Spielberg to Direct Adaptation of Roald Dahl's The BFG

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Spielberg to Direct Adaptation of Roald Dahl's The BFG

Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) is getting a live action film.

Director Steven Spielberg has committed to direct the live action adaptation of Roald Dahl's The BFG. The children's book tells the story of a young orphan, Sophie, who is befriended by the titular Big Friendly Giant. The adapted script is penned by Mellissa Mathison, whose previous work includes the script for Spielberg's classic film E.T.. Dreamworks acquired the rights to The BFG in 2011. With Spielberg now attached as director, filming will begin in 2015. The BFG is planned for a 2016 release.

Spielberg has been out of the director's chair since Lincoln in 2012. The 2015 start for The BFG leaves Spielberg room to direct another film. Development is currently underway on several projects for Spielberg to direct, including an unnamed Cold War picture starring Tom Hanks. Based on a true story, Hanks would star as James Donovan, an American attorney who negotiated the release of a downed spy plane pilot. Hanks has previously starred in several Spielberg films, including Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can. Scripts for two historical dramas are also in development (The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara and Montezuma), but neither script is complete. Spielberg has not announced which project would come before the Dahl adaptation.

Dahl's The BFG has had one other adaptation. An animated, made-for-TV movie was produced in 1989 in the UK. The popular children's book was first published in 1982, with illustrations by Quentin Blake. In the book, the Big Friendly Giant, whose job is to deliver good dreams to children, steals Sophie away one night. The giant comes from a fantastical land, where larger and much less kindhearted giants dwell. I'm excited to see another Dahl adaptation, especially in the capable hands of Spielberg. What do you think, could The BFG be as big a hit as E.T., Spielberg's other child-meets-fantastic-creature flick?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-direct-roald-dahl-699095]

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Man, this is childhood memories.

Fuck yeah, I'd watch this. With an optimistic mind, too, which is rare nowadays.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Heh, I remember this book, surprisingly dark in parts actually for a children's story, Dahl was always good at that. I hope this happens, I would be totally up for watching it :)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, i can see this working with Spielberg as a director. Certainly better than it would be if Tim Burton directed it. I'll keep my eye on this project and see how it shapes up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
This book was so insanely dark at some points. XD

I'd watch a Spielberg directed movie of it, though. Either the movie will be a masterpiece or an embarrassing dud.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Certainly better than it would be if Tim Burton directed it.
Aw Christ, just imagine... "Gee, I wonder who I should get to play the BFG? Wearing a stupid hat, and talking in a constantly shifting, ridiculous accent. Hmmmm, who indeed."

Anyway, good to see a behemoth like Spielberg behind a classic fairy tale for once. But I do wonder if he'll have the cojones to kill kids, or should I say, imply that kids are getting eaten. I remember in the animated movie, the other giants were bad motherfuckers.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Yeah, i can see this working with Spielberg as a director. Certainly better than it would be if Tim Burton directed it. I'll keep my eye on this project and see how it shapes up.
Ugh. He'd throw in some stupid sub-plot about the BFG having daddy issues, and let the Depp play him as a neurotic.

I loved this book as a kid. Hope Spielberg/DW can do it justice.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Oh wow. I haven't thought of this book in years. Glad Spielberg is the one to direct it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yay. Spielberg is one of the most consistently worthwhile directors out there, and quite possibly the best I could imagine for bringing a writer like Dahl to the screen.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Bernzz said:
Man, this is childhood memories.

Fuck yeah, I'd watch this. With an optimistic mind, too, which is rare nowadays.
Same here, took the words right out of my mouth. I hope it manages to capture that spirit of adventure and wonder that I associate with Spielberg in his earlier works.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Oh wow this takes me back!
Looking forward to Spielberg directing the child book on Titans before Titaaaaaaaaans were cool.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know, of out of the children book being made into live action/ cgi films, I'm ok with this one. In face I feel like it should of been done (live action as I do know the animated one) years ago.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Sseth said:
i thought it stood for "the big fucking guy" lol.
In a children's story? Even Dahl (who had a habit for sneaking dirty jokes all over the place... especially ones that required you read some of his non-children stuff to get them. look up "snozzberries" he only uses them twice in his entire career) even he wouldn't go that far.

Anyway...

huh... if this happens...

Spielberg + Roald Dahl...

this could be the first adaptation of Dahl's work that I'd be genuinely and unreservedly looking forward to since Tim Minchin's adaptation of Matilda.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I am actually okay with this.

Actually, yeah, this is one of the few upcoming adaptations that I am looking forward to.

The book is right up Spielberg's alley, and I loved Roald Dahl's books when I was younger(and I still do: they're quite well written without being patronising).

[small]These news made me want to go watch Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox again >.<[/small]