Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Watch Dogs Will Require Uplay on PC - Update

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok. Info on a new Borderlands game got leaked last night and this is what gets a news post?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Uh.....duh?

This is Ubisoft game. A major Ubisoft game. As in, a hopeful tent-pole franchise that Ubisoft can milk for the foreseeable future like they've done with Assassin's Creed.

The only thing that could be surprising about this news is if the game didn't require Uplay, regardless of storefront purchase...

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Uh.....duh?

This is Ubisoft game. A major Ubisoft game. As in, a hopeful tent-pole franchise that Ubisoft can milk for the foreseeable future like they've done with Assassin's Creed.

The only thing that could be surprising about this news is if the game didn't require Uplay, regardless of storefront purchase...
It is surprising because South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is another major Ubisoft title, did not require the service.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Not unexpected at all. They're not gonna backpedal on uPlay at this point, and it's actually not that bad a piece of software.
My only problem so far with uPlay is that the "Press B (360 controller) to exit uPlay" after closing a game, doesn't work if you're streaming a game through Steam.
Also, considering that many of today's AAA releases are based on console ports, which may not leverage your PCs specs 100%, the added overhead to run one or at most two game clients isn't that much of a deal.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm mostly just annoyed at how useless/pointless Uplay is, as opposed to it actually being bad software.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Doesn't matter how "not that bad" it might be; like Origin, Uplay is simply not going to get installed on my PC. I won't support companies like Ubisoft (or EA) while they try and force feed us excrement in the name of "convenience" when it's painfully obvious to all it's simply DRM and a marketing data gatherer (and a bloody obtrusive one at that). At this point, they can't even price themselves into my good books (not that they've really tried), it'll take multiple, public apologies and several years of them demonstrably having changed tack before I'll ever think about trusting them again.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
At least this time they warned us about the DRM beforehand and not a couple of days after the game got released, like they did with Rayman Legends.

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
Steam and UPoo DRM running at the same time, wont be long till we have others. next we will need Microsoft DRM in order to use DX.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this is...not surprising

annoying but at least they droped the notion of "always online"

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Vigormortis said:
Uh.....duh?

It is surprising because South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is another major Ubisoft title, did not require the service.
Stick of Truth was an odd duck, being a former property of THQ before its collapse and its IP holders still being the creators Matt and Trey.

If I remember right there was a court case involving Ubisoft's right to publish SoT post-purchase that was resolved somehow.

Also: Bugger.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If it is the retail version of the PC game than it having to use Uplay is fine since it isn't using Steamworks. The Steam version should just use Steamworks and nothing else. People should not have to log into two different accounts to play a game.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well this makes my purchase decision a hell of a lot easier, especially since I'd apparently have to build a new rig to run the game, now I'll just sit back and wait for Ubisoft to get their shit together and make Uplay decent and maybe just maybe pick up the game in 2-3 years time.

Now I don't mind Uplay as much but it's annoying since it sucks up my bandwidth like crack when downloading a game and doesn't let me use the internet for anything else (Steam and Origin don't do that at all for me) and at least I can externally place the install data from my friends PC's to mine and have Steam and Origin locate and acknowledge the files exist on my PC, Uplay doesn't even care when I do that, it wants me to download shit from scratch and I say fuck that noise and it's why I never bothered installing Ass Creed 3 and Far Cry 3.

To be honest I just wish all forms of DRM would pipe down or go away, this includes all 3 of them, not just 2.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i agree that when starting from steam that you are still forced to sign in on uplay as well. so far i only have AC revelations and liberation on steam and yes, it does connect to uplay,. personally not a really an issue with me since i do have an account since AC2 but still stupid for steam buyers.
still not 100% if i should get the game. i would get the retail version anyway.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uplay and its bullshit has made it impossible for me to play games twice now.

This is a major downside right here.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
Uplay and its bullshit has made it impossible for me to play games twice now.

This is a major downside right here.
How so? I am not advocating Uplay or anything, but for me UPlay was always in "install and forget, close after playing" category, it never gave me any trouble whatsoever

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Vigormortis said:
Uh.....duh?

On the other hand, South Park was mostly complete by the time THQ went tits up, and since it has no multiplayer components, like Rayman: Origins, it has no reason to utilize Uplay.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Way to encourage piracy there ubisoft well done, idiots. I was still lightly interested in this but now no way. If it was just to register it or something fine but not something you should have to run at the same time as steam.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
For a game about hacking the system and using it to your advantage... its like they're actively asking people to not get the game on launch.

I've 'tried' Uplay when I got Anno 2070 on steam. Hated it. It was a mess to begin with.

So I guess I'll wait a week or two before even considering to buy it - I'll need to hear some user feedback on how its working with steam.