Left 4 Dead: Arcade Edition's Four New Japanese Survivors Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Left 4 Dead: Arcade Edition's Four New Japanese Survivors Revealed

Of course, one of the new survivors in Japan-exclusive Left 4 Dead: Survivors is a Japanese schoolgirl.

Earlier in the month, Valve and Japanese arcade maker Taito announced that they would be bringing the iconic zombie shoot-em-up - Left 4 Dead, to Japanese arcades. In order to appeal more to the folks of Japan, the cast of the game has been changed from Left 4 Dead 1 and 2's members to a new group that hails from Japan. Of course, since the game is still utilizing the same maps (albeit, modified versions), from the original games, which are set in the United States, the story goes that thew four new survivors are Japanese residents vacationing in America when the outbreak hits.

The new heroes, which you can check out below, are (left to right) American bartender and ex-marine Jordan Blake (presumably from one of Japan's US military bases), university student Yusuke Kudo (who has a very "baseball player" look about him), half-American, half-Japanese tour guide Sara Kirishima and of course, high school student Hirose Haruka.

The cast is certainly a lot younger than we're used to, but given that Japanese gamers often prefer stories about young people growing up, it makes sense.

The Square Enix and Valve collaboration will hit Japanese arcades next weekend, though there's no word on if it will ever make it back to the US.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/23/left-4-dead-survivors-brings-a-new-team-to-japanese-arcades]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Give the modding community three days and we won't need a port to North America.
3 days, pfft, I say 24hrs at MOST, if it's not done already lol.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I was hoping for more outrageous hairstyles but eh. :/

Also, is the game's title a jab at Capcapom?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
hey, bring it to America, unless you somehow hate money and success.
This is valve your talking about, they ALREADY have money and success in excessive amounts

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, im sure you can have these mods for free. damn, you can already play as lara croft. should maybe play this game again. has been ages since i have played it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Why am i not surprised that at least one of the characters had to be a schoolgirl complete with the schoolgirl outfit.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I'm just gonna step in and pre-emptively shush anyone who makes a joke about the schoolgirl and the Smoker.

OT: Apart from said schoolgirl, I really like these designs. I'm a fan of simple and straightforward looks, which Valve is generally pretty good at. These guys certainly feel like L4D characters, but manage to get a bit of anime influence as well. Look at the second guy's chin. I hope that translates well to the actual in-game model. And I'm surprised there wasn't an arcade version of L4D before, it'd work brilliantly.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I was half expecting something like a Highschool of the Dead arcade game. That would be... bizarre, just like it's source material. The interplay of horrific gore and ridiculous fanservice was always kind of an odd one for me.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
I'm just gonna step in and pre-emptively shush anyone who makes a joke about the schoolgirl and the Smoker.
Damnit that's the first thing I thought of when I saw that one of the characters was a schoolgirl.

OT: No reason not to bring it to the rest of the world, a new Left 4 Dead would be welcome at this point.

Aug 1, 2010
I was immediately reminded of
For better or for worse.

I also find it kind of interesting and funny that for all the bitching us US gamers do about the "Generic white brown haired tough military American guy," the Japanese decided they wanted a Generic white brown haired tough military American guy.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009

Though maybe it's just me.

Trailer looks great, but my only issue is their lack of attempt to try and incorporate new features other than new characters, which you really get close to nothing out of.

You can't see your own; the map is always dark, so it'd be hard to see the others; but you do get new voices and personalities though, which is what set 2 apart from 1 at the end of the day.

Who knows, maybe it'll bring in a whole new air to the game.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Urgh76 said:
Yes, dear god yes. I was expecting the first Anime refrence to be brought up would be Highschool of the dead but this one just makes me so much happier.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
What an incredibly generic cast.

I mean, the original survivors were already pretty generic, but I guess I kinda got used to them and, well, they had some pretty defined personalities, especially the L4D2 cast.

This one... good grief, I didn't know japanese liked generic people on their games, wich kinda contradicts the fact that most people like generic dudes here too...

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!, I don't know what else to say! >.<'

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
zombiejoe said:
So, being an arcade game, how does the gameplay differ?
Probably not much. Since L4D's various game modes are already rather arcade-dy.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
kajinking said:
Urgh76 said:
Yes, dear god yes. I was expecting the first Anime refrence to be brought up would be Highschool of the dead but this one just makes me so much happier.
I'm going to make you even more excited.

Imagine this new character takes on her entire personality.

"Mitch, let him bite you, we need to see the results!"

"Fascinating how these creatures work..."

Along with cutscenes of her getting an inch away from zombies faces, nearly getting eaten each time, but a smile of wonder plastered on her face.

We need to make this happen now. This Hanji-Zoe character shall be the new and improved Ellis, but without the redneck jokes

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Based on that video, I really couldn't see a difference between the Left 4 Dead's and this game, other than the really obnoxious voice acting.

But since this is Valve we're talking about, I'm sure it's destined to make all of the dollars.