Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Cancelled

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Cancelled

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons has been cancelled before the game has even left its beta.

While it certainly wasn't X-Wing v. Tie Fighter, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130616-Disney-Announces-Star-Wars-Attack-Squadrons-With-Trailer-and-Screens>Star Wars: Attack Squadrons nonetheless looked like a new chance for fans of the beloved franchise to hop back into the cockpit of their favorite fictional fighter craft for a bit of of good old-fashioned dogfighting.

Sadly, it would now seem that the galaxy's prospective pilots may need to look elsewhere for to get their fix of galactic chaos as it's now revealed that development of the game is being cancelled. According to a post on its <a href=https://www.facebook.com/starwarsattacksquadrons>Facebook page, the game is being halted so that its resources can be funneled into other presumably higher priority Star Wars projects.

"We want to thank all of the fans who participated in the closed beta of Star Wars: Attack Squadrons," said the posting "After much consideration, we have decided to cease development so that we can focus on other Star Wars game experiences."

Attack Squadrons had been under development by the studio Area 52 and was going to be published by Disney Mobile as a browser based title boasting 16-player battles with three PvP modes including Free-for-All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
They're running out of Star Wars titles to cancel. Pretty soon, they're going to have to start coming up with new games just to can.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
What the hell? This is literally the first time I've ever heard of this game and -

"was going to be published by Disney Mobile as a browser based title"

Oh, that'll be why.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Can say I'm depressed about this. I saw the trailer when it was first announced. Now, I know it was a demo, and I know it's a mobile game, and I hope they were going to get better voice actors, but that trailer failed to impress me on any level. And I'm a huge X-Wing fan. I've been waiting for someone to make a straight up dog fighter game like the old X-wing one, so at the very least I was kind of hoping this would at least open the door. But I guess not yet.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Kinda sucks when a game gets canceled so late in it's production cycle, but man, so many things don't even get the chance of beta now-a-days.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Chaosian said:
Kinda sucks when a game gets canceled so late in it's production cycle, but man, so many things don't even get the chance of beta now-a-days.
That's what I was thinking. That's a pretty long wait to pull the plug on something...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
You know what I thought when I read this; More Jedi games. Don't get me wrong, I think Jedi are cool, but there is a hell of a lot more to Star Wars than just Jedi.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
008Zulu said:
You know what I thought when I read this; More Jedi games. Don't get me wrong, I think Jedi are cool, but there is a hell of a lot more to Star Wars than just Jedi.
Nope. Just Jedi, because without that, it's just pew pew space adventures in space.
Gotta shoehorn The Force in somehow or it won't stick out.

(I'm being very sarcastic; my favorite bits of Star Wars are where the Force/Jedi/Sith doesn't dominate the plot)

DennyC

May 24, 2014
As someone who played that Beta test, I can safely assure you that it was totally awful. It had very sensitive controls,literally move the mouse a micrometer and you make the jump to light speed at a 125 degree angle. It also truly held no real comeback OOMF (You know that feeling when you play something and stop, then want to play more and more of it?), it had one map and two ships with both of them being totally broken. It had a slow UI and fairly poor flight dynamics that wasn't helped by its god awful browser engine.

All in all, you weren't missing much.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Dragonlayer said:
What the hell? This is literally the first time I've ever heard of this game and -

Oh, that'll be why.
Yeah. And (probably) nothing of value was lost.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
They're running out of Star Wars titles to cancel. Pretty soon, they're going to have to start coming up with new games just to can.
Ahaha, I like this post.

What I don't understand is why nobody can recreate the awesomeness of the old X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games. I loved Tie Fighter back on my old PC and played the thing to death. Hell, why don't they just recreate the game but with updated graphics? If studios lack the creativity and competence to make a new game, surely they can just copy it and make it look prettier.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I don't care that this game was probably not very good, I will go play some Rogue Leader in defiance of this cancellation.

I want too see some wars fought between the stars, not another Lightsaber Twirling Pedestrian Wars.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
StewShearer said:
Attack Squadrons had been under development by the studio Area 52 and was going to be published by Disney Mobile as a browser based title boasting 16-player battles with three PvP modes including Free-for-All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.
Considering this I'm not broken up about it being canceled, in fact: Good riddance!

Tentheria

Apr 19, 2011
DennyC said:
As someone who played that Beta test, I can safely assure you that it was totally awful.
Whereas myself and many other people who received beta keys couldn't even play because the website was so hopelessly broken - click 'log in' and the entire site froze. After 2 weeks of no fix I just gave up, but all accounts were that the game was just awful.

Can't we give the Ace Combat guys a go at a proper X-Wing arcade flight game - I would prefer a real flight sim like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter obviously but the chances of that are just zero.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Tentheria said:
DennyC said:
As someone who played that Beta test, I can safely assure you that it was totally awful.
Whereas myself and many other people who received beta keys couldn't even play because the website was so hopelessly broken - click 'log in' and the entire site froze. After 2 weeks of no fix I just gave up, but all accounts were that the game was just awful.

Can't we give the Ace Combat guys a go at a proper X-Wing arcade flight game - I would prefer a real flight sim like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter obviously but the chances of that are just zero.
Frankly, you're best bet is probably just to wait until Star Citizen comes out. It's going to be moddable, and there will be a single player and private server multiplayer option, so you can bet you're sweet bottom there will be a Star Wars mod within a year of the game's release.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Dragonlayer said:

Oh, that'll be why.
I was pretty much going to say the same thing.

Judging from some of the other replies it sounds like no great loss.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Dragonlayer said:

Oh, that'll be why.
Ooo! Ooo! Maybe, it was so awesome that they decided to make a fully featured PC/Console game out of it and basically make it an all new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game!

...yeah, never going to happen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
We at Disney are proud to announce our upcoming line of Star Wars games, including new entries to the Rogue Squadron, Republic Commando, and Jedi Knight series. We have complete faith in Electronic Arts to publish aaaaaaaaand its gone.

I think I just gained a few Dark Side points. Perhaps this is EA's plan....

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
I think it could of been pretty good if it was fully made game like the old one. Not just same half assed browser game. Which graphically would of been the same as the old one.