generate some nice landscapes, so can we get some gameplay please?
There is a 30min video posted in the article showing off what they had for combat six to nine months ago. There will be changes, but I doubt the "feel" will change a lot.
I watched that one, we need something new. This game is supposed to come out this year so it would be nice to learn something new about it.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
james.sponge said:
Sanunes said:
james.sponge said:
I watched that one, we need something new. This game is supposed to come out this year so it would be nice to learn something new about it.
I was reading on the BioWare forums that a lot of the combat isn't 100% locked down yet, so they don't want to show anything that might change, so that might be why they haven't shown any new combat videos yet.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
otakon17 said:
I don't give a damn for graphics, I don't really give a damn. I want the gameplay and story to rock, that's what I really am!~

Seriously, yeah it's pretty but I want Origin levels of tactical combat and world interaction. And one qualm I have: Why did they change the armor style of the dwarves? WHY!? They gave them fucking MOHAWKS on their helmet? Did Mr. T become a Paragon inbetween Inquisition and II?
Mr T is a paragon in everything by the function of being Mr T.

I will will stick to my strategy of hopefull guarded optimism for this game.

I'll still wait for a few reviews to come out before I buy though.

Unlike the Witcher, for whom I'm practically salivating to buy Day 1

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
It's a fine teaser I guess. Seems pretty superfluous since we already have a lengthy gameplay demo, though. I must say I am very much looking forward to this game.

alj said:
Oh its a next-gen game, i was under the impression it was coming out on xbone and ps4 ( and the superior platform that this video will be taken from, the PC) but i guess i was wrong looks like its out on the PS5 and next xbox silly me.
For marketing reasons the current generation is called "next-gen". It's better because it's in the future!

Anyway, since this is the case your joke isn't very funny and it just wouldn't do if we had people making the same bad joke on every article referring to 8[sup]th[/sup] gen games and/or systems for the next 8 years or so.